Buying in AZ and paying sales tax again in CA.

Oldelevatorman

We're buying a '17 Newport in Phoenix but will register in CA. Am I going to be double taxed? Pay sales tax on the difference between LM price and trade in. Go to register in CA and pay sales tax on the purchase price. Can't I just pay the CA sales tax? Did anyone have this issue? Thanks, Jim

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Jim
We bought our Yukon Denali in Arazona and had to pay some taxes at the time of purchase. Let say $2500. Then when we brought it home and registered it in California they applied that $2500 to the total amount we needed to pay in California.
So in our case with the car we did not have to pay twice.
I was told by someone that not all DMV clerks know this so you need to make sure and you will need all of your docs to prove what you have already payed if any.
Hope this helps

Jerrod

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
We're buying a '17 Newport in Phoenix but will register in CA. Am I going to be double taxed? Pay sales tax on the difference between LM price and trade in. Go to register in CA and pay sales tax on the purchase price. Can't I just pay the CA sales tax? Did anyone have this issue? Thanks, Jim

I bought my Big Horn in Tucson at La Mesa RV and I paid the Az sales tax of which they then transferred to Calif. When I registered in Calif then I paid the difference between the actual total and what I had already paid in Az.

Check with your dealer in Az and they have to send a form to you that you need to take to Calif DMV showing the sales tax paid and also the value of your purchase. Your finance officer at the dealer should know all of this.

pegmikef

Jim
We bought our Yukon Denali in Arazona and had to pay some taxes at the time of purchase. Let say $2500. Then when we brought it home and registered it in California they applied that $2500 to the total amount we needed to pay in California.
So in our case with the car we did not have to pay twice.
I was told by someone that not all DMV clerks know this so you need to make sure and you will need all of your docs to prove what you have already payed if any.
Hope this helps

Jerrod

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Works the same way in Texas.

SNOKING

If you want all your tax to go to your home state, have them deliver it across the state line in California. I passed on a California sale because they would have gotten just about all of my tax vs Washington. Bought in Oregon where there is no sales tax. Washington got all of my tax money.

Chris

Last edited:

danemayer

Some of this may be governed by sales tax reciprocity agreements between states. In 2010 when we bought our rig in Indiana, there was no reciprocity agreement between Indiana and Texas. We told the dealer we were titling in Texas and they did not collect any sales tax. It was our responsibility to pay the sales tax when filing for the Texas title.

We were lucky that we got home 19 days later. I called the tax office on day 20 and discovered there was a 21 day rule, after which we would have a 10% late payment penalty added to the bill. Saved several hundred dollars by getting there the next day.

Of course things may have changed since 2010. And I've been reading about a tax bill under consideration in Indiana so dealers don't have to collect sales tax.