BR and Exterior televisions -- how to get access to the connections

TxCowboy

Have my PDI walk-thru this afternoon -- finally! :)

The television in the living room has a nice lanyard release so that you can access the television connections and the space behind the TV.

But how do you release the television in the bedroom? There looks to be a similar lanyard release I saw when DW and I did our final visit prior to signing the purchase paperwork. I did tug on the lanyard a time or two but I didn't want to break anything.

The exterior television doesn't have a lanyard and doesn't appear to be on a extendable wall mount. How do you access the connections in the rear of this TV? Since there are not external speakers, I've really like to hook up a bluetooth transmitter so that I can link up a good bluetooth speaker system.

Thanks!

TxCowboy

No response to this thread prior to the PDI so I'll pass on what I learned.

The exterior television can be removed. The secret is to lift the television up and pull the bottom toward you. This then permits you to access the connections on the rear and sides of the RV. This unit didn't come with a separate stand or base for the television so a friend or a table might help when doing any additional connections.

The TV in the bedroom is a whole other matter. There appears to be four screws covered by wooden screw buttons. You have to pull these buttons and remove the screws. This then permits you to remove the wooden frame that surrounds the television. As this point, I still have no idea whether you will then have access to the side or rear connections on the television. Not sure I'm going to attempt this anytime soon because I really don't want to mess up this unique feature in the RV.

HTH.

Kenneths

In the bedroom I looked with a flashlight and could see an additional HDMI port on the TV from the bottom, I slid the cable from the cabinet and let it hang below the mirror then felt behind it and was able to plug it in to the TV then pull the slack back into the cabinet to hook up my Blu-ray player. Glad I didn't have to remove the mirror.

TxCowboy

Kenneths, sorry for the delay. With the holiday and the new RV, we've been pretty much off the grid.

Question for you -- where did you plug in the Blu-Ray player? There is no other receptacle on that side of the bedroom except for the one used by the television which, I assume, is behind the television.

Kenneths

Guess the Key West is different from my Newport but my BR TV plugs into a receptacle in the cabinet on the top left of the TV. The cable and antenna booster switch are in there also. I was able to just put a Blu-ray player in there and run the cable in the existing hole for the TV power cord and cable.

TxCowboy

The bedroom cabinet designs are very different between the KW and the Newport. The cable and antenna boosters are in the closet; no wiring runs through the cabinets that are accessible by a cabinet door. That means , in the KW, the cable / OTA / satellite connection must be run through the walls to an area behind the television. The electrical connection for the TV must be behind the TV; there's no receptacle in the cabinets.

On a side note, from the HL website pics of the Newport, we have the same TV with the same decorative framing. In the Newport, is that framing removable?

owheaton

hey there. i to have the 2015 Newport and have had way too much experience with the TV and satellite systems for this unit for just 6 months of ownership! I've actually had to remove the mirror in the bedroom a couple of times to address some problems. Its really simple, just back the screws off and re-ayyach when your done...simply and absolutely nothing o worry or stress over. Hope this helps

Owen

TxCowboy

Owen, thanks for posting your comments. I've actually had the lower right corner of the mirror frame separating and need to remove it for repairs so it's good to know that it is a simple a process as I had hoped.

One additional question -- are the button-covered screws holding the mirror frame screwed into a metal frame, i.e., the television mount, or is it mounted to something else?

Kenneths

One additional question -- are the button-covered screws holding the mirror frame screwed into a metal frame, i.e., the television mount, or is it mounted to something else?

I removed the mirror in mine to hook up my satellite, the 4 screws are wood screws that screw into a strip of wood mounted to the wall on either side of the TV. Very easy to remove and put back. The TV by the way is mounted on a multi-position wall mount so it is able to swing out and have easy access to the connections. There is a small foam strip on the front of the TV that the mirror sets against and that is what holds the TV in place.

TxCowboy

I removed the mirror in mine to hook up my satellite, the 4 screws are wood screws that screw into a strip of wood mounted to the wall on either side of the TV. Very easy to remove and put back. The TV by the way is mounted on a multi-position wall mount so it is able to swing out and have easy access to the connections. There is a small foam strip on the front of the TV that the mirror sets against and that is what holds the TV in place.

This is great information! Now I'm wondering, since the bedroom television is on a swing-out mount, if I can swap the exterior TV mount (which is fixed) for the interior TV mount. On my Key West, both TVs are 32-inch LGs. I'm pretty sure the swing-out mount will fit in the exterior TV area and attach to the metal box.

The question is whether there will be an issue with the mirror clearance if the fixed TV mount in installed in the bedroom. Sounds like a weekend project. :)

Kenneths

Not sure if the outside compartment is deep enough to hold a multi-position mount. When you remove your mirror you can measure from the wall to the board the mirror screws into then measure the depth of the outside compartment to see if it will fit, on second thought you should be able to take a measurement from the wall to the back side of the mirror with it in place.

busted2341

has anyone tried to remove the exterior TV. I to have the LG on the exterior but the fixed mount is a glare problem. Just wondering if I can just a 1 or 2 degree tilt it solves the problem. How do you access that TV in that SMALL space????

TxCowboy

Frank, the Key West has a fixed mount. To remove the TV, pull the bottom toward you, then lift up on it. Mine removes easily.

Mine occasionally has a glare problem even with the matte finish on the TV, even with both awning open. It's just that time of year, I guess. Not sure there's a way to change the mount angle short of adding some type of shim to the upper mounts.