Bighorn - Appliances - Added oven igniter

Bob Vaughn

Re: Oven igniter

This is a stroke of American Can Do great job I will be installing one in my oven ASAP getting to old for hands and knees.
SeaBee I tried to send you a private message but your mail box needs to be emptied......

traveler44

Re: Oven igniter

I'm glad to hear that somebody got theirs working properly. I added the electric ignition on mine too but with mine the pilot thermocouple has to be heated before it will release enough gas to ignite. I have to basically light it with a torch to start with and then it won't light again with the electric igniter after it cools off. So I have an electric igniter that is basically useless. I guess some of the ovens must bypass the thermocouple or something. It took me a while to find out why it would light with the igniter when already hot but not cold. That's when I found out that there is not enough gas being released on mine to light it until it goes into a second stage after being heated. Tom

wdk450

On the thought of Safety,

First, no gas is being released until the oven control is turned to Pilot setting. There is no more risk about a gas related problems with or with out this spark igniter in place. As long as the valve to the oven isn't turned on... no gas is released. Second, the oven is vent. This will allow the gas, should it be turned on accidently... to vent... which then should be noticed by the Magic Chief of the kitchen... or the Propane sensor in the RV.

As for the location of the push button for the new spark igniter... Well gosh it's located right next to the nob that makes the spark... that serves the three top burners.

I know that this is an old post, but I thought for peace of mind the "no gas is being released until the oven control is turned to Pilot setting." statement ought to be clarified. No gas is released when the knob is first (pilot sensor bulb cold) turned to the "Pilot" position. Gas is only released to the pilot orfice when the knob is PUSHED AND HELD INWARD in the "Pilot" setting. After the pilot flame is lit for about 40 seconds, and the pilot sensor bulb is sufficiently heated, gas flow to the pilot flame is continued when the knob is released from being pushed inward in the "Pilot" position, and in any of the baking temperature positions.