DIESEL 1 or DIESEL 2

Rodbuster

I have never owned a diesel engine before so please appreciate me not being familiar with the fuels that they use.

For the first time since I have owned my 2011 Ford power-Stroke, I came across a station that was selling diesel 1 and diesel 2. I never knew that there was such a fuel as diesel 1. I was 99% sure that I had been using diesel 2, so that is what I filled my tank with.
"If" I had filled with diesel 1, what would have happened? Are there any other types of diesel that I might run across? Is there anything out there that I should really stay from?

Thank you
Dick

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Diesel #1 is for extreme cold. #2 is what you want to use. I live in WI where it gets pretty cold and I still use #2.

Peace
Dave

MTPockets

I saw a pump next to the regular Deisel 2 pump labeled "Off Road use only" ... Also, you may see deisel labeled with a percentage of Biodeisel. My truck says I'm good for up to 20% Biodeisel. I've used some labeled 5% Biodeisel.

RollingHome

I purchased 2 yellow diesel containers. I filled 1 with low sulfer diesel as recommended by the OEM. I filled the other with off road diesel at 15 cents a gallon less. I let both containers sit. The off road had 1/4 > 3/8 inch of mud (dirty stuff) in the bottom. I never bought off road again. Diesel fuel (1&2), kerosene, home heating oil, and jet fuel are all basically the same fuel. The only thing different is filtering, additives and cetane levels. I have had great success by adding cetane booster from Auto Zone ($16/gal) or WalMart ($14/gal) same stuff in a silver can. I gained almost 2 mpg with no other changes. Several of my friends tried it with similar results. Be careful, some of the additives are anti-gel for Alaskan type winters. Why they sell it in the lower 48 baffles me ??? 1 or 2 will work for you, I would choose the cheaper one. Be sure you don't have to run low sulfur because the biodiesel (soy fuel) will cause problems. Happy RVing

GOTTOYS

Any on road vehicle sold after 2007 is required by federal law to use low sulfur, on road diesel in the United States. Off road fuel is dyed red and can easily be spotted if it's in your fuel system. There is no road tax charged on off road (red) fuel. There are HUGE penalties (I heard upwards of $10,000) if you get caught using it in an on road vehicle. In the Winter #1 is blended with #2 in the northern climates to eliminate problems with fuel gelling up during extreme cold weather. It is sold that way and you need not worry about blending it yourself. Straight #1 doesn't have the lubricity that # 2 has and would be devastating to your injector pump. I would be careful when putting additives in your tank. Most manufacturers do not recommend any. As far as gaining 2 mpg by dumping a can of something into 30-40 gals of fuel...You can believe that if you want to, I'm sure my results would vary...Don

BigIron

Over on the east coast you will see labels, "Ultra Low Sulfur" diesel fuel. Now that I'm stationed on the west coast its D#2, which after research is labeled just "low sulfur"
As for additives and fuel savings. I don't see it and I use Lucas fuel treatment every other fill up. Sitting at 8,660lbs truck alone its not possible..my opinion...and I track MPGs. Now what I do use Lucas for is for the diesel engine lubrication. Stuff you can't see.

Last edited:

GOTTOYS

Don, before you doubt me - try it... I'm offended you would call me a liar !
Sorry, I won't be trying it. I'm still under warranty and don't want to risk pouring anything into my fuel tank that may put my warranty at risk. Chrysler specifically states no additives in the fuel...I've spent a lot of years in the car business and have yet to see a "miracle" product like the one you describe that actually works. Don't think the risk would be worth the reward...I sincerely hope it works for you, I just find it pretty hard to believe. JMHO..Don

RollingHome

Don, one of the reasons I believe the additive (cetane booster & injector cleaner) worked so well for me is that my TV sits over the winter. I keep the tank full to prevent condensation from forming in the area of the tank not full. However, the diesel loses some of its cetane. My truck performance was lack luster and the mileage was around 16 mpg. On my first trip out I double dosed the additive ratio (okay per maker). Pulling the RV I noticed little difference, once unhooked - Wow ! The mileage went over 17 and the performance improvement was night and day. For the performance improvement alone I will continue to use it. It was recommended to me by my brother in law who has been a GM mechanic in GM dealerships all his life - he's 55YO and he uses it. Like he says " what difference does it make if you or the oil company puts in the same additive" ? He has a point, besides how would any truck maker know you put it in or an oil company ? I understand you not wanting to use an additive but I will and I will continue to share my experience with others - some have seen the benefits I mentioned. Maybe a daily use truck with fresh fuel would not see a difference, I don't know. Happy RVing.

tmcran

I purchased 2 yellow diesel containers. I filled 1 with low sulfur diesel as recommended by the OEM. I filled the other with off road diesel at 15 cents a gallon less. I let both containers sit. The off road had 1/4 > 3/8 inch of mud (dirty stuff) in the bottom. I never bought off road again. Diesel fuel (1&2), kerosene, home heating oil, and jet fuel are all basically the same fuel. The only thing different is filtering, additives and cetane levels. I have had great success by adding cetane booster from Auto Zone ($16/gal) or WalMart ($14/gal) same stuff in a silver can. I gained almost 2 mpg with no other changes. Several of my friends tried it with similar results. Be careful, some of the additives are anti-gel for Alaskan type winters. Why they sell it in the lower 48 baffles me ??? 1 or 2 will work for you, I would choose the cheaper one. Be sure you don't have to run low sulfur because the biodiesel (soy fuel) will cause problems. Happy RVing

Question? Did you buy the off road diesel(red) for off road use only? Finding that much stuff in off road diesel is unusual from my experience. I use it for tractors and other equipment on my ranch. Using off road diesel for any thing else than off road use can and will result in a very large fine . It is not uncommon at all for the DOT guys to go to cattle auctions and do testing on the trucks.

As far as fuel additives adding 2 mpg ..... will to each his own. I have used several types and can't really tell any difference in mileage. Mileage is variable tho due to all of us having different driving habits. I have found driving at 60-65 helps mileage more than driving at 70.

GOTTOYS

Don, one of the reasons I believe the additive (cetane booster & injector cleaner) worked so well for me is that my TV sits over the winter. I keep the tank full to prevent condensation from forming in the area of the tank not full. However, the diesel loses some of its cetane. My truck performance was lack luster and the mileage was around 16 mpg. On my first trip out I double dosed the additive ratio (okay per maker). Pulling the RV I noticed little difference, once unhooked - Wow ! The mileage went over 17 and the performance improvement was night and day. For the performance improvement alone I will continue to use it. It was recommended to me by my brother in law who has been a GM mechanic in GM dealerships all his life - he's 55YO and he uses it. Like he says " what difference does it make if you or the oil company puts in the same additive" ? He has a point, besides how would any truck maker know you put it in or an oil company ? I understand you not wanting to use an additive but I will and I will continue to share my experience with others - some have seen the benefits I mentioned. Maybe a daily use truck with fresh fuel would not see a difference, I don't know. Happy RVing.
Our fuel is blended for Winter use from Oct through March. I believe it gets more #1 added to it during the peak coldest months and is then reduced during the months it warms up. My fuel mileage suffers accordingly. As we get back into the warm months my mileage increases as the fuel quality goes up. I suspect this may be the case in your State as well. You might be able to save some money by just running out the tank it sat with all Winter and going with fresh fuel only. I bet you would see the same increase in mileage..just sayin...Don

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Use # 2 and when its available I use B5. Never had any issues with either one. I would only use #1 if the truck was parked and the temps were below freezing.

RollingHome

TC, I purchased the off road for use in my tractor/s too... However, they are new Kubota models and the dealer (I believe Kubota too) stated "use ultra low sulfur diesel - not even biodiesel". I purchased the off road fuel to give it a try in an older Kubota. In reality I was going to try it in the newer ones too until I saw all the stuff in it. I figured I would be filling the filters with stuff so I did not purchase more. The off road fuel did not have any dye in it, it was brown. I was totally surprised by how much dirt was in it. I only bought it once a couple of years ago and the yellow plastic container is still stained from the 'mud stuff' at the bottom of the container. I know 2 guys running home heating oil in their pick um up trucks... I think they are crazy, one fine and ya would have to live 2 life times to make it up.

Don, they do treat our diesel with non gelling agent in the winter in PA. The nearest diesel station is pretty far away so I have a 250 gallon tank next to the barn. I believe I have a problem (probably) with stale diesel but... what can I do except use an additive. I am dammed if I do and dammed if I don't so I do the best I can. When I bought the TV it ran like a pro-stocker... then it started running like a pro stinker, until I put the magic juice in. I'm happy with the performance again. Happy RVing

brianharrison

Here is a document from Chevron detailing Diesel Fuels Technical Review. Everything and more that you probably wanted to know about diesel fuel.

All diesel in the US follows ASTM D975 Requirements for Diesel Fuel Oils. Refer to Page 45/46 for differences between 1D and 2D. As mentioned 1D has a lower flash point to assist with diesel handling and performance in colder climates. Note these are min specifications and sometimes selection of feedstock/particular refiners create diesel with "greater" properties. Example is lubricity - sometimes testing on 2D gives "better lubricity" than 520 microns. Up here in Canada our diesel is usually spec'd for lubricity of 460 microns (similar to European Union).

I CAUTION the use of off road diesel in the ULSD vehicles - off road diesel is usually spec'd at less than 500 ppm sulfur (greater than 15 ppm).

Take care,
Brian

lwmcguir

Question? Did you buy the off road diesel(red) for off road use only? Finding that much stuff in off road diesel is unusual from my experience. I use it for tractors and other equipment on my ranch. Using off road diesel for any thing else than off road use can and will result in a very large fine . It is not uncommon at all for the DOT guys to go to cattle auctions and do testing on the trucks.

As far as fuel additives adding 2 mpg ..... will to each his own. I have used several types and can't really tell any difference in mileage. Mileage is variable tho due to all of us having different driving habits. I have found driving at 60-65 helps mileage more than driving at 70.
Our off road farm Diesel is the same as #2 at the pump, just has the red dye. comes out of the same tanks so there should be no difference in the amount of dirt. I have never seen any in 50 or so years to any degree. #1 Fuel is Kerosene and it will burn to hot in the summer time allowing you to exceed the recommended limits on the engine. If you have a pyrometer you can see this happen. Blended fuel is the way to go in the winter only. Off road fuel is minus the tax so it should be 45-50 cents per gallon cheaper in almost all the states.

wildwolfproducts

I purchased 2 yellow diesel containers. I filled 1 with low sulfer diesel as recommended by the OEM. I filled the other with off road diesel at 15 cents a gallon less. I let both containers sit. The off road had 1/4 > 3/8 inch of mud (dirty stuff) in the bottom. I never bought off road again. Diesel fuel (1&2), kerosene, home heating oil, and jet fuel are all basically the same fuel. The only thing different is filtering, additives and cetane levels. I have had great success by adding cetane booster from Auto Zone ($16/gal) or WalMart ($14/gal) same stuff in a silver can. I gained almost 2 mpg with no other changes. Several of my friends tried it with similar results. Be careful, some of the additives are anti-gel for Alaskan type winters. Why they sell it in the lower 48 baffles me ??? 1 or 2 will work for you, I would choose the cheaper one. Be sure you don't have to run low sulfur because the biodiesel (soy fuel) will cause problems. Happy RVing

We have pumped thousands of gallons of the Off road fuel in our equipment. Never had to change a fuel filter for trash, Now we will get some water in a thouand gallon tank some times. But never had trash. Must have been the station you bought it at? Or your new fuel can has it to start with. I have had 3 of those that had trash straight from the stores.
Also used to fuel the Tri-axle dump truck with the off road fuel years ago. Its the same as what we run on the roads but has the red dye in it.

Bksvo

Sorry, I won't be trying it. I'm still under warranty and don't want to risk pouring anything into my fuel tank that may put my warranty at risk. Chrysler specifically states no additives in the fuel...I've spent a lot of years in the car business and have yet to see a "miracle" product like the one you describe that actually works. Don't think the risk would be worth the reward...I sincerely hope it works for you, I just find it pretty hard to believe. JMHO..Don

FWIW, Ford suggests using Cetane Booster in the 6.0L and 6.4L engines. I buy it from Ford (same price as discount stores). I find my truck runs much smoother (less pinging) and I do get better mileage, but less than 1mpg. It adds about $1.50 per fill up. Sometimes I run out of booster, and can tell pretty quickly that I'm running on untreated fuel.

I don't know about the new 6.7L.

RollingHome

Bksvo... Thank you for sharing my friend. At least I know others have had similar results. I run a Cheby... If I am not mistaken Ford has sold more trucks then GMC or Chrysler... I would expect them to know what's best for their diesel trucks. I may just check out my local Ford dealers price on the "magic" juice, thanks again for sharing.

lwmcguir

Bksvo... Thank you for sharing my friend. At least I know others have had similar results. I run a Cheby... If I am not mistaken Ford has sold more trucks then GMC or Chrysler... I would expect them to know what's best for their diesel trucks. I may just check out my local Ford dealers price on the "magic" juice, thanks again for sharing.
Recommended for 6.7 engine as well. New formulation per Ford and only Ford Cetane booster is recommended.