Bighorn - waste valves

OldTanker

Being that I am looking at replacing my main grey tank valve for the second time in as many years and now the main black tank valve, I am wondering if there is an electric waste valve that will fit the Big Horn. According to my dealer the factory installed a somewhat proprietary ball type valve in place of the old standard blade valve. This replacement every year is getting old fast. I no longer have any confidence in the style or capability of the cable operated valves that are currently installed in my rig. I would rather replace with electrically operated valves in place of the cable valves and forgo annual valve replacement

I've been full timing for more than 11 years now and am pretty familiar with how to properly flush and drain the waste tanks. I have never had this kind of problem in the past with having owned 3 different brands of RV's before the Heartland.

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

Re: ATF: Bighorn - waste valves

According to my dealer the factory installed a somewhat proprietary ball type valve in place of the old standard blade valve.

First time I've heard of Heartland using a proprietary ball type valve. What year/model trailer do you have? Is your dealer doing these valve replacements? Are you sure they know what they're doing?

What is the failure symptom you're repeatedly experiencing?

wdk450

Why not just say "the heck with the 3 tank valves", let them work or not work as they want to, and install a final external manual valve on the sewage outlet fitting?external sewer valve.jpg

OldTanker

Why not just say "the heck with the 3 tank valves", let them work or not work as they want to, and install a final external manual valve on the sewage outlet fitting?View attachment 41891

I have been using one of those last ditch valves. The reason I want the proper equipment functioning is because I dislike having to go through the dump procedure every two or three days because the main grey tank fills up from showers and laundry. You may like doing that but I prefer dumping the black tank once a week. Allowing the black tank to bleed off the liquid and then stand for days would end up requiring the tank itself be replaced in fairly short order.

- - - Updated - - -

First time I've heard of Heartland using a proprietary ball type valve. What year/model trailer do you have? Is your dealer doing these valve replacements? Are you sure they know what they're doing?

What is the failure symptom you're repeatedly experiencing?

I have a 2014 BH 3875FB the dealer is the Tucson La Mesa dealer. As to the service supervisors knowledge, all I can say is that Heartland has certified them to service as well as sell the brand. Shop rules do not allow me to also supervise them. The supervisor is the one who said that Heartland uses a ball type valve, similar to the one in the toilet on the tank vs the standard blade style. At least that was what he said when he told me that they had to order the replacement because they didn't have any in stock, which also required a return trip for the finish of the job.

I would not be overly surprised that La Mesa is less than the brightest bulb in the box, however I am somewhat limited as they have the entire SW part of the US locked up with Heartland. There is a local Camping World service center but because of La Mesa's agreement with Heartland they are not authorized dealers in multiple states in the SW. Up until last January I was stuck dealing with La Mesa for warranty work.

danemayer

There is a local Camping World service center but because of La Mesa's agreement with Heartland they are not authorized dealers in multiple states in the SW. Up until last January I was stuck dealing with La Mesa for warranty work.
If you get advance approval from Heartland, you can get warranty service at dealers not authorized to sell Heartland products. Heartland often authorizes independent repair shops as well.

Of course if it's not the dealer you bought from, they may or may not be interested in your service business. But it might be worth a call.

When a service person starts making up reasons why something doesn't work right, or why they don't have the parts on hand, you might have reason to think they don't know what's wrong or how to actually do a lasting fix.

There have been several threads here about using a silicon spray lube on the gate valve plungers to help them move smoothly. Also, sometimes people think that tightening the nuts on the gate valves will help stop leaks when it actually creates a bind that keeps the blade from sliding fully into place. At least one other owner has shortened and re-routed the pull cables to get a smoother operation. Depending on what failure symptom you're experiencing, you may want to think about some of these approaches.

There have also been some threads about electrically operated valves. Based on what I've seen here, the few who have tried them have not all been satisfied with their reliability.

jimtoo

Find an independent RV repair service. There a lot of them out there that will work with Heartland doing warranty repairs. You might just call Heartland Customer Service, 574-262-8030 or 877-262-8032, and ask if they have on record an independent repair person near you that does warranty work for them.

Jim M

OldTanker

Warranty period is over now. Just have to find someplace that can do major work however. New issue I just found this morning.

wdk450

Warranty period is over now. Just have to find someplace that can do major work however. New issue I just found this morning.

Sorry you have a major item now. I have been through that last year with the frame I-Beams twisting. Here is a link to the Airzona listings sorted by city on RVServiceReviews.com:
http://rvservicereviews.com/StateLi...D=&ZipCode=&Miles=&SearchState=&KeywordState=

On Edit: BTW, I never experienced the black tank backing up through the grey tanks into the trailer, and if the other 2 valves are closed and working properly, I can't see how that would happen. I think I had a pretty small leak at the black tank valve, and all I ever saw was the common drain pipe full of sewage. My black tank valve has now "fixed itself"; the handle feels like it is working properly, the valve makes a complete stoppage seal when tested while dumping, and there is no more accumulated sewage in the common discharge pipe. I have decided to leave the external valve on just in case the problem arises again.

Last edited:

hoefler

Barker makes an electric actuator that attaches to the valve. Get a seal kit for the valve, some silicone grease, and install your self. I did both of my grey valves in a afternoon. The valve isn't the problem, it is the cable. It won't let you push the valve fully closed. The Barker units were $30 more than buying the replacement cables.

aatauses

You have probably already did this for regular maintenance, but if by chance you did not. Each valve has a small "piston type" right near the valve (you need to drop the belly to see it). I usually put a few drops of silicone on this when I'm under there.
al
currently in AZ

JanAndBill

Being that I am looking at replacing my main grey tank valve for the second time in as many years and now the main black tank valve, I am wondering if there is an electric waste valve that will fit the Big Horn. According to my dealer the factory installed a somewhat proprietary ball type valve in place of the old standard blade valve. This replacement every year is getting old fast. I no longer have any confidence in the style or capability of the cable operated valves that are currently installed in my rig. I would rather replace with electrically operated valves in place of the cable valves and forgo annual valve replacement

I've been full timing for more than 11 years now and am pretty familiar with how to properly flush and drain the waste tanks. I have never had this kind of problem in the past with having owned 3 different brands of RV's before the Heartland.

I also planned to pull the cable valves and install the electrically operated ones until I read their service manual which stated that they required annual service to keep them operating. After I read their service procedure and the service procedure for the valterra cable valve I came up with a way to make the cable valves operate properly. Go to the tools tab >HUG >Plumbing >tanks, there's a pdf instruction sheet on it.