Bike hitch - 1-1/4" factory installed receiver

MTPockets

We ordered the 1 1/4" hitch reciver on our Big Horn and have towed so far from Florida to Texas to Indiana and now in North Carolina. We have two bikes on a very sturdy, $275 bike rack. From the beginning, I noticed that the factory receiver was a bit flimsey, as it would bounce up and down all along the tubes mounted to the Big Horn frame with a slight push of the hand with the bikes on the rack.. The bike rack frame was stiff, but the entire factory receiver would flex causing the bounce. I could only imagine the bouce when we crossed some railroad tracks or those dips in the highway and certain bumpy roads.

Today, we stopped for lunch and I do my walk around and find the bikes nearly on the ground. I had to take the wheels off the bikes and put them in my truck bed. I'm glad I always used some hefty straps to secure them to each other and the bike rack. My bike rack has a vertical support that keeps the bikes upright. That vertical support was gone and I could see where it broke, near the bottom where it attached to the bike rack frame. All that flexing finally caused it to break, like bending a paper clip back and forth until it gives way.

My plan was to re-inforce the factory hitch when we got to Florida so I would not have this problem, but the flexing was just too much...... If you have this receiver, I can only suggest to you to watch your rack so you don't have the same issue.

danemayer

Let me see if I'm following you: the receiver itself (not the part that slides into it) flexes up and down easily? And because of that motion, the vertical arm of your bike rack broke?

I have the 1 1/4" receiver and the parts that mount to the frame brackets don't move at all. The part that the bike rack bolts to, that slides into the receiver, wiggles quite a bit where it slides into the receiver.

I'm having trouble imagining mine flexing the way you've described. Have you looked to see if your receiver has a broken weld or loose mounting bolts?

MTPockets

Let me see if I'm following you: the receiver itself (not the part that slides into it) flexes up and down easily? And because of that motion, the vertical arm of your bike rack broke?

I have the 1 1/4" receiver and the parts that mount to the frame brackets don't move at all. The part that the bike rack bolts to, that slides into the receiver, wiggles quite a bit where it slides into the receiver.

I'm having trouble imagining mine flexing the way you've described. Have you looked to see if your receiver has a broken weld or loose mounting bolts?

Yes, the receiver flexes... It looks like all is secure to the frame, but the square tubular steel that is the receiver, is about 7 ft. long - from left side frame to right side frame, with the receiver in the center. That tube flexes - or twists, so that the square 1 1/4" receiver in the middle actually will move up and down (twisting motion) when you apply a small lifting pressure on one of the bikes. Imagine going over a bump - the bikes will move and the whole receiver frame will flex.

Can this site handle a video? ...... I can shoot it and try to put it here so you can see what I see.

MTPockets

This is the link to a short video clearly showing the flexing. Since the vertical tube that broke away is gone, the bikes are not on the rack, but this flexing I believe is too much for sustained travel... This receiver should be rigid to reduce the bouce and subsequent damage. If you havn't had a problem, you may... For me, I will re-inforce or replace for a more rigid mount.

donr827

MTPOCKETS, thank you for the video. I have the same trailer and the same receiver. Will check it out before we leave on our trip.
Don

Westwind

If you search the forum you will find someone who fabricated his own and it looks like a solid hitch.