Cabinet Door Modification

porthole

Retired
There you go, what I said earlier. The hinge is not the problem. It is the fact that rather than sinking the screws into a predrilled hole in the frame as it should be, they are drilling a blind hole and inserting a plastic drywall type anchor for the screws. Just doesn't have the holding power of a screw straight into the frame. As you said it is also compounded by the supports for the overhead doors, mine were not properly located which caused them to put excessive pressure on the hinge. After I glued in the inserts, and relocated the supports I haven't had any more problems with the overhead doors I've fixed. One more and I'm done.

When European hinges came out they quickly became the rage. Because of the cost ($20+ per door) several manufacturers tried some alternatives. One of them being the plastic inserts, which by the way are not dry wall anchors. There was a learning curve with them and this is by no means Heartland's issue with installation.

These hinges were desgined for sticks and bricks housing not a rolling earthquake of a house.
As to drilling, all 3 holes are done at once, and in a cabinet shop most likely both hinges are drilled at the same time. It is a special jig made for that single purpose.

So it may seem as the plastic insert version doesn't work well. The 5mm screws I linked above may be the answer then.