Bighorn - Water Leak

rodneyl

Model 3875 with bath and a half...when we flush the black water tank in the full bath room fresh water leaks in the cargo area we believe it is from where it enters the black water tank. How do we get at this area?

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

Re: ATF: Bighorn - Water Leak

Hi rodneyl,

If the water is not smelly, it may be fresh water leaking from the fitting where water enters the base of the toilet. If you put some tissue paper around the fitting and PEX going to the fitting, you should be able to tell if that's the source. The screw on fitting should be finger tight.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

One point about the black tank flush. Never use high water pressure to do it. Only flush with a pressure regulator in line. Don't ask how I know.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
ATF: Bighorn - Water Leak

A better bet is that worthless anti-siphon valve they stick in the black tank flush line. It's a well documented PoS piece of plastic that dumps water all over the area behind the basement walls when it fails, sometimes on top of electrical devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SNOKING

A better bet is that worthless anti-siphon valve they stick in the black tank flush line. It's a well documented PoS piece of plastic that dumps water all over the area behind the basement walls when it fails, sometimes on top of electrical devices.

What he said^^^^! Mine is AWOL. Chris

SNOKING

So, how do you remedy the situation with the valve?
Declare is MIA and install a manual valve or check valve at the flush input. Mine is/was up behind the shower valve in the wall. It is still there, water just not flow through it anymore. Chris

danemayer

The anti siphon valve would not be your problem unless the leak was happening while flushing the black tank with a hose attached.

Rereading your original post it seems like that may be what you're saying.

If there's a round access port in the shower, the anti siphon valve is behind it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

JohnDar

It might be behind that access port, or it might not. Mine was not. In retrospect, that was a good thing for when it failed, it would have destroyed the furnace and probably part of a lower kitchen cabinet before being noticed.

danemayer

Here's a view of the anti-siphon valve from the back side of the shower in a 2017 Bighorn.

Attachments

• BH Black Tank Flush Anti Siphon Annotated.jpg
    BH Black Tank Flush Anti Siphon Annotated.jpg
    428.2 KB · Views: 88

JohnDar

The rectangular top was missing from mine when I pulled it out of the wall...behind the toilet.

wdk450

The rectangular top was missing from mine when I pulled it out of the wall...behind the toilet.

I replaced my plastic antisiphon valve with a Sharkbite brand brass check valve for 1/2 inch PEX tubing available at Home Depot. These are readily available and easy to put on with no special tools.

Check out all these threads on the subject from a forum search on the term "B&B Molders" (the manufacturer of the black tank flush system). You will get an idea of how often this disaster happens: https://heartlandowners.org/search.php?searchid=5651533

billyjoeraybob

South Carolina Chapter Leaders-Retired

I vote for this also. That valve leaked on our LM first time we used the black tank flush. No access panel. Eliminated it with a sharkbite check valve. Problem solved

Gary521

My flush system never worked. I too bypassed the anti-siphon and installed a check valve at the water inlet. I did this on my prior Bighorn too.

JohnDar

I replaced my plastic antisiphon valve with a Sharkbite brand brass check valve for 1/2 inch PEX tubing available at Home Depot. These are readily available and easy to put on with no special tools.

Check out all these threads on the subject from a forum search on the term "B&B Molders" (the manufacturer of the black tank flush system). You will get an idea of how often this disaster happens: https://heartlandowners.org/search.php?searchid=5651533

I also installed a Sharkbite inline check valve, elevated above the black tank. The inlet in the UDC is also a brass check valve inlet. I replaced the OEM B&B inlet after it broke a few years ago with a city water inlet.