Bighorn NAME (Traveler)

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Re: Bighorn. NAME

I think some of you guys are getting into a tizzy over nothing . . .

It is just a new lower priced model . . .

Nothing more . . . nothing less.

BigGuy82

The last time I was in a "tizzy" was ... never ... I am however, not very happy. I just (as in 3 months ago) spent a boatload on a new coach that carries a quality name - Bighorn. Yes, that's important to me (the guy who spent the money) because it indicates to others that I appreciate quality products and it also may very well translate into bucks down the road when I trade up. Now, along comes the Bighorn Traveler - 20K less so of course have many corners cut, translating into vocal, disatisfied owners who's comments will quite likely deteriorate the value of the brand. If this is "nothing more ... nothing less" than a lower priced model, do you have any ideas why they couldn't call it the Heartland Traveler? Well, I'll tell you why - refer to my earlier quote from some VP of Very Important Stuff who is quoted as saying that "dealers wanted to leverage the Bighorn name". In other words, let's convince future customers that they are getting something they are not.

Unless the execs at Heartland have learned some new and mystic secret that allows them to trim the prce 15 to 20K while maintaining or raising quality, I would suggest that those who hold their breath to see where this goes will turn blue waiting. I'm aware that Heartland won't be changing anything based on my opinion, but it never hurts to let them know and maybe if they get enough flack, they will change. Heartland is not my pal or partner or anything other than the manufacturer of my product and I am their customer - right now, a concerned customer. They read these forums and if they don't agree with a thread, they can step in with their point of view.

As someone who just spent the long buck, I'm really not to happy about this move and I do believe this forum is an appropriate and excellent place to discuss this.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

It's my understanding that the traveler will be 15 to $20,000 less I don't see how this could be an upgrade whatsoever.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If this was related to my comments, I'm taking about a future upgrade to the Bighorn, NOT the Traveler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigGuy82

Ford made the Galaxy 500 then came out with a Pinto, still a Ford. I don't think the Galaxy 500 resale value suffered.
And Ford is still in business.

Peace
Dave

Can't disagree but also, they didn't call it the Ford Galaxy Pinto. It was the Ford Pinto and the Ford Galaxy 500. My point being that the new Traveler could be the Heartland Traveller just as we have the Heartland Bighorn, etc. Instead, we have the Heartland Bighorn Traveler. I don't object to any model (high or low price) - that's the manufacturfers prerogative. My objection is how tying the new model to one that has a known quality level will affect the value of my investment. As far as my coach, I'm happy with it.

Sorry for continuing to ramble on with this thread - I've said enough - hopefully someone at Heartland may find a message here.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired

They had the BigHorn Silverado a few years back. Then I believe the Silverado went into its own brand that eventually became the Oakmont. That didn't seem to hurt the BigHorn name. You still bought one and you're still happy with it.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders

When I bought my Silverado, I didn't buy it because it said Bighorn Silverado. I bought it because it was the floorplan we liked in the price range for us. We have been extremely pleased with I after 2 years of use. There are those that have been unhappy with a Bighorn before this time and some will be after this. Overall the success of a line depends on customer satisfaction.

iPhone Tapatalk

Noofear

If this was related to my comments, I'm taking about a future upgrade to the Bighorn, NOT the Traveler.

Sorry about that I miss read your post and later I thought it over and realize that you were talking about future upgrades to the Bighorn and not the traveler

Noofear

Can't disagree but also, they didn't call it the Ford Galaxy Pinto. It was the Ford Pinto and the Ford Galaxy 500. My point being that the new Traveler could be the Heartland Traveller just as we have the Heartland Bighorn, etc. Instead, we have the Heartland Bighorn Traveler. I don't object to any model (high or low price) - that's the manufacturfers prerogative. My objection is how tying the new model to one that has a known quality level will affect the value of my investment. As far as my coach, I'm happy with it.

Sorry for continuing to ramble on with this thread - I've said enough - hopefully someone at Heartland may find a message here.
Totally agree with you I bought the Bighorn a high-end product not to have it cannibalized by some lesser quality trailer down the road

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Sorry about that I miss read your post and later I thought it over and realize that you were talking about future upgrades to the Bighorn and not the traveler

No problem! ;)

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired

Gotta agree. BTW what's up with the furnace?

Noofear

What if they came out with the prowler traveler and decided to sell it for $25,000 how would you feel about that your investment being cut in half by a new name cannibalizing what you thought was a steady product line

Noofear

I also don't think any of us are in a tizzy we're just concerned about a six-figure investment that we made

Sarge

Personally it wouldnt make a difference since I keep vehicles ten years or longer -

But it could have a major impact on insurance replacements....

Sarge

codycarver

I'm sorry but if folks think any of these trailers are "investments" I've got a bridge to sell you. I knew going into these things it was a black hole and the more I spent the bigger the hole.

danemayer

Whenever I look at used RV valuations, such as NADA, I notice that they differentiate between models and floorplans without too much trouble. Smaller RVs in a model family may not cost quite as much as larger RVs. How a rig is configured affects the value. Options affect the value. And of course each model has a reference price as a new vehicle.

Seems like Bighorn Traveler will have a distinct reference price, with distinct equipment and features. It probably won't be hard to tell what's what.

Noofear

Sorry Cody but this was somewhat of an investment for me I sold my house and bought this. This is what I'm living in full time now I also realize it's going to go down in value over the time but the fact remains the initial investment is laid out

codycarver

Sorry Cody but this was somewhat of an investment for me I sold my house and bought this. This is what I'm living in full time now I also realize it's going to go down in value over the time but the fact remains the initial investment is laid out

That would make it a depreciating asset. A title I think that was invented so folks didn't feel so bad when what they just bought went down in value 30% to 50% the moment they drove it off the lot. Either way, Heartland branding The Bighorn as a Traveler isn't going to make our trailers depreciate any more than if they branded it with the "Titanium Gold edition" will make them appreciate.

BigGuy82

That would make it a depreciating asset.

Right. And the less it depreciates the better, right? And anything that may lead to any form of accellerated depreciation would be bad, meaning that those of us who are sensitive to such things have every right to be concerned. I didn't feel bad when the value dropped as soon as I drove it off the lot - I expect that (although I think 30% is about tops for me - if you're willing to take a 50% hit, I've got a bridge for you). What I don't expect is to find out 3 months after I bought that depreciating asset that a new "economy" version has just been introduced, especially after just being sold on the uber quality of the Bighorn. Do you think it is possible that the dealer knew the Traveler was coming while extolling the quality virtues of the Bighorn? Just sayin'.

Regarding these purchases being an investment, you really don't see it as such? I think it is. It's not an investment that I am expecting capital growth from, but it is something I intend to derive pleasure from and that I also expect to see a certain value from down the road when my heirs or I do decide to cash in. If you're going to keep it until the wheels fall off, great - you're in fat city. However, if your going to step up or cash out at some point, you should want it to be worth as much as possible. It seems to me that this is especially important to full timers who will likely be trading for a new home after a while. Do you think breeding a plow horse with a thoroughbred makes that bloodline more or less valuable?

I don't expect everyone to agree on this topic and I'm sure not losing any sleep over it. I'm just looking at facts and extrapolating the potential consequences of Heartland's marketing moves on me. This time, I really am stepping out of this thread - it's getting a bit circular - due in part to guys like me.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

Gotta agree. BTW what's up with the furnace?

Not getting any spark . . .

And no tech help from Suburban, other than all they would tell me is that I need to have a repair tech diagnose the problem as they will only ship the warranty parts to an authorized repair tech.

I've got a couple of mobile repair techs I'm going to talk to tomorrow, although I may not worry about getting it fixed until after we get back from the Vegas Rally.

We have our Colorado HOC Rally in two weeks, and if we need heat I've got a couple of electric heaters in the Prowler to keep us warm through the end of our 2016 camping season (Vegas Rally).

- - - Updated - - -

What if they came out with the Prowler traveler and decided to sell it for $25,000 how would you feel about that your investment being cut in half by a new name cannibalizing what you thought was a steady product line

Prowler already has lower priced models than ours . . .

And anyone who hasn't traded in a two or three year old trailer yet . . .

Boy are you in for a BIG surprise when you see what the trade in value of your trailer will be!

And by the by . . . those who purchased 2016 Ford F350's should feel slighted since Ford just raised the bar with their 2017 models and made your 2016's obsolete!

Just sayin' . . .