Buying Wholesale

kbbagshaw

We are looking to buy a new Heartland and I was reading something somewhere in here about getting price from a wholesaler then getting a local dealer to match deal. Spoke with local dealer and was told that if we bought from said wholesaler, no dealer in the state of Texas would honor Heartland warranty. I don't understand why Heartland allows this. If I buy a Ford in Indiana and it's under warranty, the Ford dealers in Texas will honor warranty. Is this the same with any manufacturer of RVs? It would seem to me if the wholesaler has a unfair advantage in selling the RV, Heartland shouldn't allow them to sell their product. If I buy a Heartland in Louisiana from a dealer, will the Texas dealers refuse to service it? If I buy in Dallas, will Houston refuse to service? I know using a local dealer is preferable for many reasons but it seems wrong of the dealers to refuse to back up a warranty on a product they sale.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
We are looking to buy a new Heartland and I was reading something somewhere in here about getting price from a wholesaler then getting a local dealer to match deal. Spoke with local dealer and was told that if we bought from said wholesaler, no dealer in the state of Texas would honor Heartland warranty. I don't understand why Heartland allows this. If I buy a Ford in Indiana and it's under warranty, the Ford dealers in Texas will honor warranty. Is this the same with any manufacturer of RVs? It would seem to me if the wholesaler has a unfair advantage in selling the RV, Heartland shouldn't allow them to sell their product. If I buy a Heartland in Louisiana from a dealer, will the Texas dealers refuse to service it? If I buy in Dallas, will Houston refuse to service? I know using a local dealer is preferable for many reasons but it seems wrong of the dealers to refuse to back up a warranty on a product they sale.

You will find those dealers out there that say they will not offer you service if you don't buy from them but others will. Also, with prior authorization, heartland will allow you to take your unit anywhere to get it repaired or even allow a mobile guy come to you. That is what I do, he is independent and I have had him work on my previous sob and now my BC. Only way I will go now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

danemayer

Manufacturer agreements with Dealers in the RV industry are much weaker than in the auto industry. So some local dealers will try to get a higher price by scaring you.

On the other hand, over the past year or two, many people have found that local dealers in TX have become more willing to match or beat internet pricing to win the business.

Try shopping some other dealers - maybe even a different location of the same chain you visited.

sengli

Its not just happening in texas. We bought ours from a dealer in michigan, and we live in indiana. We tried three times to have our local dealer to and talk to us on our BH purchase, and they just blew us off with a take it or leave it pricing. Seriously there was a $15K difference in the pricing. Now I attempted to contact them on a warranty service, and as soon as they realized we didnt buy from them this time, they were too busy to fit us in thier schedule. We did buy from them in the past, but they dropped the Big horn line.

Last edited:

pegmikef

My Texas dealer beat all of the quotes I had received from so-called wholesalers and I only had to drive ninety miles to pick it up (in West Texas, that is local). I liked it because we got to sit down and carefully go over each of the options we wanted and verify that they were on the order to the factory . . . and upon delivery they verified that everything was there. Remember there is a base price for the model and then all of the options are individually priced and that all of these costs can be negotiated up to a certain point. I ended up about 32 percent below MSRP. When you order thru a local dealer, the dealer has very little skin in the game, because you will give him a deposit and pay the balance upon delivery . . . no floor plan, no lot space, no maintenance (except the PDI perparation and then the actual PDI). I think they are willing to give you a little more latitude because of this and the fact that it is a sure sale.

Garypowell

I don't think I would ever purchase from a dealer who "threatened" me like that. My dad always told me "the best treatment you are going to get is when you are dating!"

kowAlski631

Shop their competition & see what they say. Philosophies differ, but the smart (& successful) dealers know that their repeat customers are a direct result of after the sale satisfaction.

Bardeenm1

We purchased our Elkridge this past spring. I went to the dealer with 2 wholesale prices + the cost of gas to drive to the dealer after some negotiating we were within a few hundred dollars. The extra few hundred $s is well worth not having to drive and deal with an out of state dealer or a local service headache. I would do everything to purchase local and establish a relationship. It is not if you will need service it is WHEN. We have had only minor problems but still items needing to be fixed regardless.

TXTiger

We purchase these vehicles to travel in, not stay within 50 miles of home, so all dealers who sell Heartland should be required to do warranty service. That being said I live in San Diego but purchased my 2012 Cyclone from a dealer in Dallas/Mesquite TX. I went to my local dealer but they were unable to match the price and I was heading east anyway after the purchase so I saved fuel costs. My local dealer has been great with the few warranty issues I have had over the last year in spite of the fact that I did not purchase from them.

tmcran

I have had good luck with Franklin's Big Country RV in Abilene,TX. Bought local and they have been very helpful. I know they will do work on RV'S they have no sold,as per other RV'ers.

pegmikef

I have had good luck with Franklin's Big Country RV in Abilene,TX. Bought local and they have been very helpful. I know they will do work on RV'S they have no sold,as per other RV'ers.

I will second this. We just ordered our 2014 BH 3010RE through Franklin and got a very good and fair price and everything is as advertised, plus they thoroughly went over it, and we had a very thorough PDI. I have since been testing it, took off the basement wall to check for leaks and loose connections and everything is great. I expected this because I bought an Edge M21 from them an few years ago and never had a problem at all. Great dealership.