Breaker keeps Tripping on Generator

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Whats up with that ???
My old one did also I think it had 2 black breakers.
This one is 1 white and 1 black

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

whp4262

Whats up with that ???
My old one did also I think it had 2 black breakers.
This one is 1 white and 1 black

It's just a WAG but I would say it's because of the 3 A/C units and the possibility of overloading the generator. 60A (2 30A breakers) would be equal to 7200 watts @ 120v and 50A (one 30A & one 20A breaker) would be equal to 6000 watts. So because the power source is rated at 5500 watts that would be my guess as to why one is 30A and one is 20A. And even though this still exceeds to power source most generators will handle a momentary power surge. But if the breakers were limited to 5500 watts then every time a momentary surge load happened it would trip the breakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

My dealer just order a 5500 I don't think they put any thought into 2 or 3
A/C's
I think if they did they would of tried to sell me a bigger one.

danemayer

Onan 5500 comes in a number of models. Looks like the newer gasoline models are all 30/20. Interesting that they're rated at 45.8 amps but have a breaker setup of either 50 or 60 amps.

Attachments

• Onan 550 models.pdf
    182.3 KB · Views: 13

Nbomar

Well after some more research, it appear 2 breakers in the main box were switched at some point causing pole 1 to be overloaded. While on shore power, it had enough power to run like it was, but when put on the generator, the generator couldn't sustain both AC units as well as other big items on the same leg of the breaker. I swapped a couple circuit breakers and everything ran for 10 minutes with no issues. I will go back this weekend and open up the trailer and let it run for a couple hours on generator and on shore power to see how well it works. Simple fix though. Thanks ALOT to whp4262 who had multiple private conversations and sent pics to help me figure out the issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk