Black Water tank valve cable

skh

We have been having issues with the black water tank valve in a 2010 Landmark Grand Canyon. It never has worked very smooth and easy from day 1, the grey water tanks so far are much better.

The cable finally came apart behind the handle, it is still attached at the valve. Which I must add is in a horrendous place to try to work on and find if you have not been there. It's fine when they build these units to start with the frame and pile it on as they go at the time, but they should think a little about future maintenance over the long run! We've got the cable rigged back together and operating for now but very carefully.

I am about to order a new cable and next opportunity when we have time open up more of the underbelly in the hopes of removing the old cable at the valve, attaching the handle end of the new cable to it and try to work it through to the UDC for replacement and then attach the end to the valve.

The new Valterra cable is 72 or 96 inches. I'm thinking 72 is enough but not that totally sure and would appreciate comment on the subject. The reviews all state it is better made and operates smoother than the OEM cable in a variety of brands.

danemayer

Hi skh,

You should drop the corner of the coroplast so you can get to the black tank valve itself. Make sure the 4 nuts are snug, but not overly tight. Also spray a lubricant (not WD40) on the plunger and work it in and out. You'll probably find that the valve then operates smoothly. While in there, you can probably also lube the Gray #1 and maybe also get to Gray #2.

mlpeloquin

You may find that there is a lot of extra cable length. Heartland does not trim them for a custom length. You can remove the sleeve and cable and shorten it up with a Dremel tool using a cutoff wheel. Lubricate the cable with graphite prior to pushing it back into the sleeve. It will work better than the other two. If your valve is the issue as well, remember to tilt your rig toward the drain so everything as much as possible will empty. Then tilt the other way to remove and replace the valve. Don't ask why I know this.

Toy1Ton

Toy 1 Ton
Dump a bottle of Murphy soap down the toilet work the valve a couple of times I should loosen things up