Brighton, Colorado to KOA at Mount Rushmore

TravisG

Starting to plan some of my routes for this summer and thought I would ask here for any suggestions. Taking the kids up to see "the four heads" as they call them. Any roads to avoid? Figured on just heading north into Cheyenne and up US 85 to US18 to SD89 to SD385. That's how it looks on a map but wanted to check around for anything to be on the lookout for?

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
We like the route through La Grange over to Scottsbluff and up better. Watch out for Antelope up through there.

Sent from my PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Up through Brush on 76?

No go up through Cheyenne still to 85 turn off at LaGrange East to 71 N, to 26/62 to 395 north. I used to haul hay out of NE back to the Ft Collins area every winter and that is the best route IMO. We go up to the black hills the same way.

cgaskins

We traveled from Hill City, SD (not far from Mount Rushmore) to Estes Park, CO last summer and used the following route:
  • 385 South to Pringle
  • 89 to to US 18
  • US 18 all the way to to Orin at the US 18 & I-25 intersection
  • South on I-25

It was a very easy route - good roads and no issues.

olybldr55

Highly recommend The KOA at 12620 Hwy 244 Hill City. Stayed there as our base camp for six nights last summer. Its about five miles from the Mt Rushmore entrance. KOA there has actives for kids of all ages (pool, horse back riding, snacks bars, movies, etc.) Last year there was an onsite rodeo.
Central location for Hill City, Rapid City, Sturgis, Elsworth AFB, the bad lands, Custer State Park. You need to tour Mt Rushmore during the day and return for he evening program at the amphitheater. Our service men and women are honored. No entrance fee as it's a national monument but parking is $10 and good for in/out for seven day. No shortage of activities in the greater area.

Wind last year destroyed several awnings on RV's and popup canopies. Suggest you only have them out when at the RV. Have fun!

Olybldr
Olympia, WA

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We also went north up I-25 to 85, then east . . . don't remember the rest of the roads to Custer, but I think it was the same route as others have posted.

We stayed at Big Pine Campground in Custer for a week when we went up there and loved it!

http://www.bigpinecampground.com/smaltolarg/photos.html

It was nice being close to town and only about 15 miles from Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse.

Plus, lots of trees and shade throughout the whole park!

SDCampsiteSmall-IMG_0548.jpg SDMtRushmore-IMG_0760.jpg SDCampsite-IMG_0546.jpg

uncledon

Her chauffeur
Watch the wind!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And the hail. Afternoon Tstorms are not uncommon and some bring hail. Had silver dollar sized hail last year the end of July in Custer.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Codive

And the hail. Afternoon Tstorms are not uncommon and some bring hail. Had silver dollar sized hail last year the end of July in Custer.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Softball size two years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

winterton

We liked the Custer campground a lot but we loved the City run park in Spearfish. Beautiful sites and trees plus a fish hatchery/museum. Fairly easy to get into and is close to Rushmore and the other sites. Enjoy