Bighorn - Blackwater tank issues

Philp55

2008 Big Horn 3100RL, Purchased used about 6months ago.

My black water after our last weekend on the California coast refused to drain. I tried back flushing and snaking from the downstream side to no success. I have tried high presser water through the Toilet with no success. Finally i snaked the toilet and the snake hooked up on something, as i pulled up on the snake the black tank started to drain. Refilling the tank from the toilet with freshwater, the dump was blocked again. the snake was needed to move whatever the blockage is. What could possibly be solid and blocking the tank? RV is sitting now with about 5 gallons of water and about 5 times the recommended toilet chemical.

jimtoo

Hi Philp,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Being a used unit you could have most anything in the tank from solids build up to a rag or maybe even the cutout of the tank itself. If your chemicals don't do the job, I would try to get camera and look in the tank with one of the flexible tubes things. Kinda like do a colonoscopy. :)
Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new to you unit.

Jim M

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I have a friend that had this same exact issue on his used Big Horn. They had to run a camera up in there and found a PVC elbow that somehow was left in the tank from the factory. Good luck and let us know what you find.

GOTTOYS

When they cut the hole in the tank for the vent fitting the plug that is cut out out often is left in the tank and needs to be fished out. I wouldn't use any toilet chemicals in the the tank. They don't do anything but stink...Don

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
If you think it is possibly a solids (ie- toilet paper and other solids) and not a piece of plastic, you might try running some hot water in there and let it soak for a few minutes to see if that loosens it up.

And if you can, while that hot water is in there you might try jostling the trailer (ie.- pulling forwards and backwards and jamming the brakes) . . . this might also loosen it up!

Philp55

I do believe its solids. When it drained with the use of the snake, as long as i had resistance on the snake it would drain. Once released it would not. My current thinking is that this unit sat in one spot for a long period with the black valve open and being used.

JohnD

My current thinking is that this unit sat in one spot for a long period with the black valve open and being used.

That is what I was thinking as well.

Hope you get it worked out . . . let us know the outcome!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Possibly it's the "dreaded poop pyramid" from lack of using a lot water when flushing.

JohnD

One other thought . . .

If your gray and black tank use the same drain you could try and use water in the gray tank to back flush into the black tank.

This might also knock loose whatever is blocking the drain.

Philp55

I have another two weeks before i return home. Just maybe the chemicals will help by that time. If not i will try all suggestions. Thanks for the help

rhodies1

I have a 2012 Bighorn had the same issue,used it for 2 yrs no problem, went to dump and nothing would drain,had to bring unit home and snake from the outside of the trailer inward, The snake would relieve the flow until I hauled oit out and then nothing.Finally I kept ramming the snake back and forth and behold out came a piece of the tank cutout,I had used this 5th wheel for 2 yrs and no issues.Try snaking from outside inward, you are going to have a mess,try catching as much as possible in buckets and have someone at the shut off valve to close if/when it breaks free.

Another thing you could try to see if it is toilet tissue and other solids is to dump 4 or 5 bags of ice cubes into the tank and go for a ride,,the ice sliding back and forth might work.
Good luck

LTZ

California-N Chapter Leaders-retired
2008 Big Horn 3100RL, Purchased used about 6months ago.

My black water after our last weekend on the California coast refused to drain. I tried back flushing and snaking from the downstream side to no success. I have tried high presser water through the Toilet with no success. Finally i snaked the toilet and the snake hooked up on something, as i pulled up on the snake the black tank started to drain. Refilling the tank from the toilet with freshwater, the dump was blocked again. the snake was needed to move whatever the blockage is. What could possibly be solid and blocking the tank? RV is sitting now with about 5 gallons of water and about 5 times the recommended toilet chemical.

Hi Phil & Barbara,

Welcome to the Owners Club. We sent you our contact information. Feel free to contact us anytime. Safe travels and we look forward to meeting.

Our friends who had the same problem also has the same model and year that you have. Might be worth running a scope up thru the tank for a look. Keep us posted on what you find.

Chuck & Donna

Piperflyer

While were on the plug drain subject, what kind of toilet paper does everyone use? RV paper or Septic safe?

JohnD

We use the Scott's RV toilet paper (get it in the RV section at Walmart).

The Thetford and Camco brands of TP that is sold at Camping World is like using sand paper . . .

mlpeloquin

Home septic tank approved toilet paper. Scots is the brand and Happy Camper. Breaks it down well. A plumber with a camera snake can find out exactly what is going on ASAP and may be worth the cost to get it fixed once and for all.

JohnD

I know a lot of folks will say they use regular TP with no problems . . .

But one thing to remember . . . it isn't our own septic tanks we are dumping in.