Black Water Odor

Has anyone else had this problem? When we start our ac it sucks up the odor from the black water pipe and sends it inside our unit. We have tried several different kinds of products to eliminate the smell but nothing seems to help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

brianharrison

I am pretty certain the AC only circulates air from inside the trailer - the sewer smell must be coming in from another way. Possibly through a roof top vent, or imperfect slide seal? Others may have better ideas.

Possibly at first start up the AC creates an imbalance in air pressure in the coach (negative pressure near the AC air inlet, inside near roof) until the air flow is sustained from the vents to the inlet? Have you tried starting with the waste flap open (outlet flaps right on the AC). Do you still get the sewer smell?

Only thinking out loud here - sorry I cannot be of more help.

Brian

EDIT: Just reread your post - are you suggesting the sewer smell is coming from the black water pipe in the trailer ie another drain like a sink? The only real "black water pipe" in a trailer is the toilet connection. All others are grey water. ‚

I have had my sewer (black water tank) vent stack emit some smell when it breathes and is sucked back into the trailer when my fantastic fan is bringing air into the trailer.

A little more clarification may help others help understand the specifics of your problem.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I would go up on the roof and remove the vent caps. Take a look at the vent pipe. You may need to seal around it and the roof.
You might also want to remove the interior shroud of the AC unit. Be sure you don't see any daylight up there.
One more thing is that you may be smelling the RV sewer system if you are leaving your grey tank dump valves open while at your site.

Peace
Dave

conradsteph

One thing we learned was to make sure you have water in your toilet(s) and make sure you have water in the p-traps of your sinks (just run the water for a few moments if for some reason it has dried/evaporated out.)
The seal on our toilet bowl in the bedroom isn't as tight as it should so any water that was in there prior drains out over a day or so. Before I turn on the AC, I'll check the toilet bowl and the sinks. When the AC turns on, it draws in air from inside the coach. So for a few moments you have some negative pressure inside which can draw up some of the odors from the tanks through the piping in sinks and toilet. I noticed this quite a bit when I would turn on the vent fan in the bathroom. With water in the toilet bowl, no odors. Good Luck.