Bighorn 3685rl vs Sanibel 3500rl

lowryc50

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and we(wife and I) are considering the Bighorn 3685rl. We are looking at going full time next spring and originally had been set on the Sanibel 3500 but we saw the Bighorn 3685rl at the Camping World of Nashville lot over Labor Day weekend. They both have similar tank sizes, features and floorplan however the Bighorn has the Washer/Dryer hook ups in a closet near the entry door instead of in the closet in the bedroom. I am not familiar with the Heartland construction and quality and would appreciate some feedback on what current owners of Heartland models especially Bighorns have to say. We do plan to travel the country so durability is important. Any information would be very helpful in making our decision. Also if there are any options that you would recommend as need to have. Thank you Curt

jimtoo

Hi Curt,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I don't think you will be disappointed with a Heartland Unit. No,,, they are not perfect, but with the customer support of the factory and support of the Heartland family here on the forum we can overcome almost all problems. You will meet the best folks in the rv world and if you can attend the Heartland rallies in your area you will make friends for a life time and eat the best food there is.

I'm sure we will get more recommendations, but if you order one I would order with dual-pane windows and any of the other options you feel you need. Also,, if available from the factory get the upgrade on the tires and wheels.

Enjoy the forum and hopefully we will see you on the road in a Heartland.

Jim M

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Bighorn durability??? Six solid years of fulltime living and over 80k miles...problems? Sure, a few, but Heartland always took care of everything and was even helpful after the warranty was over. We loved it so much we upgraded to the Landmark and are now fulltiming in it...we will be a Heartlander for life!!

You can't go wrong with a Heartland!

danemayer

If you plan on doing lots of cross-country driving, factory order upgraded tires - Goodyear G614 which is what ships on Landmarks.

kowAlski631

After 3 years of research (going to RV shows, RV dealer lots, touring the factories where the manufacture happens, & asking LOTS of questions on this & other RV forums), we decided that the HL product was much better than others. We fell in love with the BH3670 floorplan & special ordered ours to get exactly what we wanted - dual window panes, Yeti package, 2nd AC unit, etc. We've full-timed in ours since late April & are very pleased. Had some small issues which you expect with any RV, but HL customer service is easy to work with.
No regrets here.

Martha

Bobby A

Love our Bighorn, been full time in it for going on 4 years now, some problems ?? sure, but Heartlands customer service is AMAZING, and this forum is like a 24 hour 7 day a week tech support. That's what I tell people when we work the Tampa show. As others say, dual pane windows and Goodyear G614 tires. We ordered our coach and went down and seen it on line being built, if you order, Heartland can make slight modifications per your request. Good luck !!

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Heartland is offering 2 + 5 yr warranty. You would have to research both Sanibel and HL warranties to see exactly what they cover. On our 2nd Heartland product in 4 yrs. BigHorn to Landmark this spring. Love them both.

WCW

According to the Sanibel online owner manual the warranty is voided if used as a permanent residence.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Heartland is offering 2 + 5 yr warranty. You would have to research both Sanibel and HL warranties to see exactly what they cover. On our 2nd Heartland product in 4 yrs. BigHorn to Landmark this spring. Love them both.

The 2&5 warranty applies to Landmark only...unless they changed for 2014....

lowryc50

Thank you to everyone that responded to my question. This is the kind of assurance that I was looking for. I realize that all RV's will have their share of problems but it's good to know that when a problem does happen the company will respond quickly and handle the issue to your satisfaction. With the input from you all and the prodding from the wife I am also leaning toward the Bighorn. I have already talked with others that recommend changing out the tires and wheels(17.5 in wheels and H rated tires). It doesn't seem like the dealers keep this model on the lot to get a better view. Only saw the one in Nashville and would like to get another look up close before making a purchase. How did you all make your choice? Did you see the model you wanted at an RV show? Did you order it there? Were you able to see it on the dealer lot and then order with the options you wanted? Just curious how you did it. Thanks Curt PS - I forgot to add that I spoke to a company rep at the Chicago RV show last winter and they stated that full time use would not void the warranty.

Theresau

If at all possible, it's really good to get a look at the RV before ordering. This prevents surprises. The HL website doesn't always have current pictures - decor and graphics have recently changed for the BH. There are pics on this site for both if you search.

How far are you from Elkhart - I noted you are in IL - a factory tour of BH's would really help and it's a great deal of fun. Last I understood, the BH's come with E rated tires - we strongly believe these need to be upgraded. We ordered G rated Goodyears.

There are also dealers not far from IL in IN and western MI that would have a great deal of BH's to review.

Before ordering the 2014 BC, I can't tell you how many times we went to the dealer to get a better look at the decor and the floorplan to finalize which we wanted to order. We would just sit there and stare at the cabinets, etc. to see how well they fit our lifestyle. And "I" checked out the decor to be sure it would work for "me." And it did - very pleased with it.

Best of luck.

Thank you to everyone that responded to my question. This is the kind of assurance that I was looking for. I realize that all RV's will have their share of problems but it's good to know that when a problem does happen the company will respond quickly and handle the issue to your satisfaction. With the input from you all and the prodding from the wife I am also leaning toward the Bighorn. I have already talked with others that recommend changing out the tires and wheels(17.5 in wheels and H rated tires). It doesn't seem like the dealers keep this model on the lot to get a better view. Only saw the one in Nashville and would like to get another look up close before making a purchase. How did you all make your choice? Did you see the model you wanted at an RV show? Did you order it there? Were you able to see it on the dealer lot and then order with the options you wanted? Just curious how you did it. Thanks Curt PS - I forgot to add that I spoke to a company rep at the Chicago RV show last winter and they stated that full time use would not void the warranty.

noobee

the prodding from the wife I am also leaning toward the Bighorn

No doubt about it: go with the BH... if you don't the wife won't be happy & your RVing life will be miserable.

lowryc50

the prodding from the wife I am also leaning toward the Bighorn

No doubt about it: go with the BH... if you don't the wife won't be happy & your RVing life will be miserable.

I have definitely learned that over the years. Would like to go on a tour of the factory too to help make the decision.

mslater

went on the tour about 3 weeks ago ....interesting..... bring a flashlight with you, they had the factory lights turned off, only the minimal " night lights " were on so it was hard to see what is actually going on. kind of disappointing

Greengas

You mentioned the different locations of the washer and dryer hookup. To my wife and I, not having the hookup in the bedroom was a big plus. It gave us much more space in the bedroom closet which if we ever decide to go full time will be a big benefit. Also, having the washer/dryer hookup inside the door gives us a nice coat closet.

lowryc50

went on the tour about 3 weeks ago ....interesting..... bring a flashlight with you, they had the factory lights turned off, only the minimal " night lights " were on so it was hard to see what is actually going on. kind of disappointing

Thanks for the heads up. I will certainly do that. Not sure when that will be. I hope soon but life gets in the way.

lowryc50

You mentioned the different locations of the washer and dryer hookup. To my wife and I, not having the hookup in the bedroom was a big plus. It gave us much more space in the bedroom closet which if we ever decide to go full time will be a big benefit. Also, having the washer/dryer hookup inside the door gives us a nice coat closet.

Not sure when we will get a W/D when we go full time but I agree extra space in the bedroom would be nice and the extra coat closet at the enry door.