Bighorn vs Montana - Worst case scenario

hcriddle

Re: Worst case scenario

When we first started looking we were sure we wanted a Montana that we had looked at. We drove down the street to the next dealer and walked into the Heartland and immediately knew that this was a better quality fifth wheel. It took more than a year of looking and researching and after all that we were absolutely sold on the Big Horn. Like many others here I would not buy any other brand. Heartlands customer service and owners group would be too hard to give up!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

We looked at Montana's...then found Bighorn's. You cannot compare the two. If it is the the front LR...they are VERY pin heavy. The had discontinued them for awhile because of frame and walls cracking. The factory and owners forum support is bar none the best in the industry. We have had our Horn for 4 years now and will buy another one. Best pulling 5er we have ever had. Noticed lately that Montana is copying HL's floor plans. Spend more time in each one without a salesman and compare fit and finish and the difference in what is standard equipment and options between the two. HL is the best bang for the buck.

Dale

Just have her look at the Plumbing and Wiring. I have had a few minor problems with the Cabinet latches, But Wichita RV (the dealer I bought from) has bent over backwards to make sure everything is perfect.

My first RV was a Keystone Raptor, Talk about HEADACHES nothing but wiring and electrical problems.

Last edited:

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1

[h=2]Worst case scenario is you could buy a MONTANA. END OF DISCUSSION![/h]WE HAVE FRIENDS WHO HAVE A MONTANA. WHEN THEY WALKED IN OURS, SHE SAID, I WANT ONE LIKE THIS. IT IS SO MUCH BETTER.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

OBTW, saw a new 2012 High $$$ Montana. Doesn't even come with a step light. The guy had the move the pinbox down. Would not clear the bed of his new GMC. HUH??

olcoon

We've had our Elk Ridge a year last April. During that time, we had some issues with it. Nothing major, but they were getting to be a PITA, at the least. Our dealer & Heartland took care of all of them. The most major issue was that when pulling in the slide it would get to a certain point & slow down, you could hear the motor slow down, then all of a sudden it would jump up, and finish coming in. I brought this to the attention of the dealer, and they said "according to Heartland this is normal". I thought this was BS, so I took a video of it & posted it in the ATF section of the forum. This was around 10-11:00 pm. By 10:00 the next day Brian the brand mgr (now GM) had answered my post & said this isn't normal. What blew me away is that around 1:00 that same day I got a call from the factory, again saying this isn't normal. How many companys, no matter what the product will do this? This summer we work camped living in the 5er 24/7 for about 4 months, and we haven't had any problems. No matter what you buy new there are going to be issues, but Heartland (at least from what I've personnaly seen) stands behind their product. Also, I'll second the comments about the forum & the rallys. We went to the Goshen rally, and are planning on going to the 2012 rally, mainly because of Heartland, and the people we met at the rally.