Bighorn vs Montana - Worst case scenario

lakeside

We have “just about” decided on purchasing a Bighorn 3650RL fifth wheel. That is until my wife’s brother shows up in our yard with a Montana fifth wheel. My wife took the tour and loved it. Help!!! How can I convince her that a Bighorn is better then a Montana, etc. construction, warranty, suspension, and or personal experience? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Lakeside

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Re: Worst case scenario

Good Luck! I know how it is when the wife makes up her mind about things. Just appeal to her since of reasoning, show her the difference in the warranties, workmanship, etc and if all else fails ask her why she want's to copy her brother. LOL!

Pizzaguy

Talk her out of the Montana! The quality of the Bighorn is soooo much better. You get more for the money on the Bighorn vs. the Montana also. I'm not sure about if keyless entry is available on the Montana or not, but I know the cord reel is not available on them. These are 2 things after having we will not do without again. Our previous fiver was a 2009 Montana,so I am speaking from experience.

A very simple solution! Take her to a dealer who has a used Bighorn and Montana. She will instantly see the difference.

jimtoo

With the Heartland Big Horn you get the support of the Heartland Family, backing of the Heartland Factory and the best forum there is.

Jim M

ON Edit,,,, You also get to attend the best Heartland Rallies and meet the best Heartland Owners and get the best food around. :)

brianharrison

My last SOB was a Montana as well. I echo the comments on the after sales committment by Heartland vs Keystone (Montana).

From my experiences Keystone was not available to me as a end user of the product (Montana). I only had the option to deal with the dealer - which is hit and miss as we know.

Heartland is a consumer driven company; evident by the availabiliy of many departments directly to the consumer, and the customer service # posted directly on this web site. I cannot say the same for Keystone.

Brian

beasleyrl

From my experiences Keystone was not available to me as a end user of the product (Montana). I only had the option to deal with the dealer - which is hit and miss as we know.

Heartland is a consumer driven company; evident by the availabiliy of many departments directly to the consumer, and the customer service # posted directly on this web site. I cannot say the same for Keystone.

Brian
I'll second that! My last 2 rigs were Keystones. I think it is safe to say that everyone will have issues in dealing with an RV. It's not an IF, it is a WHEN. When it happens, you want a company that will stand behind their products. Heartland has done that for me several times including a fairly big issue after the warranty had clearly expired. I will never have another Keystone but when the time comes, Heartland will definitely be on our list! Good luck!

traveler44

Before we bought our Bighorn in 09 we looked at a lot of different brands. The main thing that sold me on the Bighorn was when I searched "trouble with" and insert the model you are thinking about. You will find which company stands behind their product. In 09 Heartland had alot better reputation. Tom M.

Bobby A

I'll second that! My last 2 rigs were Keystones. I think it is safe to say that everyone will have issues in dealing with an RV. It's not an IF, it is a WHEN. When it happens, you want a company that will stand behind their products. Heartland has done that for me several times including a fairly big issue after the warranty had clearly expired. I will never have another Keystone but when the time comes, Heartland will definitely be on our list! Good luck!

I will 3rd that !! and Ditto on the above. Heartland customer service is 2nd to NONE !! They are the best, and the guys at the plant are absolutly AWESOME !!

dieselsweetheart

Rallies!!! Have you been to any??? Where is the friendship/good times/wonderful rallies with the Montana folks???? And have you been to the BIG Heartland rally in Goshen???

(and I echo everyone else's thoughts about the company taking care of its' customers! I won't buy another product..)

caissiel

Look what the BH rides on and compare with the Montana, I can bet the montana rides on 6K axles compared to the BH with 7K axles, and that's just a start. I have not seen any comparable units to ours with 7K axles other then the Heartland products.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired

Some folks just will not let themselves be confused by the facts. If you can't convince her with this list of comments... she aint gonna be convinced. GOOD LUCK!!!!

mmomega

AnyTimer

Oh I hope it's not the Montana with the living room in the front, lol. At the RV Show we went to my wife was dead set on that Montana, because it was the first RVs we came to so she was already making her mind up.
We finally made it around to the Heartlands and when I started pointing out how much better the Heartlands looked overall (build quality) she started coming around. Then we saw the Key Largo and I had to put my foot down lol.
Even when we went back to the Montana for "one more look" there was a saleslady trying to work my wife over and a salesman came up to me and asked what was stopping me from getting the Montana and I said well I'm looking at a Heartland Landmark and he didn't really say anything else. Which to me said plenty.

I'm not knocking their brand but it just did not appeal to me once I gave it a good look-over inside out.

My wife now completely agrees that the Heartland was a much better choice and I didn't have to say a word. It just took one camping trip :)

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders

Oh I hope it's not the Montana with the living room in the front, lol. At the RV Show we went to my wife was dead set on that Montana, because it was the first RVs we came to so she was already making her mind up.
We finally made it around to the Heartlands and when I started pointing out how much better the Heartlands looked overall (build quality) she started coming around. Then we saw the Key Largo and I had to put my foot down lol.
Even when we went back to the Montana for "one more look" there was a saleslady trying to work my wife over and a salesman came up to me and asked what was stopping me from getting the Montana and I said well I'm looking at a Heartland Landmark and he didn't really say anything else. Which to me said plenty.

I'm not knocking their brand but it just did not appeal to me once I gave it a good look-over inside out.

My wife now completely agrees that the Heartland was a much better choice and I didn't have to say a word. It just took one camping trip :)

For what it's worth, I had the same issue the RV show in Tulsa when we bought the Sundance back in March. We looked at S.O.B. that had the living room in the front of the 5er. I think it was a Montana. We told the sales guy that had the heartland that we were between the two. The guy told me, now this is a salesman talking, that there were problems with the overhead living rooms with stress cracks. I asked the S.O.B. saleswoman and she said that she wasn't qualified to answer that and that I would have to talk to someone else. We went with the Sundance and have had no regrets.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

In a slightly different vein, I've got a young FF that's become enamored with buying a 1999 Wildcat he's been looking at for $18K. He's come to me for advice (and to haul it to his family's property next spring, if he buys it). I told him I'd look at it with him, before he pulls the trigger, but after looking online, I think the asking price is way high (FSBO). Gotta work on the kid, maybe nudge him towards a new or newer NorthTrail, or something similar, for not too much more $$.

Update: it's a 2005 or 2006, not 1999. And it has the rear bunk arrangement, according to the kid. I'm going to drag him to the Marvac show in October.

Last edited:

ssjt2000

Get the differences from your dealer...this may be off a little because the new models are out...but Bighorn has 5" LAMINATED roof, 3" LAMINATED floor, 7000 lb axels, 12 in frame vs 10", Hydraulic landing gear, upgraded mattress, hidden hinges, porcelin sink in bathroom, one piece fiberglass shower, SHOCKS ! Montana deleted these a few years ago...you need shocks!...larger bed slide, G rated tires, better roof trusses, step light, higher r factors , larger tanks, convertor, turning radius....kindof a no brainer.

mikeandconnie

I tried to move my neighbor's 2011 Montana with my 2011 Chevy 3500. I could not do it because it was too low in the froint and my bed would hit... I don't know which model or why it was so low, it was brand new.... Also it took forever to raise it up... Takes me 3 seconds with my rig.

aatauses

Several of our friends have a Montana. Their customer support is non existant compared to HL. The one area that I enjoy from HL is that when something does need a repair they are there on the phone with YOU to walk YOU through what should be done. If it is something a dealer should do HL will continue to tell YOU what the dealer should be doing---also if it is something that needs parts and you can repair yourself, HL will sent parts directly to YOU, something that Montana will not do, they leave you to the mercy of a dealer.
Go with the HL product.
al

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader

From another perspective, I work at an independent service facility. No affiliation with any brand. I have first hand knowledge of how the different companies handle warranty work. Heartland warranty processes are very simple. Document the issue, get a recommended solution, approve the repair, they send the parts, we fix the unit, and everyone walks away happy. And no, it should NOT take months to have your rig repaired. Not so much with a couple other brands.

Thor motorized division has a one year bumper to bumper warranty. It covers everything except all the appliances, the leveling system, and numerous other items. For those you have to deal with the manufacturer directly. Most independents won't do it because of the massive amount of paperwork involved and having to cover the parts cost up front and wait for payment. The guys next door are Montana dealers. Most of the time they schedule repairs 3 or 4 months out. We do probably more than half of the accessory add-on and repair work on the new rigs because their service is lousy and their people are rude. There is no standard a dealer and their service dept. must be held to, so if you buy a Montana, make sure your dealer is a good one.

I have dealt with Heartland both as a consumer and as a service company. I will buy another Heartland if I ever find another model I love more than my BH 3370.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1

The bighorn is the best rv brand on the market at the current time, gives you more bang for the buck than any other brand.