Bypassing Houston: Sam Houston (8) or Grand Parkway SH-99?

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
I've always taken the Sam Houston Tollway around Houston. Always been good way to go while pulling our BH 3670 to/from US 59 on our way to/from the Coastal Bend.

Staying Sunday night in New Caney, TX at the Lone Star Lakes RV Park. Monday morning we're heading towards our winter home.

Looks like I could hop on the TX-99 tollway and go WAY around Houston (although not that much more mileage) or I could go down I-69, get on the Sam Houston Tollway. Destination US-59 on the SW side of Houston on our way down to Port A.

Anyone have any first hand thoughts on which would be better/worse?

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
99 does not go all the way around. You would need to take beltway. Also 99 is toll tag only no pay and no pay by mail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MCTalley

99 does not go all the way around. You would need to take beltway. Also 99 is toll tag only no pay and no pay by mail

Beltway 8 has some sections where it is toll tag only, as well. If you pass through more than two plazas without a toll tag, you get smacked with toll violations. I found that out the hard way when I took our rig to PPL last summer with our truck that I hadn't registered on the web site yet and planned on buying a tag after dropping the trailer. About $23 per passage. Since I have an account, I managed to get them to waive all but the typical $1.50 per toll admin charge.