Bighorn - Poss water leak - need water tank location 3585RL

marvls

I have some water running out of the bottom of the coach, above the black "cardboard" like material. Based on the amount, I'm thinking of a poss leak from the potable water tank. I know the water is NOT from the grey or black tanks. What is the location of the potable water tank in a 2013 3585 RL. Is everything accessed from the bottom of the coach upwards? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

jimtoo

Re: ATF: Bighorn - Poss water leak - need water tank location 3585RL

Hi marvls,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

If you drop the cover on the off door side in front of the axles a little you could probably see the water tank. Does it leak all the time, only when hooked to park water or ? Could you give a little more info please?

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

mlpeloquin

In my 3010RE it is the first tank, then the gray kitchen, black, the the bathroom gray. So It very well may be the same for you, but call Heartland with your vin number and ask to be sure. They maybe able to give you the approximate location from the front so you don't have to open the coroplast in too many locations to find it. You can clean the coroplast and seal it up with Gorilla tape. Works well. You may want to add a couple of new self tapping screws and fender washer on the ends where you had to cut it open.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

It should be right behind the axles. You should have a blue drain line sticking down back there with a shutoff valve and the air vent line sticking out the side of the frame in that same area.
Have you traveled through any rain recently ?

marvls

After a great deal of exploring, I think I "may" have found the source of the water. I don't believe it is coming from a tank or the pipes. When I removed the black cardboardlike "coroplast" material from the base, I observed that water was resting on it. Water was NOT apparent on the "foil" sheet above the base. So, water had to be entering that base material from the side - not the top. When I hook up to city water in the docking center, sometimes the hose connection loosens and some water sprays from the connecting points of the hose to the bib. Water then drips down thru the drain holes in the box to the frame. Below that box is the main frame structure with a second steel frame rail welded to the mainframe. I observed that water could seep between the pieces of frame. I actually could place a putty knife blade between the two frame pieces.

I then ran a test with water leaking from a hose into the docking center. Sure enough, I observed water running onto the coroplast but NOT the foil sheet. I dried everything. Then I applied a silicone seal all along the "slit" between the frames. I also applied more expanding insulation below the docking center drains. I then waited 24 hours and tested for leaks using the same procedure. I did not observe any water leaking onto the coroplast or the foil sheet. So, I hope I found the problem, but only time will tell. I wonder if anyone else has encountered this problem. Thanks for all the tips provided.

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

If you drop the cover on the off door side in front of the axles a little you could probably see the water tank. Does it leak all the time, only when hooked to park water or ? Could you give a little more info please?

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M[/QUOTE]

Geodude

The fresh tank on a 3585 has its back edge pretty much lined up with the rear tires. Our tank failed and dropped a few inches last year.

This year we experienced the same thing as you. I pulled the chloroplast and found the foil on top was dry. I chalked it up to towing in the rain, and added a couple of drain holes. I'll have to check the docking station to see if I can see what you describe.