Bigger Fuel Tank

dvanden75

Anyone running a bigger midship fuel tank on their trucks? I have a 2011 Ford F250 and would like a bigger tank than the standard 26 gallon. Would you choose plastic or aluminized steel?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have an aluminum in bed 60 gallon auxiliary tank. It is gravity fed works good and I love it. I think the cost was around a grand.

Peace
Dave

davebennington

We have a 60 gallon RDS tool box/fuel tank from Northern tool. I installed a solenoid switch and a inline fuel pump with a filter. This seems to work just fine as it lets me run about 1000 to 1100 miles before filling up (sometimes needing a bank loan for the fill up).

Dave

PUG

Pug
Plastic I believe is not legal per DOT. I prefer Alum vs Alum/steel and cost wont be that much different. I investigated buying a tank from one of the suppliers on line and having one made locally. On line was around $850 to $1000 (plus shipping Plus T kit) with a local shop building per my specs was about $800 (plus T Kit). I am a cheap skate so I decided to build my own. I purchased 1/8 inch alum, outlet bungs, filler pipe, cap, and a RDS T kit to cut into my main fuel line for straight gravity feed. I am in to my tank (34 gal) about $600 and a fair amount of labor helping to set up, gather materials, cleaning, cutting T in etc. If I did it again I would go with a local builder and buy the T kit and install. The T kit was quite easy to put in. It lets you gravity feed without overfilling and protects in case of roll over and was about $150.

jolar3329

I have a 50 gallon in bed tank from transfer flow. They advertise in most trailer magazines. Their system is fully automatic. It comes with a guage package that displays aux tank gal, main tank gal, and total. It also displays when the pump is on. The 50 gal tank is below the bed rails.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We have a 60 gallon RDS tool box/fuel tank from Northern tool. I installed a solenoid switch and a inline fuel pump with a filter. This seems to work just fine as it lets me run about 1000 to 1100 miles before filling up (sometimes needing a bank loan for the fill up).

Dave

We have the exact same set-up in the Kodiak.....unfortunately, we don't get but maybe 900 miles before we have to fill up....still better than the 300 we got before the auxilliary tank!

truknutt

Committed Member
Have a 67 gallon Titan Replacement tank on the 450. I weighed the pros & cons of more capacity vs. more weight and went with the Titan. Works for me and I don't lose any bed space.

dvanden75

I was leaning more towards the titan rather than the transfer flow tank. Does the tank screw up the trucks computer or is there a fix for that?

bill40

Have a 67 gallon Titan Replacement tank on the 450. I weighed the pros & cons of more capacity vs. more weight and went with the Titan. Works for me and I don't lose any bed space.
Like Dave we had a Titan on our other truck, but as the years went buy and the back and kidneys got worse we felt the factory
would work on this truck. One of the benefits of getting older you don't tend to drive as far between stops. Works for us.:eek:

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
I have had for about 7 years (in 2 different trucks) a gravity flow tank plimbed into the 1 inch overflow line. Have not had any problem. I open the valve about half way and let it flow. when my fuel gage stats to go down I kbow I have to look for a service station in about 200 km as I will then be down to about half a tank.

Ricoh

Past Ontario Chapter Leader
I have a 30 gal low profile in bed ATTA tank. It is computerized to refill my OEM tank when it reaches under 1/2 full and fill it back up then shut off. Works really well but pricey.

Rick

ricatic

Titan has said they will have their 52 gallon poly replacement tank for the 2011 F series short box truck available sometime this month. It is a DOT approved tank that locates where the OEM tank is now. It will retail for around $1000. The truck fuel computer can not be reprogrammed, at this time, to correctly display the approximate miles to empty. This is the only complaint I have with the new truck. 26 gallons of fuel is not enough for this truck.

shovelguy

I don't know much about this sort of stuff but I do know that my husband replaced our stock 26 gallon fuel tank on our 2007 GMC with a 40 gallon tank and it was great when we were on our landcruise. We always had enough and then some to go our standard 200 to 250 miles a day. j

Bernie55

I have a FDS, 51 gal. tool/box, gas tank. Bought it is Fla. from the dealer, about $650, 4 years ago..Gravity feed, easy to install...Level with truck bed, i keep the valve open, and when i see my gas guage start to move, i know the FDS tank is empty......My best investment yet.. ( other than my Heartland, of course )......

Northern Virginia
Titan has said they will have their 52 gallon poly replacement tank for the 2011 F series short box truck available sometime this month....This is the only complaint I have with the new truck. 26 gallons of fuel is not enough for this truck.

That has been everyone's complaint with the GMC and Chevy. GM's new 2011 have 36 gallon tanks. That sucks about the Fords. I hate our 26 gallon tank.

robnmo

We've got a 92 Gal transfer flow in bed. Bit overkill and really sucks when it's fill up time but having a travel range of about 1000 to 1200 mile towing and 1900 to 2000 without the 5th wheel is pretty nice.

tmcran

Best investment I have made in after market items. Have the Titian 52 gal. Replaces the OEM 26 gal. I need the bed space and it works great. Made from same material as OEM. Lite weigth and no rust.

truknutt

Committed Member
I was leaning more towards the titan rather than the transfer flow tank. Does the tank screw up the trucks computer or is there a fix for that?

I haven't experienced any probs with the computer, yet. It did take a couple of full tanks completely run through to get it to pick up the additional "Miles to Empty".