Bighorn 3585 - falling apart?

picked up a 2017 3585rl jan 19 2018 in portland ore at CURTIS rv...was a used but very little and new cond,,had hunted for the yeti package for a long time.very near 60k and payed for,,suppose a 30 day warranty...towed home to mt.great,,left for quartite arizona rok and gem show...pulled in to beaver utah for fuel,station man there said you have have problems,bolts were loose in the suspension,tried to tighten them,they jacked it up and the took the e-z flex and dexter suspension apart it all fell out on the ground,rotted rusted,all shackle bolts were eaten half into,all shakel were rubbed inhalf,bushings were all eaten out,all holes way oblong out and ruined , and on top that it had eaten all 4 of our G 14 plys to the cords,and beat 1 shock absorber to nearly fall off,1000$ to fix before i move,1000$ for four new tires,350 for new shocks,,,this was feb 13 2018.have contact CURTIS several time,,no reply,on top all the man took the # off the side tag and said this is a 2016 made april 2016 and titled as a 2017 and sold to me as a 2017 and titled that way..there is a 5k$ diff in these two years..fictitious title ???.is this a factory warrenty thing,this was never ever grease by any one,course took a on of piks and got all reciepts..now where?????

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary521

Re: ATF: Sundance - new trailer fell apart

Suspension bolts/shackles are notorious for wearing rather quickly. I replaced mine after a short time on a new unit and they were worn pretty good. Yes, the model year changes in the first part of the year.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: ATF: Sundance - new trailer fell apart

Just a little information here, if your trailer was built in 2016 then you potentially bought a two year old trailer. You said used very little but it's hard to believe that the suspension wore out in the thousand miles you towed it. It may have been used more than the dealer said.
In the RV world new models come out a year earlier than their model date. Mine was built in July 2010, it is titled as a 2011 model. So yours being built in 2016 is a 2017 model as titled.
Warranty does not transfer so this will be between you and Curtis RV. Someone didn't inspect the trailer very well.
Time to have a serious talk with Curtis.
Good luck with getting this resolved and come back to let us know how it all played out.

Peace
Dave

Last edited:

jimtoo

Re: ATF: Bighorn - new 3585 fell apart

Tell us this,,, did this person that told you your bolts were loose, was he riding around on a handicap chair or something like that? There has been a person in that area for years doing it. You were probably in a station across the street from his shop. He will catch you coming out or store, tell you he was just passing by your trailer and saw that you have problems and then have someone from shop come and twist bolt, saying it's loose and worn and needs to jack it up and check it. Then he will offer to change the bolt or tire free cause he don't want to see anyone hurt, but then when they take it apart ,,, well guess what,,, it's all worn out and you need all new stuff. And since your trailer is in his shop you have to agree and spend the money.

Jim M

danemayer

Sorry to hear all this. Do a google search on "Beaver Utah Repair Scam".

That aside, you may have had worn out suspension parts. It can be difficult to assess the condition of the suspension components when buying a used trailer. You don't know how many miles the trailer has on it, or how it was towed, or any of a number of things. And of course sales people will always tell you it was lightly used. But if the dealer gave you a 30 day warranty (hopefully in writing), they ought to take responsibility.

Good luck.

Oregon_Camper

Tell us this,,, did this person that told you your bolts were loose, was he riding around on a handicap chair or something like that? There has been a person in that area for years doing it. You were probably in a station across the street from his shop. He will catch you coming out or store, tell you he was just passing by your trailer and saw that you have problems and then have someone from shop come and twist bolt, saying it's loose and worn and needs to jack it up and check it. Then he will offer to change the bolt or tire free cause he don't want to see anyone hurt, but then when they take it apart ,,, well guess what,,, it's all worn out and you need all new stuff. And since your trailer is in his shop you have to agree and spend the money.

Jim M

Sure sounds like the same scam...over and over

http://archive.sltrib.com/article.php?id=2273839&itype=CMSID

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politic...ate-regulators-for-defrauding-i-15-travelers/

LBR

The trailer could have been taken to every RV show in the PNW, which could account for thousands of miles.

Oregon_Camper

The trailer could have been taken to every RV show in the PNW, which could account for thousands of miles.

Heck...prior owner could have taken it to Alaska and back. BTW...Curtis Trailers does not have a good reputation around here. Horrible service...IMHO

NYSUPstater

For farts and giggles, let's assume that OP did have an issue w/ the susp bolts and all. If orig, by the sounds of it, I'd agree as well that it saw many miles of use in order to wear out the cheap crap susp components used by mfr's. Bushings wore out thus causing the shackles to egg out which in turn started the chain reaction. If one keeps the leaf spring susp, they need to install the Wet Bolts. Not sure how long the bronze bushings last, but waaay better than the nylon crap from factory. If one goes the IS route, problem solved to the tune of a few grand.

Jim M
--exact same cenerio jim,only the lot attendant sweeping herd it binding...it was called beaver i-15 tire,,I AM A GEAR HEAD FROM ****,past champion drag racer,and street rod builder so i know this stuff,,,i did notice the tires wearing funny inside and out side.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,oh yes,you have a loose bolt,pull over to the side and will tighten for free..acorse it spun and would not tightn,,then with wieght off i could see the suspention floppen around,,and acousre they just happen to have the upgraged dexter 1k kit in stock...it littlerly fell out and apart so it was due anyway...........AH.JUST LOOKED AT eTRAILER e-z flex shackle kit i paid 860.00$ sells for 429$...i hate getting ripped,,,...dont know where to turn...7 emails,,,3 phone calls to curtis trailer portland and no reply,no reply from dexter or from heartland...............70 year old heartland owners should not be ripped or take like this......bill and sally in mt

jimtoo

--exact same cenerio jim,only the lot attendant sweeping herd it binding...it was called beaver i-15 tire,,I AM A GEAR HEAD FROM ****,past champion drag racer,and street rod builder so i know this stuff,,,i did notice the tires wearing funny inside and out side.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,oh yes,you have a loose bolt,pull over to the side and will tighten for free..acorse it spun and would not tightn,,then with wieght off i could see the suspention floppen around,,and acousre they just happen to have the upgraged dexter 1k kit in stock...it littlerly fell out and apart so it was due anyway...........AH.JUST LOOKED AT eTRAILER e-z flex shackle kit i paid 860.00$ sells for 429$...i hate getting ripped,,,...dont know where to turn...7 emails,,,3 phone calls to curtis trailer portland and no reply,no reply from dexter or from heartland...............70 year old heartland owners should not be ripped or take like this......bill and sally in mt

Those guys can probably make anything look loose and bad. I did not go for the low tire or loose bolt because I also have over 35 years experience working on cars, trucks and trailers, so I know the suspension can be made to look loose and worn by flopping the spring hanger. Sounds like they found another victim and made another buck or two. Yep,, you got ripped off. :(

Jim M

Those guys can probably make anything look loose and bad. I did not go for the low tire or loose bolt because I also have over 35 years experience working on cars, trucks and trailers, so I know the suspension can be made to look loose and worn by flopping the spring hanger. Sounds like they found another victim and made another buck or two. Yep,, you got ripped off. :(

Jim M
..thanks jim.a little sunshine on this matter,,just got an email with paper work from dexter axle to start waurrenty investagation and refund...ya...maybe

curtis trailer in portland

hold your hand tightly over private parts when dealing with these people,,,...they dont want to cover our wore parts they sold us..its a wonder we didnt kill our selves .pay a buisness 60k you think you would get a care and courtesy on there product......selling bad wore stuff and not disclosing problems,,they had to have know..own it 23 day,and have to put out 2000$ in repairs,,scammed in southern utah on top of all too,,,oh the GOLDEN YEARS ARE JUST A RIOT.

ac7nj

Re: curtis trailer in portland

hold your hand tightly over private parts when dealing with these people,,,...they dont want to cover our wore parts they sold us..its a wonder we didnt kill our selves .pay a buisness 60k you think you would get a care and courtesy on there product......selling bad wore stuff and not disclosing problems,,they had to have know..own it 23 day,and have to put out 2000$ in repairs,,scammed in southern utah on top of all too,,,oh the GOLDEN YEARS ARE JUST A RIOT.

I totaly agree with you we are now persona non grata because of the issues with our NEW RV. The salesperson was great but the service dept. I can’t say enough bad about here.

Oregon_Camper

Re: curtis trailer in portland

I totaly agree with you we are now persona non grata because of the issues with our NEW RV. The salesperson was great but the service dept. I can’t say enough bad about here.

I'm not here to defend Curtis, but note the OP said the RV was "used"....not "new". The dealer has a responsibility to do due diligence to test the RV, but what was done by the buyer during his PDI to test/validate everything, before paying for the RV?

..thanks jim.a little sunshine on this matter,,just got an email with paper work from dexter axle to start waurrenty investagation and refund...ya...maybe
heres a pik,hope it works

Attachments

• DSCN3492.jpg
    DSCN3492.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 126

heres a pik,hope it works..................................... AFTER 70 YEARS OF LIFE AND SERVING THIS COUNTY WHERE THE RICE GROWS ,YOU WOULD THING A TOTALLY DISABLED SENIOR WOULDN'T GET RIPPED AND INJECTED,I DONT ASK NOBODY FOR NO HELP.CURTIS TRAILER SHOULD HAVE A RESPONSIBILITY NOT TO SELL SOMETHING LIKE THIS TO A SENIOR OR ANY 1 ELSE FOR THAT MATTER ,,AND THEY DO A TOTAL INSPECTION AND CLEANING,THE ORIG TIRES (G) WERE AS NEW BUT SHOW A LITTLE WEAR ON THE EDGES,,I ASK STAN ABOUT THE SALEMAN,,OH THAT IS NORMAL WEAR,,..WHO KNOWS...AMERICAN PRIDE(HAH),AND THE ALL MIGHTY DOLLAR IS WHAT IT BOILS DOWN TO.OUT THE DOOR,NO 1 CARES.ITS MINE,I PAYED CASH,I WILL EAT IT AS USUAL AND TELL MYSELF BOY THAT FELT GOOD,WE DO LOVE OUR BIGHORN 3585 YETI TRAILER WITH ALL THE OPTION AND EXTRAS,,LIFE GOES ON:cool:,,I DID FILE A GREAVANCE WITH SALT LAKE TRIBUNE ON THE UTAH SCAM,I PAYED $900 FOR 279$ WORTH OF PARTS

LBR

You just joined here couple days ago and are already screaming in CAPS....please leave and go to Facebook where those page Admins can coddle your grievances. Your behavior is not what this site is for.

You just joined here couple days ago and are already screaming in CAPS....please leave and go to Facebook where those page Admins can coddle your grievances. Your behavior is not what this site is for.
i am new to this,i dont realise the letters are screaming,i love out bighorn,i am a 1 finger typest,please be easy on me,no intent you scream at no 1

- - - Updated - - -

i am new to this,i dont realise the letters are screaming,i love out bighorn,i am a 1 finger typest,please be easy on me,no intent you scream at no 1
LBR,i deleted all just for you are happy..thanks sir:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: