Blowmax owners group

Tallyrver

I had my new Michelin Ribs installed last week. Huge upgrade from the Blowmax's that it came with. When the tire guys pulled the tires off we found a pending disaster !
One of the other tires had a broken belt . It was on the opposite side of the fifth wheel that had the first blowout.
The wife called Camping world to vent a little, she was told by the service manager that the tire issues were "our" fault by having 80 lbs. in the tire . He went on about cold pressure and hot tires .....
She told him that was the pressure listed on the side sticker.

It it ain't over ...

Wayne

PALTeam

Past Indiana Chapter Leaders
I'd like to be an honorary member, please. I had a suspension failure (posted elsewhere) and while crawling around found that two tires had 'blisters': the left front tire was on the outside side wall, near the valve stem and was a little larger than a ping pong ball; the second was the right rear tire, on the inside where tread met side wall, and was a good 8 inches long and 4 inches wide. Trailer had less than 5,000 miles, and I'm anal about torque and air pressure. The repair place had Carlisle tires, so that's what I replaced them with. I did not contact Blowmax, but should have, I suppose; I just bit the bullet. Hopefully 'biting the bullet' paid off through less damage and hassle. The Carlisle tires have performed well so far; I have about 6,000 miles on them, and they definitely hold air better than the Blowmax.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I'm not sure if I qualify, either . . .

Our 2013 Heartland Trail Runner had BlowMax tires on it up until three weeks ago and around 5000 miles on them, but while having major suspension work (replacement) done, I had all new tires and wheels (larger size than from the factory), we traded it in for a new 2015 Heartland Prowler, which also had a brand new shiny set of BlowMax tires on it!

Well, we picked up the new trailer last Friday, and I had the dealership the BlowMax's off of the Prowler and put my new tires (which had under 80 miles on them) on the Prowler.

Our old Trail Runner is all set to go for the next owner with five brand new BlowMax tires, two upgraded axles and all new and upgraded spring sets (all with under 80 miles on them)!

I still have the original Trail Runner Blowmax's mounted on the original wheels in my back yard . . . my neighbor is going to buy them from me!

First shot BlowMax's stacked on bike rack of Trail Runner with new spare mounted, second shot BlowMax's still on Trail Runner, third shot new tires and wheels on Trail Runner after suspension was upgraded :

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• EndOfTheBlowMaxs-P5100659.jpg
    EndOfTheBlowMaxs-P5100659.jpg
    779.4 KB · Views: 206
  • AxleRepairBefore-P5090649.jpg
    AxleRepairBefore-P5090649.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 202
  • AxleRepairAfter-P5090654.jpg
    AxleRepairAfter-P5090654.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 202

Westwind

After reading ScottyB's post on page one I know I can join the "Blowmax/Towmax Support Group", I yanked mine off after two years and 7K "LUCKY" miles. I never had a blowout nor did they destruct like some I've seen pictures of. I'm sure the gents who worked at "Sullivan Tire, Warwick, Rhode Island must have thought I had money to burn taking 4 great looking tires and 1 brand new spare off my Bighorn and putting 5 Goodyear G614's on it, but I was a happy boy when I left them at their garage.

oscar

Nice thread..... Yes, I am a member. Right rear (the heavy corner) went oval, started grooving up the one next to it and then blew in spectacular fashion. I think I got 10K out of it. Fortunately it didn't do much damage. 6 G614's are in transit as we speak.

And oh, I'm glad my name is not Max. :p

Attachments

• IMG_4271.jpg
    IMG_4271.jpg
    807.8 KB · Views: 29

jnbhobe

I lost the tread on a G-614 last week on the way to Goshen. I now have 4 Sailun S-635, 215/75/17.5

ILH

A day or two before heading off to Goshen, a few of us at the Ontario rally were standing around admiring a new Cyclone 4200. I looked down and noticed that the rig was still equipped with blowmax tires. Everyone stepped back in unison. That should tell you something. :p

oscar

A day or two before heading off to Goshen, a few of us at the Ontario rally were standing around admiring a new Cyclone 4200. I looked down and noticed that the rig was still equipped with blowmax tires. Everyone stepped back in unison. That should tell you something. :p

You Sir, owe me a keyboard.

JohnD

So, is there an owners club for those of us who got rid of the BlowMax tires before they caused us grief???

oscar

I think it was discussed above that you are a member, but get a different pin........ Meanwhile.....I just got back from the Fedex freight terminal where they dropped a pallet with six G614's in the back of my truck. They are now in the garage, and for schnitz and giggles I got the scales out.... A G614 by itself weighs exactly the same as a Blowmax on the wheel..... hmmmmmmmmmm.

KEN5150

Wow! a group dedicated to Towmax i mean Blowmax tires! I don't own a heartland RV but have an Outback that was factory equipped with Blowmax tires that did over $9k worth of damage to my RV. The "engineers" determined after inspection at their Canadian factory was that i ran them "under inflated" which is a complete lie since I check the pressure every time i travel. in fact, when we stopped to get another tire replaced on the road the service tech at the tire shop checked the pressure and it was 70 psi hot. I'm ****ed! this is the complaint i filed at the safecar.gov website which i encourage everyone to do if you haven't already. I'd like to see this company banned from selling tires in this country at least.

2 MONTHS AGO WHILE TRAVELING ON INTERSTATE 20 IN EAST TEXAS ONE OF MY TIRES ON MY 2014 300RB SEPARATED AND DID $9K WORTH OF DAMAGE TO MY RV SEVERING GAS LINES, ELECTRICAL LINES AND DESTROYED MY CABINETS! THIS TIRE DID NOT EXPLODE. IN FACT IT WAS STILL AIRED UP TO 70 PSI WHEN I STOPPED!!!!! THE TREAD LITERALLY JUST FELL OF THE TIRE!!!!! AND WHEN I STOPPED TO PUT THE SPARE ON I NOTICED ANTHER TIRE WAS ABOUT TO SEPARATE TOO! THIS COMPANY DYNAMIC TIRE THAT MAKES THE POWER KING TOWMAX BRAND TRAILER TIRES SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO SELL THESE TIRES TO THE PUBLIC! PERIOD! AFTER READING NUMEROUS SEPARATION ISSUES WHY HAVEN'T THEY BEEN RECALLED? SIZE WAS A D RATED TIRE 225/ 75R15 LET ME STATE SOME FACTS: 1. THE TIRES WERE ONLY 2.5 YEARS OLD. I?M NO DUMMY I CAN READ A DATE CODE ON MY TIRES. 2. I WAS TRAVELING AT 60 MPH. 3. I WAS NOT OVERLOADED. IN FACT EVERY TIME I TOW I DUMP ALL TANKS INCLUDING THE HOT WATER HEATER. THE SPECS ON THE TRAILER SAYS I SHOULD BE ABLE TO CARRY UP TO 1,300 LBS OF CARGO. I WASN?T EVEN CLOSE TO THAT!!!!! WE PACK LIGHTLY! 4. I HAVE DRIVEN, TRAILERS, BOATS, ETC ALL ACROSS THE COUNTRY FOR 20 YEARS AND NEVER HAD A TIRE SEPARATE LIKE THIS ONE DID! I AM IN A CLAIMS PROCESS WITH DYNAMIC TIRE CO. WHO MAKES THE POWER KING TIRES RIGHT NOW. POWER KING IS **** LUCKY THAT NO ONE WAS KILLED!

danemayer

did you make the tire available to NHTSA so they could check for a mfg defect?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

KEN5150

Dan, thanks for your reply. Should i have sent the tire to the DOT? I sent the tires directly to Dyanmic tire corp (who makes the Power king) in Canada for inspection. Their determination was that it was "under inflated". Which is not true. it was aired to 70 psi when I stopped to change it.

justafordguy

... A G614 by itself weighs exactly the same as a Blowmax on the wheel..... hmmmmmmmmmm.

My tire guy noticed the same thing when I was getting my Sailun mounted, sure takes all the mystery out of why the blowmax fail so often huh.;)

oscar

did you make the tire available to NHTSA so they could check for a mfg defect?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I did not. in the happy scurry of finding a late night service center at a truck stop and getting a new tire on that wheel it slipped my mind. They made the evidence go away. If you want to read the whole story it's here..... //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/51644-I-ve-joined-the-Blowmax-club?highlight=

KEN5150

I just replaced all 4 blowmax tires (with only 3k miles on them before they separated) with the Maxxis 8008 ST tires. you guys had good experiences with Maxxis tires?

danemayer

Dan, thanks for your reply. Should i have sent the tire to the DOT? I sent the tires directly to Dyanmic tire corp (who makes the Power king) in Canada for inspection. Their determination was that it was "under inflated". Which is not true. it was aired to 70 psi when I stopped to change it.

When the tires go to the distributor or manufacturer for failure analysis, they usually come back with a finding that the failure was due to user error, which no one ever believes. That's probably because they have a built-in conflict of interest in that if they were to find a manufacturing defect, it would cost their employer a lot of money.

If NHTSA were to examine the failed tire, and found a manufacturing defect, they would be able to order a recall. Of course it's possible they might also attribute the failure to user error. But if they did, at least you'd have confidence that the finding was legit.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I just replaced all 4 blowmax tires (with only 3k miles on them before they separated) with the Maxxis 8008 ST tires. you guys had good experiences with Maxxis tires?

We replaced our Blowmax (pre-blow) with Maxxis. After 3 years, we noticed they were getting close to the wear bar, so we planned to replace them. On a trip, I noticed what looked like a slight cracking at the edge of the tread, so I knew it was getting close to time. We finished the trip and upon further examination, the cracking was the beginning of tread separation. Luckily we caught it before it happened. Can I say the tires never saw a pothole or curb, or run a little hot, or a little over the speed limit? No. Honestly, looking back, it could have been from when we had a valve stem leaking and we had to drive about 1.5 miles on a low tire into town to get it replaced. You never know what could be the beginning of the failure.

Anyway, long story to say, we put Maxxis on again. We just could not spend the $ for new rims and tires (ours are only rated to 80psi). I have total confidence in these tires, but still watch them like hawk, always 80psi, keep speed under 65, and run with TPMS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

You should replace your spare as well . . .

BlowMax tires aren't even good enough to be a spare tire!