Bighorn 3585 - falling apart?

porthole

Retired
Re: ATF: Bighorn - new 3585 fell apart

..thanks jim.a little sunshine on this matter,,just got an email with paper work from dexter axle to start warranty investigation and refund...ya...maybe

Did you pay with a credit card? If so you can always file a claim with the CC company. Worded correctly the CC company will pull the funds paid and force the company to justify the charges.

And although the comment about you screamin might have been a bit harsh, if you are not aware of it, using all capital letters on the "net" is akin to 'yelling' at people.
Personally, when I see all caps I tend to not even read the text.

Hope you get it worked out, and if no one said it today, thanks for your service.

CoveredWagon

You just joined here couple days ago and are already screaming in CAPS....please leave and go to Facebook where those page Admins can coddle your grievances. Your behavior is not what this site is for.

A little touchy aren’t we ?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
It's hard to tell from the pic the OP posted. Can you take some closer up to the parts. From a distance, they look like they are corroded with salt, but don't look worn out to me. The holes in the shackles still look round, not oblong, from this angle. The rubber donut from the suspension still looks to be in the correct shape, not misshapen or cracked.

I just want to see they truly were worn out/damaged.

For comparison here's a worn out shackle.

7a1514534dd30db5136006c38c557551.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wore out 2017 parts,for the guy didnt believe me

these are posted piks for the nice gentleman that called me a liar about my parts

Attachments

• DSCN3501.jpg
    DSCN3501.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 92
  • DSCN3492.jpg
    DSCN3492.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCN3495.jpg
    DSCN3495.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCN3493.jpg
    DSCN3493.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCN3498.jpg
    DSCN3498.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCN3494.jpg
    DSCN3494.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCN3500.jpg
    DSCN3500.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 86

avvidclif

Re: wore out 2017 parts,for the guy didnt believe me

Lack of grease. Mostly rust with some wear. Probably never greased from factory.

danemayer

The one picture is too out of focus to see what's worn, but the others, particularly the shackle link pics, don't look to me like they're very worn. TravelTiger posted a picture of what a worn shack link looks like. Post #23.

Was the rust evident when you bought the trailer?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Do you know in what state that RV was originally titled?
Maybe check with the DMV to find out that information.
That might explain the rust and corrosion.

Peace
Dave

.i dont let crap wear out till it kills someone like that...for a site full of know it all IENSTIENS,top notch mech and rude old fat guys,there is little to no knowledge from posts here,every one has there own and different opinion...i like it ,thank you:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: have a nice day

3585rl parts worn out

.hi dave it was new in portland ore less than 1 year ago..it sold new 7/10/17///i got 1/15/18
Dave[/QUOTE]i didn't see any problem with it upon first inspection at curtis in portland ore...pulled 1300 miles,stopped,could smell plastic burning,could find the source,was the cheip plastic bushing in the bolt shackles,,is what it is,i will eat it and smile,what else can you due,these big bighorn are jaw dropping beautiful when new or near new as this 1 is...i am happy,but when you pay 60k you shouldnt have to start dropping 1000$ bills into in 23 days...bill and sally..off to the car wash,but,it says 13feet 5 in,we are 13,3 so dont think will chance it..bucket and brush as soon as abouve 32degrees

Last edited by a moderator:

porthole

Retired
.i dont let crap wear out till it kills someone like that...for a site full of know it all IENSTIENS,top notch mech and rude old fat guys,there is little to no knowledge from posts here,every one has there own and different opinion...i like it ,thank you:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: have a nice day

Welllllllllll, I'm not an Einstein (although we live close by to his USA homestead), nor a rude old fat guy (maybe sometimes rude & getting old, but not ....), and maybe with only a little knowledge, but I am a top notch mechanic.

I did have something to add (positive I hope) but after this - I am done and unsubscribing.

I hope you come around and join some rallies, you will find a lot of helpful people that are part of the Club, and always willing to lend a hand.

danemayer

billfoster,

A lot of people who have years of experience with RV suspension are trying to give you feedback and advice. If you don't find everything helpful, so be it.

Let me suggest to all that we be respectful of one another.

CoveredWagon

Lack of grease. Mostly rust with some wear. Probably never greased from factory.

Aren’t these supposed to be never grease bushings? One of my first mods was to have a wet bolt installed when I had the disc brakes installed for this very reason. I don’t like greaseless suspensions anywhere.

NYSUPstater

The several pics looked like just plain ol factory junk. Being on west coast, amount of rust could be caused by salt from the ocean in air, being outside 24/7, on grass. Basically a number of factors. However, from the pics, I couldn't see where there was any abnormal wear unlike one posted by TT (I think). I know when I installed the wet bolts on last coach, the plastic bushings were worn, but shackles ok. New coach, bushings weren't worn, but a PITA to remove. Had to "pound" them out w/ a socket.