Bike Rack Hitch

Squatty

When I ordered my new Landmark Mesa, I was not sure I could back it up my sloping driveway without dragging the hitch, so I did not order one. Bad idea! Now I know I can get up the drive with one, but am unsure about where to get one. Has anybody purchased a hitch with a 2" receiver to install on their unit. Mine has flanges on either side on the rear of the frame to secure one. Does HL sell these to match (measurement wise) the Lippert frame they use, or are the measurements pretty much universal? Where else can I get one? I plan on putting a 2-bike rack on it, so not much weight. Any help would be appreciated.

danemayer

Hi Squatty,

The receiver hitch that's designed by Lippert to bolt to those brackets that are welded to your frame is a 1-1/4" that is suitable for a rack that holds 2 bikes. You might want to get a 3 bike rack however because the innermost position could be too close to the rear cap and the handlebars may contact the cap.

Heartland sells the receiver hitch, as does Lippert. The one from Lippert may actually cost a bit more because it comes with the brackets that you don't need. Club membership gets you an additional discount when ordering from Heartland.

Mine works fine, but a few people have posted about excessive flex on theirs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
@Dan... My build sheet shows the "accesory" receiver as 1 1/2". Is this different from a bike hitch? I already have a 2 bike rack that fits into a 2" receiver and was planning on buying a reducer 2" to 1 1/2" that slides in and pins (also will get the bikes another 4" away from back of unit) to allow me to use my current rack. Am I on track here or am I missing something?
Thanks

danemayer

@Dan... My build sheet shows the "accesory" receiver as 1 1/2". Is this different from a bike hitch? I already have a 2 bike rack that fits into a 2" receiver and was planning on buying a reducer 2" to 1 1/2" that slides in and pins (also will get the bikes another 4" away from back of unit) to allow me to use my current rack. Am I on track here or am I missing something?
Thanks
The part that bolts onto the frame brackets is the receiver which has a 1-1/2" opening. The bike rack slides into that. I think your plan for a reducer should work. When I put my 1 1/4" bike rack on the truck, I use the reverse - reducers to get from the larger truck receiver down to the bike rack size.

The only thing I'd mention is that the parts fit loosely to begin with. The more parts, the more slop you'll probably have. I use a bungee cord to load the bike rack toward the ladder and take up some of the slop on mine.

Squatty

Called Heartland and they have the receiver for $102.00 w/ a discount for Owner's Club Members. Gettin ready to order! Thanks for the help.

4ever

Please keep in mind if the receiver hitch is not installed by Lippert your warranty on the frame is void. I have been told this by both my dealer and by Lippert. Lippert will install for about $100.00. I know you can install yourself however, not sure it is worth voiding the warranty on the frame. Just something to think about.

Squatty

I think that only applies when you must weld anything to the frame. This hitch bolts to the brackets that are already attached to the frame. Should be no problem there.

danemayer

I think that only applies when you must weld anything to the frame. This hitch bolts to the brackets that are already attached to the frame. Should be no problem there.
When I ordered my receiver hitch, Heartland was out of stock so I got it from Lippert. Now the frame is made by Lippert. And the brackets are welded on by Lippert. The receiver hitch is designed and made by Lippert. When I ordered the hitch, they made a point of saying that installing it would void the frame warranty. I pointed out the the brackets were already there from the factory and I would just be attaching it with bolts. They repeated their warning. I asked why and they said that they void the warranty because they have no way of knowing what I will hook up to the receiver. I could do something stupid and damage the frame. I asked if there would be frame damage from a bicycle rack carrying 2 bikes and they agreed that would not be a problem. But they repeated that since they have no way of knowing what I might do, they would still void the warranty.

So my conclusion is that Lippert is pretty squirrelly. But since it's only a 1 year warranty, and I was already there, I didn't worry about it.

I don't know how Lippert would square this with the receivers they sell to Heartland for installation as a factory option. I don't think Heartland installing the hitch voids the frame warranty.

Cyberdave

Please keep in mind if the receiver hitch is not installed by Lippert your warranty on the frame is void. I have been told this by both my dealer and by Lippert. Lippert will install for about $100.00. I know you can install yourself however, not sure it is worth voiding the warranty on the frame. Just something to think about.

Sorry, but that is not correct. Magnuson Moss act prevents a manufacturer from voiding a warranty unless they can prove what broke was caused by the part you installed or by say the hole you drilled caused a crack. Visit SEMA For a more detailed explanation.

http://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2011/01/ftc-validates-right-to-install-aftermarket-parts

Manufacturers like HD have used scare tactics for years .... Gotta use this made by V&H "Screamin' Eagle" exhaust or we'll void the warranty... All aftermarket parts must be installed by dealer.. Many of you might not even be aware of the act and why it was written in the first place. The car manufacturers used to force owners to buy products branded by them or void their warranties. You could only use Sylvania tubes in your Sylvania TV, etc. I was in the aftermarket M/C parts business for years and I lost count of the $$$ we spent on lawyers assisting our customers against HD dealers trying to void warranty for using our parts.

Squatty

Cyberdave - thanks for the info on the Magnuson Act. I was aware of it but forgot about it until you reminded me. Great info to know for future reference.

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Cyberdave,

GREAT LINK!! Thanks! It provides some peace of mind......I might just go ahead and get my bike hitch welded onto my 2014 BC!!!

I had a local welder install on my 2011, here is the thread for anyone interested in doing their own Bike Rack:

Bike Rack

Lance

Squatty

Hey Lance, The drawing of the hitch with the 1 1/4" receiver that I received from HL for my Landmark indicates it also bolts onto BH & BC. You may want to check with Heartland Parts and see if it would fit. That way maybe no welding.

lduguay

Hey John,

I might check out the HL hitch, I'm just not sold on the small receiver....we have a Yakima 4 bike rack and the smaller "sleeve" concerns me. I read somewhere that adding the extension for the 2", you weaken the support or lessen the bike rack load capacity:confused::confused: I am willing to be "educated" by one of the forum "engineers"!!“.

Lance

Cyberdave

Lance, I used a Curt universal hitch kit. I plan on getting a single wheel trailer so I wanted the capacity. I did have to modify the mount brackets so I could use the welded on mounts. It was a good project and the results are excellent.

http://www.curtmfg.com/part/13701

Cyberdave

When I ordered my receiver hitch, Heartland was out of stock so I got it from Lippert. Now the frame is made by Lippert. And the brackets are welded on by Lippert. The receiver hitch is designed and made by Lippert. When I ordered the hitch, they made a point of saying that installing it would void the frame warranty. I pointed out the the brackets were already there from the factory and I would just be attaching it with bolts. They repeated their warning. I asked why and they said that they void the warranty because they have no way of knowing what I will hook up to the receiver. I could do something stupid and damage the frame. I asked if there would be frame damage from a bicycle rack carrying 2 bikes and they agreed that would not be a problem. But they repeated that since they have no way of knowing what I might do, they would still void the warranty.

So my conclusion is that Lippert is pretty squirrelly. But since it's only a 1 year warranty, and I was already there, I didn't worry about it.

I don't know how Lippert would square this with the receivers they sell to Heartland for installation as a factory option. I don't think Heartland installing the hitch voids the frame warranty.

Okay, so if I get this right, if Lippert installs the hitch you're covered if you do something stupid but, if you installed it yourself you're SOL?

Makes perfect sense...:confused:

lduguay

Lance, I used a Curt universal hitch kit. I plan on getting a single wheel trailer so I wanted the capacity. I did have to modify the mount brackets so I could use the welded on mounts. It was a good project and the results are excellent.

http://www.curtmfg.com/part/13701

Hey CyberDave,

Looks like a good option, do you have pics of your install you can post? Did you weld or have to drill? Looks like these are available for just over $200 online.

My previous bike rack was "custom" build by a local welder that builds utility trailers....for $300 (labor & materials)

Thanks

Lance

Cyberdave

Actually, I modified the included brackets and bolted it one. I flipped the brackets over so the lip was down and after drilling, had the excess cut off in a arc to make a skid plate to protect the bottom of the rig

I'll get some shots tomorrow if possible

Cyberdave

100_2362.JPG100_2363.jpg100_2364.JPG100_2365.JPG

Here are some images of the hitch install. Notice how the brackets are heavily modified to fit using the welded mounts. The entire dog leg portion was cut off in an arc to add some protection. That was done free hand by a welder In Livingston by the way. We did it all with some vise locks, drill and wrenches I had on hand.