Breaker keeps Tripping on Generator

Nbomar

I have a 2014 RW 415 with the ONAN gen in it. I rarely use the Gen as we usually camp where there is 50A power. When we got the camper the internal breakers used to trip a lot and I realized HL had wired most of the load on one side of the panel. I took the breakers out and separated the load so the AC units are on opposite sides, etc. Since then, I haven't had any issues with breakers tripping. Last weekend I dry camped and was trying to run the gen to keep the camper all going. When using both AC during the day the top breaker on the generator would trip consistently within a few minutes of turning both AC units on. I had the fridge running on propane and all lights in the unit are LED and most were off at the time. At night, I could run both AC units and wouldn't have any issues. This was confusing and the only thing I could think of was at night I just got lucky and both units never had the compressors running at the same time. It is always the top breaker on the gen that trips. Any advice on this?

BLHFUN

I have a 2014 RW 415 with the ONAN gen in it. I rarely use the Gen as we usually camp where there is 50A power. When we got the camper the internal breakers used to trip a lot and I realized HL had wired most of the load on one side of the panel. I took the breakers out and separated the load so the AC units are on opposite sides, etc. Since then, I haven't had any issues with breakers tripping. Last weekend I dry camped and was trying to run the gen to keep the camper all going. When using both AC during the day the top breaker on the generator would trip consistently within a few minutes of turning both AC units on. I had the fridge running on propane and all lights in the unit are LED and most were off at the time. At night, I could run both AC units and wouldn't have any issues. This was confusing and the only thing I could think of was at night I just got lucky and both units never had the compressors running at the same time. It is always the top breaker on the gen that trips. Any advice on this?

I assume it's an Onan 5500? - Have you check the Line Voltage on each Leg to see what you are pulling with Both AC's on? I use my Gen Set all the time and can run any two at once with no issues.

whp4262

When the breaker trips do both A/C units quit? It sounds like one leg of your gen set might be running both units instead of one on each leg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

you know I need to check mine I think its doing the same thing. I have 3 A/C's so I figured I just need to figure out which 2 I can run on Gen power. Just haven't got around to it yet.

danemayer

you know I need to check mine I think its doing the same thing. I have 3 A/C's so I figured I just need to figure out which 2 I can run on Gen power. Just haven't got around to it yet.

On your LM 365 the Precision Circuits Power Control System is programmed to manage the power loads for you. I believe it will detect the generator running and shed loads as needed.

- - - Updated - - -

When the breaker trips do both A/C units quit? It sounds like one leg of your gen set might be running both units instead of one on each leg.

If both A/C units stop running when the breaker trips, they're on the same leg.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I popped the top breaker on the front of my generator last time.
I will try it again and watch the power control screen

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Test complete
I was able to do my testing and found A/C #1 & #3 are on L1 and #2 is on L2 so I can run #1 & #2 on gen power at the same time.
The power control system is amazing, to be able to see what's going on. The A/C pulls 1 amp at first with the fan, then 40 amps for a sec when the compressor kicks in then back to 10 to 11 amps when it running
b0d19903b140464eda6520df0bebb5b8.jpg
577ed0a0592052e2da13d68394dd6bda.jpg
bd269c9a22a81a1e77964321400e4b50.jpg
a65d458ee472cfb801d2fb427aa2e0d4.jpg

Last edited:

asherwin

On my Onan 5500 i have one 20A and one 30A breaker. The top one (20A) would trip after a short period when the AC came on. I replaced the breaker and it has been fine since. Could be a weak breaker in your case too.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Ya mine has 2 different color breakers and I've never looked to see what they are.
I will when I get home

Nbomar

Sorry, for some reason I can't reply in Tapatalk and I can only type 1 letter at a time in safari. I've had to type this in notepad and copy and paste. Anyways, it is the Onan 5500 and I don't know how to check line loads. When the breaker trips, the entire trailer shuts down. The only thing that still works is the dc powered items (lights, etc.). It's always the top breaker that trips. I don't know what the amperage is of that breaker. Where do I look to see? Where can you buy those breakers at to replace them?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Yep 1 20amp and 1 30amp so you were able to change it to 2 30s ?
1) Were the wires the same gauge behind there ?
2)did you check with Onan at all to see what they say about doing that ?
3)Would it void any warranty's ?
Just curious if you did any research, so that I don't have to....
fe43bb414e876a2a5be69f59e41f4863.jpg

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

This is A/C's #1 #2 & #3 on shore power
This forum has been so helpful in understanding what half of this stuff means. I think I've got it figured out.
39bdbed5de50f6297bf6dc999f10473a.jpg
2fe9e85101bef772a375698b072ba082.jpg
e026c32ea6913dbcaf9a031d6aa0375c.jpg

Last edited:

asherwin

No, i replaced the weak 20A breaker with a new 20A breaker. I did ask Onan about replacing it with a 30A and they said no.

scottyb

Sorry, for some reason I can't reply in Tapatalk and I can only type 1 letter at a time in safari. I've had to type this in notepad and copy and paste. Anyways, it is the Onan 5500 and I don't know how to check line loads. When the breaker trips, the entire trailer shuts down. The only thing that still works is the dc powered items (lights, etc.). It's always the top breaker that trips. I don't know what the amperage is of that breaker. Where do I look to see? Where can you buy those breakers at to replace them?

Just an idea for the elimination process. Check the J-box just outside the generator. There have been several cases, including mine, where the wiring was loose in the wire nuts. Mine would trip the breakers, then eventually burnt up the transfer switch. I found scorched wiring in the J-box. I stripped the wires and installed new wire nuts secure with electrical tape, and never had the issue again.

Nbomar

Just an idea for the elimination process. Check the J-box just outside the generator. There have been several cases, including mine, where the wiring was loose in the wire nuts. Mine would trip the breakers, then eventually burnt up the transfer switch. I found scorched wiring in the J-box. I stripped the wires and installed new wire nuts secure with electrical tape, and never had the issue again.

Will do!

BLHFUN

Yep 1 20amp and 1 30amp so you were able to change it to 2 30s ?
1) Were the wires the same gauge behind there ?
2)did you check with Onan at all to see what they say about doing that ?
3)Would it void any warranty's ?
Just curious if you did any research, so that I don't have to....

interesting. My 5500 has two 30 amp breakers.