Blowmax owners group

oscar

You should replace your spare as well . . .

BlowMax tires aren't even good enough to be a spare tire!

Funny. Two large into the hole for 6 G614's I'm keeping a few Blowmaxes as spares..... just to get me to the next Goodyear dealer.

Yep, I was one of the "It'll never happen to me". But after reading all of the Blowmax threads, I was always sure to check pressure and for any thread separation. Left the campground after the April Bristol race and less than 100 miles down the road, I heard the right front blow. In another 100 miles, right rear blew. Thankfully, I was able to get off the road fairly quickly so damage was minimal. I now have 7 new Sailun S637s and can travel with peace of mind. My advice, get rid of the Blowmax ASAP.

f50287720710d609d1ed2fb4515f465f.jpg
1512aee5a53fc05cc051f5164ee59a7c.jpg
9abf899514629fa4af950dd4a500a257.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kevinpn

I too have joined the Blowmax club!! Just had checked the tires yesterday am, pulled out of the site. Wife and I decided to stay off the highway and take a more scenic route home. 35 min later and 40mph POW!! Tire #1. Get up the road about 3 mi to a service station wanted to double check pressures. Yep another Blowmax was peering around the corner just waiting to jump out and wreak havoc. The 2nd one was swollen and had separation with a split in the tread with air hissing out. Was not a fun day. We found a local tire shop and was recommended the carlisle radial trail rh. So i have 2 of those. I'm reading some bad things about older Carlisle but not much on these. Anyone running these? Going on a 2013 Sundance 3270RES
UqhGNoX45H2ECtMY7
Y6ipafwBnZ4Ea2gz6

Garpo

I'm not a member, yet and hope not to be in the future. However, my new Sundance XLT 298BH came equipped with "blowmax" tires. I currently have less than 300 miles on them and need to head out tomorrow on a 400 mile round trip outing – no time to replace them. I’m hoping I’ll not be surprised with any failures during my trek. I did have them balanced, so I’m hoping that will buy me a little insurance. I will consider replacing them when I get back. Wish me luck…

porthole

Retired
If NHTSA were to examine the failed tire, and found a manufacturing defect, they would be able to order a recall. Of course it's possible they might also attribute the failure to user error. But if they did, at least you'd have confidence that the finding was legit.

I wonder how, with the amount of damage some of these tires have anyone can tell.
My failed Goodyear G-114 went back to Goodyear for examination. But, there was no tread and little sidewall left of the carcass.

When the tires go to the distributor or manufacturer for failure analysis, they usually come back with a finding that the failure was due to user error, which no one ever believes. That's probably because they have a built-in conflict of interest in that if they were to find a manufacturing defect, it would cost their employer a lot of money.

And after my recent adventure, I will have nothing but Goodyear's on my trailer. Although I had to pay out of pocket to get 4 new tires in Myrtle Beach, I got 100% satisfaction from Goodyear in a relatively painless procedure.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
And after my recent adventure, I will have nothing but Goodyear's on my trailer. Although I had to pay out of pocket to get 4 new tires in Myrtle Beach, I got 100% satisfaction from Goodyear in a relatively painless procedure.

Good to hear. Makes me feel better about the little extra I spent on tires.

Thanks Heartland !! My tire Blowmax went with no warning. I kept a close eye on tire pressure and inspected daily and had a Blowout on the highway with no warning. This caused a lot of damage to my 5th wheel. I have spent over $700 to replace Tires Heartland installed on my 5th wheel and still have to spend hundreds more to fix damage caused by flying rubber. I am so glad I purchased my 5th wheel from someone so Reliable. I will be sure to tell anyone who listens what kind of product Heartland produces. Of course I called Heartland and got the It's the tire manufacturers Responsibility. They are supposed to have us ship the Blown up tire ( which we have been carrying thousands of miles ) still no callback from Dynamic tire or TBC the distributer. Maybe I missed Jumping through one of many Hoops.?? This was the first road trip with this under my 5th wheel and I want to thank Heartland for all there help in making it so memorable !!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim-Lynn

Thanks Heartland !! My tire Blowmax went with no warning. I kept a close eye on tire pressure and inspected daily and had a Blowout on the highway with no warning. This caused a lot of damage to my 5th wheel. I have spent over $700 to replace Tires Heartland installed on my 5th wheel and still have to spend hundreds more to fix damage caused by flying rubber. I am so glad I purchased my 5th wheel from someone so Reliable. I will be sure to tell anyone who listens what kind of product Heartland produces. Of course I called Heartland and got the It's the tire manufacturers Responsibility. They are supposed to have us ship the Blown up tire ( which we have been carrying thousands of miles ) still no callback from Dynamic tire or TBC the distributer. Maybe I missed Jumping through one of many Hoops.?? This was the first road trip with this under my 5th wheel and I want to thank Heartland for all there help in making it so memorable !!!

I have a 4200 & also have Tow Max Tires. I have15,000 miles on them without an issue, so far. My insurance coves any damage. Heartland has changed tire suppliers which will help. I know it will nt make you feel any better but m last 5th wheel had Goodyear's and I blew 2 over time. Don't blame Heartland...

avvidclif

I too have joined the Blowmax club!! Just had checked the tires yesterday am, pulled out of the site. Wife and I decided to stay off the highway and take a more scenic route home. 35 min later and 40mph POW!! Tire #1. Get up the road about 3 mi to a service station wanted to double check pressures. Yep another Blowmax was peering around the corner just waiting to jump out and wreak havoc. The 2nd one was swollen and had separation with a split in the tread with air hissing out. Was not a fun day. We found a local tire shop and was recommended the carlisle radial trail rh. So i have 2 of those. I'm reading some bad things about older Carlisle but not much on these. Anyone running these? Going on a 2013 Sundance 3270RES
UqhGNoX45H2ECtMY7
Y6ipafwBnZ4Ea2gz6

My last RV had the Carlisles and I had no problems at all. Bought them in 2012.

Boney

I was at the Goshen Rally and decided I had trusted Blowmax and Luck far enough. Made a deal on the Sailuns when he took off my tires one was ready to blow, they say timing is everything. My Sundance is in a barn out of the sun but probably had 8,000 miles on them.

Kbvols

I was at the Goshen Rally and decided I had trusted Blowmax and Luck far enough. Made a deal on the Sailuns when he took off my tires one was ready to blow, they say timing is everything. My Sundance is in a barn out of the sun but probably had 8,000 miles on them.

Don,
How did those Sailuns feel pulling your Sundance? Could you tell a difference?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don, were your Sailuns tires taller than your Blowmax original equipment tires? Once hooked to your truck, did your trailer still sit level? How did your trailer pull. I got rid of my Blowmax tires two years ago now after blowing one tire on the way to the Goshen Heartland National rally. I put on the Good Year G614 tires. They run very cool with no wear issues. These tires have made two trips to AZ and back to Fort Wayne.

oscar

Don't blame Heartland...

Well, yes and no. I know they have to make money otherwise they go out of business, and cost control is everything. But do you REALLY want to skimp on something as important as tires? The Blowmax is an E (10 ply) tire that claims it's good for 3520# at 80psi...... The G614 is a G (14ply) tire that claims 3750# at 110psi. Which one do you believe? If you pick up a G614 you'll find it weighs more than a mounted Blowmax......

Cyclones now ship with G rated tires..... hmmmmmmm

danemayer

I know they have to make money otherwise they go out of business, and cost control is everything. But do you REALLY want to skimp on something as important as tires? The Blowmax is an E (10 ply) tire that claims it's good for 3520# at 80psi...... The G614 is a G (14ply) tire that claims 3750# at 110psi.

Higher cost tires don't come for free. You either pay for them by ordering an option, swapping them before taking delivery, replacing them after purchase, or if the manufacturer selects a higher cost tire.

The common factor is that you pay for the tires, just as you pay for everything else in the trailer.

Some people have noticed that the pricing on an upgrade to Goodyear G614, which includes profit for the tire manufacturer, the tire distributor, Heartland, and your RV dealer, may be more than you would pay to upgrade them yourself after purchase, considering that you can usually trade or sell the original tires. That may be due to taking RV dealer profit out of the mix.

Heartland has been moving away from Towmax, but obviously the transition is still underway.

oscar

Higher cost tires don't come for free. You either pay for them by ordering an option, swapping them before taking delivery, replacing them after purchase, or if the manufacturer selects a higher cost tire.

The common factor is that you pay for the tires, just as you pay for everything else in the trailer.

Some people have noticed that the pricing on an upgrade to Goodyear G614, which includes profit for the tire manufacturer, the tire distributor, Heartland, and your RV dealer, may be more than you would pay to upgrade them yourself after purchase, considering that you can usually trade or sell the original tires. That may be due to taking RV dealer profit out of the mix.

Heartland has been moving away from Towmax, but obviously the transition is still underway.

Agreed to a point. They were an option, but I was not aware of them. I know, caveat emptor and all that, but I shouldn't have to dig as deep as this subject to discover a blatant shortcoming. Somewhere in the back of your head you think they wouldn't ship these units with an unsat tire...... they did. They should have been been standard, as they are now. OK, the unit may cost a few hundred more. That's fine. But I shouldn't HAVE to be replacing brand new tires, and Craigslisting the old ones as part of the Heartland owners experience, let alone be standing on the side of an interstate 800 miles from home looking at the damage this inferior tire just did to my 80K unit. If you want to rationalize that, go ahead. I will to the end maintain that they screwed up here, big time. Is everything perfect? No. Do we enjoy our unit otherwise? Mostly. Would I do it again? Probably. My point is that there has been a boatload of Heartache here which could have easily been avoided if the engineers would have sat on the bean counters a little harder.

MTPockets

Agreed to a point. They were an option, but I was not aware of them. I know, caveat emptor and all that, but I shouldn't have to dig as deep as this subject to discover a blatant shortcoming. Somewhere in the back of your head you think they wouldn't ship these units with an unsat tire...... they did. They should have been been standard, as they are now. OK, the unit may cost a few hundred more. That's fine. But I shouldn't HAVE to be replacing brand new tires, and Craigslisting the old ones as part of the Heartland owners experience, let alone be standing on the side of an interstate 800 miles from home looking at the damage this inferior tire just did to my 80K unit. If you want to rationalize that, go ahead. I will to the end maintain that they screwed up here, big time. Is everything perfect? No. Do we enjoy our unit otherwise? Mostly. Would I do it again? Probably. My point is that there has been a boatload of Heartache here which could have easily been avoided if the engineers would have sat on the bean counters a little harder.
This seems like a solid reply to me. As far s engineers, I'm sure they're accepting the Towmax performance numbers in their calculations, but do they know of all the quality issues reported? Car manufacturers don't replace tires; you have to work thru the tire distributor for warranty claims. Is this the case with Towmax? Who has done that and gotten satisfaction? Regarding Towmax, has Heartland dropped them yet?

oscar

This seems like a solid reply to me. As far s engineers, I'm sure they're accepting the Towmax performance numbers in their calculations, but do they know of all the quality issues reported? Car manufacturers don't replace tires; you have to work thru the tire distributor for warranty claims. Is this the case with Towmax? Who has done that and gotten satisfaction? Regarding Towmax, has Heartland dropped them yet?

Yes, it appears that many, of not all, of the units are now shipping with an appropriate tire on it.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Regarding Towmax, has Heartland dropped them yet?

Yes, it appears that many, of not all, of the units are now shipping with an appropriate tire on it.

Our new 2015 Heartland Prowler, which was manufactured January 26, 2015 (according to the sticker on the side) came with BlowMax tires on it.

They are now on our trade in, a 2013 Heartland Trail Runner, as I had the brand new tires that I had just put on it a week before we traded it in and only had 80 miles on them swapped, to our new Prowler.

I'm thinking that Heartland either still has a whole warehouse full of them . . . or more tire purchases left on their contract with Tredit.