Killem diesel biocide

BusManRG

Drove up to Chico, CA today and had our new, larger fuel tank installed at Transfer Flow. Looking through the material that they sent home with us, they are strongly suggesting that Killem Biocide or any quality biocede be added to each tank at fill up. We’re not familiar with biocides and have not ever really heard anyone else discuss them. We do know that some of these bio diesel’s can cause engine issues but the information sheet did not specify only when using bio diesel. They are recommending using this biocide at all times. So my question is who is using additives in their diesel? And do you think it’s necessary?

Sandy

NYSUPstater

Previous 2 trucks, I had 50 Gallon Transfer Flows mid ship replacements tanks. Never used/bought (without my knowledge anyways), Bio-diesel. Additive wise in fuel tank, I 1st used Howes diesel treat anti-gel during the winter, then switched to Hot Shot Secret anti-gel and still use the latter during the winter. On last truck ('15 F350), I used Hot Shot Secret (HSS), Diesel Extreme 2x/year and their Every Day Diesel additive at every fill up. Now have a '17 F350 and it's too new to use the Diesel Extreme, I do though use Every Day Diesel. All this being said, I've never added anything that T-flow said to use that OP is saying and never had any issues w/ anything in the tank. If you do NOT add fuel often or a lot, then you might run into problems. But IMO, as long as your "turning over" the fuel in the tank 2-4 times a month (read fill up), then your good to go w/o any "algicide killer".

For info on the HSS products, go to: www.hotshotsecret.com to learn more.

BusManRG

Never used/bought (without my knowledge anyways)...
For info on the HSS products, go to: www.hotshotsecret.com to learn more.

Thank you for the info! Interesting that you mentioned using bio-diesel without your knowledge. While I was at Transfer Flow the gentleman in the waiting room said he had never used bio diesel, but he assumed that all bio diesel tanks had a yellow handle. I know for a fact that’s not true because most Flying J’s use bio diesel and they have pretty green handles on all of their tanks. They are upfront about using biodiesel however. Ran into an instance with a friend whose company purchases diesel in bulk. They started having issues some of their engine/fuel systems and found out they have been receiving bio diesel without their knowledge. So you are correct to assume you may be getting biodiesel occasionally without being aware!

Sandy

ksucats

Bio-diesel is being added at a lot of stations - normally 5 percent (B-05) - and it is not necessarily advertised at the pump. Seems Flying-J / Pilot are all mixed diesel these days.

The reason for the biocide is that little nasties will grow where there is water in the tank and in that little thin zone between the water (at the bottom of the tank) and the diesel on top, they flourish. I don't have an aux tank but looking at some in local 'truck accessory' stores, it looks like it would be improbable that you'd completely empty the aux tank - hence the possibility exists that some water could be at the bottom. I'm a believer in additives for the additional C ratings and anti-gel, so I'm of the mind that using a biocide would be appropriate as well.

That said, and as mentioned above, none of this may be necessary if you use your truck regularly and get your fuel at stations that turn over diesel quickly.

NYSUPstater

Thank you for the info! Interesting that you mentioned using bio-diesel without your knowledge. While I was at Transfer Flow the gentleman in the waiting room said he had never used bio diesel, but he assumed that all bio diesel tanks had a yellow handle. I know for a fact that’s not true because most Flying J’s use bio diesel and they have pretty green handles on all of their tanks. They are upfront about using biodiesel however. Ran into an instance with a friend whose company purchases diesel in bulk. They started having issues some of their engine/fuel systems and found out they have been receiving bio diesel without their knowledge. So you are correct to assume you may be getting biodiesel occasionally without being aware!

Sandy

I cannot speak on colors of handles at the "J", as I now pretty much get fuel in the truck lanes used by semis instead of the RV lanes out front. Don't quote me on this, but while the colors of handles for diesel should be different than those for gas, I think the stations have to post if Bio- diesel is being dispensed.

travlingman

Biodiesel pumps have to have a sticker saying what percentage if 6% or over. This is required by law. If 5% or under, no sticker required. https://www.natso.com/blog/truckstop-biodiesel-pump-labeling-requirements-unraveled-

You will be lucky not to find any diesel pump that doesn't have biodiesel. Most stations carry diesel with 5% but not noted.

As far as additives, you need to be very careful with the CP4 pump in the Ford diesel. You need to check the additive to make sure it seperates water and not emusifies which will cause water to get in your fuel system. You also need to make sure it doesn't have alcohol in it as that will damage the pump.

With your auxillary tank I would consider adding a aftermarket fuel filter system. Unless you are turning your fuel over alot you run the risk of condensation and water in you system, also algea.

BusManRG

Biodiesel pumps have to have a sticker saying what percentage if 6% or over. This is required by law. If 5% or under, no sticker required. https://www.natso.com/blog/truckstop-biodiesel-pump-labeling-requirements-unraveled-

You will be lucky not to find any diesel pump that doesn't have biodiesel. Most stations carry diesel with 5% but not noted.

As far as additives, you need to be very careful with the CP4 pump in the Ford diesel. You need to check the additive to make sure it seperates water and not emusifies which will cause water to get in your fuel system. You also need to make sure it doesn't have alcohol in it as that will damage the pump.

With your auxillary tank I would consider adding a aftermarket fuel filter system. Unless you are turning your fuel over alot you run the risk of condensation and water in you system, also algea.

To be a little more clear, the tank that transfer flow installed was a replacement OEM tank. We’ve gone from a 26 gallon to a 50 gallon. And regards to handle color, the gentleman in the waiting room with me was convinced that all biodiesel was marked at the pump by a yellow handle. I don’t think he quite believed me that the green handled diesel at flying J was Biodiesel! I’ve always found flying J to be very upfront about labeling their diesel as bio diesel. I too had read that if it was under 6% the labeling was not required and I agree that most diesel out there probably is biodiesel these days. But now I’m wondering about the stations that say they’re selling #2 diesel. Is it really #2 diesel? Or is it a blend #2 diesel with 5% bio??????

I’ll do a little more reading on all these additives and also have my husband check with the dealership when we do the fuel filter replacement. We were told to replace the filter between two and 3000 miles after the tank replacement. After that we can go back to regular maintenance routines.

Sandy

Lynn1130

I don't know if this relates to your question and to be honest I have never paid that close attention to the pumps but as I recall the pumps in Arizona have stickers that say that the diesel could contain up to 5% bio.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
My ‘12 SD is designed to operate on B20 bio diesel fuel. I only recall seeing the grade offered at 1 station once in the north mid-west. I opted not to use. All fuels contain a percentage of bio just as all gasolines (in most markets) have some ethanol

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodiesel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

I use this fuel when I can get it local to where I am in California. It is normally "not biodiesel" per their literature, but made from similar animal fat resources. Bottom line is that the pump handles are green. BTW, it has a 75 cetane rating vs the usual 60 diesel cetane rating. It is usually one of the lowest cost diesel fuels around.

https://propelfuels.com/our_fuels?active=diesel

ksucats

Cetane rating of 75?? That is so much more than what I believe our local supplier has -- if I'm not mistaken it is 45 or so. I know that it is not above 50. Your truck must start and run like a jaguar!:cool::cool:

wdk450

I use this fuel when I can get it local to where I am in California. It is normally "not biodiesel" per their literature, but made from similar animal fat resources. Bottom line is that the pump handles are green. BTW, it has a 75 cetane rating vs the usual 60 diesel cetane rating. It is usually one of the lowest cost diesel fuels around.

https://propelfuels.com/our_fuels?active=diesel

Well, the above is all of the good news. The bad news is that the pumps are a single pump independent of the rest of that station's brand, and you can't use the major brand's credit card on that pump. The pumps are very few and far between. There are 2 in the whole San Diego area. I found 1 out in Hemet, and the nearest one to me where I am now is 80 miles away in Fresno. I believe the company is out of the Bay Area, so I guess there are more locations around there. They have a locations link on their main webpage: https://propelfuels.com/locations

On Edit: Well, the pump handles colors thing got me wondering if there were indeed labeling laws, or this was just local/corporate custom? I did a websearch on the subject, and the 2 newest hits were from 2016. These reports said that there is NO ONE STANDARD OR LABELLING LAWS, ON FUEL TYPES AND PUMP HANDLES. In fact the YELLOW handles have been used for both biodiesel and E-85 Ethenol/Gasoline fuels. Best advice was to ALWAYS look at the pump selection mechanism labeling.
https://mydaytondailynews.com/news/...s-can-hit-your-wallet/2g5MS41R7p1OLLW2V7mGPM/

After I mistakenly put 5 gallons of regular gasoline in my diesel a few years back (and then filled the rest of the 36 gallon tank with diesel), I got some GREEN spray paint and painted my locking diesel fuel cap to match what the diesel station hose handles I've seen look like.