Bighorn 3685rl vs Sanibel 3500rl

noobee

We do not have a W/D... use the room for storage with shelving... extra storage is a good idea when going fulltime & we found that using the parks' laundromats is another place for socializing.

Theresau

We took the tour during live production this year - was much more interesting than after hours which we did in 2009 when we ordered the BH. We made the appt. ourselves and all we had to wear were safety glasses and we had a tour guide that walked us through the entire line in the plant. I did post pics afterward. We were supposed to see our BC in progress but it was done about 1/2 hour before our appt. We saw a BC sitting in the parking lot that was our model when we parked - learned later that it was ours finished. Great fun to see it - the dealer warned it would be dirty - it was totally clean. We were able to see a couple of other BC's that were our model just roll off the line as well. The line had both BH's and BC's in production that day (and possibly some LM's because there were a couple sitting in the parking lot as well).

Thanks for the heads up. I will certainly do that. Not sure when that will be. I hope soon but life gets in the way.

lowryc50

We took the tour during live production this year - was much more interesting than after hours which we did in 2009 when we ordered the BH. We made the appt. ourselves and all we had to wear were safety glasses and we had a tour guide that walked us through the entire line in the plant. I did post pics afterward. We were supposed to see our BC in progress but it was done about 1/2 hour before our appt. We saw a BC sitting in the parking lot that was our model when we parked - learned later that it was ours finished. Great fun to see it - the dealer warned it would be dirty - it was totally clean. We were able to see a couple of other BC's that were our model just roll off the line as well. The line had both BH's and BC's in production that day (and possibly some LM's because there were a couple sitting in the parking lot as well).

It certainly would be nice to take the tour. I wish the dealers near us had the 3685rl on their lot. I would really like to see the model again and go over it some more prior to going on a tour. Is it just me or does it seem like dealers don't have all the models available to see. How do you know what you like for sure if you can only see it on online and what the actual options and décor is currently available? IS it just the time of year? Keeping their inventory low? Waiting for the new 2014 models to come in?

mslater

It certainly would be nice to take the tour. I wish the dealers near us had the 3685rl on their lot. I would really like to see the model again and go over it some more prior to going on a tour. Is it just me or does it seem like dealers don't have all the models available to see. How do you know what you like for sure if you can only see it on online and what the actual options and décor is currently available? IS it just the time of year? Keeping their inventory low? Waiting for the new 2014 models to come in?
the 14 are out ... you are right we have been going thru the same frustration. we took a leap of faith and ordered one, was built yesterday ....cant wait to see what i bought .the heartland web site is pretty much useless the model i looked at appear to be maybe 2012 ... lots have changed , no longer has a u shaped kitchen ....it would seem with big ticket items like this and everyone owning a smart phone they could do a better job... the dealers aren't much help cant even use current price list or know about available options... GOOD LUCK

dave10a

I bought mine from Camping World in Ocala thinking that I wanted nation wide dealer. Well what a big mistake. First, Camping World is a fanchise and each dealer treats you very differently and do not seem to have any influence from corporate. Second, I paid a little more because of their large network of dealers-- which I now regret. Third, the Ocala dealership turns out to be a very bad choice. They are friendly but incompetent, if I was to do it again I would purchase from Lazy Days near Tampa. They are competent and actually stand behind what they sell. Fifth, buy a unit that makes you happy and do negotiate the best price. I can't say which is better between the units you mentioned, but I suspect they are basically built the same. Most manufacturers follow each other very closely and to get high end you pay high end and to pay mid point you get mid point. When some one says theirs is good they should be very specific as to why they make any claim or opinion. No one is going to bash something they purchased because they want to protect their investment and mostly their opinion/judgment.

lowryc50

Thanks mslater, Nice to know somone else is going through what we are. Just had the one opportunity to see the 3685rl at the Camping World in Nashville and the wife really liked it for the W/D closet at the entry door area instead of the bedroom. It would just be nice to see it again without having to go through a tour of the factory. That way I can decide if I actually want to go through the factory because I am actually going to buy. No one wants to make this process simple.

lowryc50

I bought mine from Camping World in Ocala thinking that I wanted nation wide dealer. Well what a big mistake. First, Camping World is a fanchise and each dealer treats you very differently and do not seem to have any influence from corporate. Second, I paid a little more because of their large network of dealers-- which I now regret. Third, the Ocala dealership turns out to be a very bad choice. They are friendly but incompetent, if I was to do it again I would purchase from Lazy Days near Tampa. They are competent and actually stand behind what they sell. Fifth, buy a unit that makes you happy and do negotiate the best price. I can't say which is better between the units you mentioned, but I suspect they are basically built the same. Most manufacturers follow each other very closely and to get high end you pay high end and to pay mid point you get mid point. When some one says theirs is good they should be very specific as to why they make any claim or opinion. No one is going to bash something they purchased because they want to protect their investment and mostly their opinion/judgment.

I completely agree Dave, The big dealers aren't always the best way to go. Both the Sanibel and Bighorn are comparable in features the only difference is the wife likes the W/D in the main area instead of the bedroom. I like them both and am leaning toward the Bighorn due to her opinion. I guess I may have to just talk with a dealer and add the options we want and negotiate the best price and go from there. I don't think I would be disappointed going either way. I wish the dealer I bought my little Jayco 22FB carried Heartland. I think they would be willing to work with me the best. We shall see.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
After just shy of a year in our 3685 I have not found anything that I didn't like and we plan to full time in 19 months.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

lowryc50

After just shy of a year in our 3685 I have not found anything that I didn't like and we plan to full time in 19 months.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

Debbie, thank you for your comment. As I said I am sure I would not be disappointed in purchasing the Bighorn 3685rl. I just wish dealers had more of them in stock to look at. I have looked on line and have not found a dealer within 150 miles that has one. They have the other models but not that one. I would have to travel to Western IA, TX, VA, FL, TN, etc to find one to look at. That is just not easy to do. We do have dealers closer but not with 3685's on the lot. Any suggestions other than a factory tour? Is this just not the right time of year? Is it too early for dealers to have 2014 models on the lot? I have noticed that the Heartland website pictures don't accurately depict the decor and features for the upcoming year. We are looking at ordering after the first of the year(Jan/Feb 2014) unless I can find what I want(options) on a lot. Any help would be appreciated. Curt

kowAlski631

2014s have been out for some time now. Think production started in mid spring, but could be wrong. Give HL a call. Maybe they can suggest something.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Curt,

Being from NJ I don't really have an answer for you on the dealership. Have you spoken with Heartland about it? They know which units have been dispatched to what dealer. They also know what build orders have been placed and may be able to shed some light on units that will ship soon. The factory tour is an excellent opportunity for you if you can find a way to work it into your schedule.

Calling customer service and asking to speak with a Bighorn Rep will be a great first step. Email is less personal but may allow the rep to research the question before you speak in person. Good luck with your purchase and let us know how you make out.

Heartland Customer Service
877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030 or
eMail Heartland Service