Big horns everywhere

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Patty and I just returned from a 8 day trip. Our 1st day out we stopped in Pismo Beach and spent the night there. There were 4 Big Horns (1 periment). With our BH and Marty and Theresa's (Sandman) Sundance there were 6 HL's in the park. We did make contact with 1 owner and told him about the forum.

The next day the 4 of us went on to Morro Bay ( Morro Dunes) CG. There was a 3670 in that CG but was leaving as we arrived. There was also a BH in the CG across the street but we never made contact with the owner.

On the way home on Sunday we passed a BH on 166 about 11:30, they were west bound and was being pulled by a dark blue TV. Ford I think. We were about 30 miles from Maricopa Calif.

We had a good trip but have an issue with a slight shower leak ( loose shower knob base) and the front axle that is now quite a bit out of alignment. Eating tires. :eek: Going to get under the Horn today a see what happened. I think the center support on the off door side Mor/Ryde suspension took a dive. Sounds like fun to me to change it. We still love the ol' Horn. I-5 is just a junk road. Our Calif. tax dollars at work. Bob and Pat:D:D:D:D

Last edited:

Dale and Jen

Funtimers
Hi Bob
Dale and I know all too well about the trouble you're having. Every time we come back from a short trip Dale has to realign the underside. We had four China "bombs" (tires) that we had to replace, after only 1200 miles on them, we had to replace two axles because of tremendous "toe out" when it should be "toe in". U bolts are too soft. Torqued them to 75 ft lbs, applied masking tape to springs and axle pad, then cut tape between spring and axle pad and drew a line. went up to our son's place in San Jose, when we arrived, he looked underneath and they had moved back about 1/8" on lefthand side. Came home and realigned them again. Torqued U bolts nuts again to 75 lbs, went out next a.m. four different nuts required retorquing. Came to conclusion that the U bolts are soft steel (China?) same as the springs made in China. prior to this the right rear spring shackle broke because it is made out of sheet metal when it should be made out of 5/16th steel, which is what we replaced it with. Called Lippert and they said to weld a tube between the two front spring mounts and the two rear spring mounts. They informed me to use 1/8" steel square tubing 66 3/16" long 2x2. If they would have put 5/16th steel spring mounts to begin with, these would not have broken. The spring mounts from factory are not quite 1/8" sheet metal. Dale did all this himself!
So we understand your "pain"!!!! We also still love our Big Horn, from the frame up!!!! Good luck!!
Jen and Dale

cjbearden

Visitor
Hold on guys, you are scaring us talking about those CA highways! What do you think, Ray, are we making a mistake??? Guess we will really be testing our M/R IS and disc brakes. After I-80 and various other highways we have traveled (see our map of states visited, especially I-40 through OK City), we didn't think we could experience anything worse.

Glad you are getting well practiced, Bob, at fixing stuff so you can spend your weekends helping us out:eek:;):D

Arriving in Hemet on 9/21, coming in from Bakersfield - stay close to the phone, Bob! Send up some prayers also. Be seeing you soon.

Carolyn and J.D. Wigley

Theresau

We're in Shelbyville, MI and there are many Heartlands here - 2 Landmarks, 6 Big Horns, and a Cyclone.

(Hidden Ridge RV)

Theresa

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Carolyn, if you come down the I-5 stay in the 2nd lane. Its much smoother. Remember that you have to come over the "5" mile and down the other side. If I were coming from Bakersfield, I would take the 58 to 4 corners and turn right on ol' 395. Which takes you to the I-15 then come down the hill. A lot better road, just a little farther out of the way. Bob:D