Bio Diesel?

conveyman

I have heard that the bio diesel is not good for older trucks. That is due to the lubritistie of the fuel. If you add a quart of cheap non-detergent oil to your fuel when filling up with fuel you are ok. That puts the lube back into the fuel. I had a 2001 dodge and had no problems. Also this new ultra-low sulfur fuel is the same way with the older trucks.

jpjulian

We have an '08 Ford SD 6.4 diesel. In our area as well as most of our travels, the percentage of biodiesel isn't known. The pumps here state the bio content varies from 5-20%. Since we have no way to know what the bio content is, what is a poor boy to do? If it says ULSD on the pump we fuel. If it say LSD we look elsewhere. Still haven't changed the factory fuel filters at 25,200 miles on the odometer. The dealer quoted $395 and I passed. B_____d to the sercice mangager and he said I was misquoted. Parts run ~$72.00 and one hour labor booked. Fuel filters every other oil change seems a bit excessive, cost wise. Engine still runs fine but mileage sucks.

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
I work in the oil industry and here is what I remember hearing - You don't have to have anything done, however, some people say it causes some engine problems. I know both the Canadian and US governments are forcing Bio fuels on us in the near future, so if you trust them, then it's probably OK. having said that, it has a fairly high freezing point, so try to stay away from it in the winter.

I have done quite a bit of research due to considering making it for myself. The above is a true statement but in moderate climes there is no issue. Check with your dealer first as I have heard from some older models owners exceptions. I know my 08 Chevy is good to go.

Tom of Ypsi

jpjulian,

Changing out the fuel fillters will help a little with your milage. Do not go too long not changing other wise you may find yourself sitting on the side of the road. On our last truck we had around 10-12K on the filters but must have picked up some dirty fuel somewhere in Tx resulting in no power. It was no fun going thru the desert area of west Tx at 25 mph hoping to make it to a city/town. Ever hear of Ozona, Tx, me neither?

jpjulian

Been to many lovely areas of Texas but Ozona ain't one of them. I am due for an oil change now and plan to change the fuel filters then. Just can't find the time to get it done. Been babysitting my wife the last two weeks after she had some surgery. Can't get her to sit and stay sitting or off the stairs, if y'all know what I mean. Maybe in the next day or two. My luck, I'd go into limp mode on the south side of Chicago or some other such wonderful location......

Joe

jpjulian

Got the oil change and fuel filters changed Wednesday afternoon. $306.08. Ouch. Was quoted $72 and change a couple months back for the fuel filters. Up to $83 now. Then there was the $118 per hour labor charge.... Momma not happy with the expense........

Joe

jnbhobe

Looks like its time to learn to do it your self. Can't be more than $75-80 in parts and oil. And an hour of your time. JON :eek: :eek: :eek:

ct0218

Been doing my own with Amsoil for 35 years. So many places use the wrong weight oil, too much/too little oil, cheap oil and filters, etc., so I do my own. Not hard at all, plus it gives you a chance to observe any fluid leaks or other problems.

babycampers

Actually, the corn in your cereal, torillas, chips, etc. IS the same corn as the ethanol-used corn. The whole kernel corn we eat on the cob/frozen is totally different variety. To be honest, there is NO real nutritional value in corn period - so we're not really being deprived if it all goes to fuel. It isn't meant for livestock/pet food either, it just fills their bellies and fattens them up like it does us!!!!

RollingHome

Actually, after the corn mash is made into alcohol, it can be dried and fed to the livestock so no animal is "left behind" or deprived of filler stock. The whole story that is heard in the press is really bovine fecal matter, also referred to as BS...

Delaine and Lindy

I used Bio-Diesel in all my Duramax Diesel never ever and issue. I also don't use any additive, never found it needed. I also use on this trip to Cody Wyoming Bio-Diesel in my Mercedes Diesel in the Freightliner. I always carry extra fuel filters and the Mercesde requires two filters, and the cost is under $50.00 and the cabin filter also. I replace all the filters and the Oil (7 gals) wo oil filters and get it done in my home town. Cost for everything is $286.00 from Freightliner, I can and have changed it before but the hassle of getting rid of the old filters and oil just isn't worth my time. GBY...

RollingHome

Delaine, I've been told not to use biodiesel in my LMM NBS GM 3500HD. What is your opinion of this ? There is a local station that sells Biodiesel at the same price as "Low Sulfer" diesel. I was told the same thing for my Kubota tractors. I don't do it because these guys have put the fear of "non warranty" in me. I'm ignorant and don't know. What is your opinion ? Not saying I will listen to you, just wondering. Actually, I like the thought or idea of biodiesel. Thanks. Tom

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Tom, 2 years ago on a trip to ND I used the B5 the whole time we were there. That was our 05 D/A. Ran great...smoother and better fuel mileage.

Last edited:

RollingHome

Thanks Bob, I just may try bio just to see what happens in my LMM engine... Am I stupid or what ? I just gotta be a chance taker ... Thanks