Birds nest in pinbox.

Bob.jr

Every year birds make a nest in the pinbox. Any ideas on how to keep them out?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Heartland owners Monica and Don did this to theirs, I took pic of it at a rally.

d85a25f9b2aceb4e72006173569a92a2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob.jr

That's a good idea. I think I will try that. Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
We have had two nests built in ours where we are sitting right now. They can build them pretty fast! I think I will implement this idea.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Heartland owners Monica and Don did this to theirs, I took pic of it at a rally.

And yet another mod to tackle! Last year, I had a Starling make a nest inside the overhang through a wire pass-through hole in the pinbox opening at the storage yard. Could hear the chicks in there, but no way to get them out. After moving the rig north and no longer hearing them, I sealed up the hole with Gorilla tape. It's a cruel world, I know.

A couple of years ago, we had one make a nest in the exhaust tubing for a bathroom fan on the side of the house. Drove the cats nuts until I got it out of there and put an exhaust vent with a grating on it.

TravelTiger

We had a very prolific Wren working in ours between March 19 and April 8! 5 eggs sadly had to go. We put a piece of that silver bubble insulation sheet in the space for now.

avvidclif

It's called "Chick you may have laid those eggs in one zip code but they're hatching in another"

wdk450

I had birds also building a nest in my rangetop vent about this time a few years ago. They would actually fly up, open the vent flap, and go up inside above than fan. After evicting the bird, I made up a bead chain mechanism to close and secure the outside vent flap from the inside.

chiefneon

Howdy!

I read on another site someone recommended taking a cheap beach ball and placing in the pin box area and blowing it up. Sounds like it would work, haven't tried it yep myself. We've had the same problem and wife just stuffs a towel in ours for now.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We haven't had a bird problem . . . but have had several wasp nests in our pinbox.

I have evicted them twice so far . . . and I saw them flying in and out of there again the other day!

I wonder if the bar of Irish Spring soap would work for them :confused:

DWChris

Good idea. I've stuffed garbage bags and the birds will pull them out! How did you attach it?

Ellie

I battled barn swallows continuously making nests under our slides and in the pin box until I discovered that hanging some cheap windsocks (with the long, fluttering strips) would keep them away. I periodically had to go untangle the strips to keep them flapping properly but no birds nested while the windsocks were moving at all. For wasps, I bought a fake wasp nest at Lee Valley and hung it from the pin. They are territorial so will not build near another nest, even a fake one!

TravelTiger

Good idea. I've stuffed garbage bags and the birds will pull them out! How did you attach it?

I think it's pretty stiff wire mesh cut around the junction box and bent to shape, just wedged into the space. I didn't see any attachment.

wdk450

On my pinbox screen, I cut the screen about an inch oversized on the sides, bent that over onto the metal, and used black Gorilla tape to secure it.

BTW, I now keep black, white and clear Gorilla tape in the trailer. The white is great for covering up/sealing stuff on the white fiberglass.

happykraut

Bar of Irish Spring soap, haven't had a nest in 3 years.
That sure would be the easiest method of getting rid of them if it works. I use the Irish Spring soap behind the basement wall and in the storage area to keep out mice. Never had one yet.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Here is our set of RV mouse traps . . .

CampinKitties-P9020527.jpg

These guys won't eat the mousies . . . but will talk them to death! :D

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Here is our set of RV mouse traps . . .

View attachment 51055

These guys won't eat the mousies . . . but will talk them to death! :D

Yeah, my two roving mousetraps will just stare them to death...if they come out from under the cabinets. It's not pleasant when the wife finds mouse doodoo in her underwear drawer. Been keeping them out the past couple of years by sealing any openings in the frame and spraying with the MouseFree.

Attachments

• Max on counter 2.jpg
    Max on counter 2.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Allie Snoozing.JPG
    Allie Snoozing.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 22