Calling All Golfers!!!

navyAZ1

Hi All, I need some assistance. I'm wanting to get back into playing golf again, but it's been a very long time since I played. Last round played was in 1986 and at that time I was playing with a 12 handicap. I know my game will not be near what it was back then and I also know the game and equipment has most likely changed some what also. Now that I'm really retired and have a little more time I thought I would get back into the game, I really enjoyed it when I played. So, I guess my question is how do y'all think I should start back? My thought was to go to a local flea market and get with this guy who sells used clubs and such, pick up a few practice balls and start flailing away in the back yard to see if I can get any of my swing back before I head out to a course to attempt a round with real golfers. Any suggestions y'all might have fire at me I would enjoy any and all suggestions.

Thanks,

Ron;)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I would contact a driving range and see if they have any rental clubs available and start with that. If none available, maybe a used 5-iron and a wood to start off with. You could buy a set of used clubs, if you can find them sized for you. I keep telling myself to drag my sticks out of the basement where they've sat for a few years. I played more (two summer leagues) when I was working than after I retired.

Rodbuster

Hi Ron,

Your on the right track. What I would do is ask a friend or neighbor to borrow his clubs a couple or a few times. Tell him what your situation is and what you would like to do. This way, you don't have to lay out "any" money to find out if you can get your swing back. Next, get to a driving range 2 or three times....that will be much better than hitting a few balls in your back yard.

My guess is that if you had a 12 handicap years back, that it won't take too long for you to get back on the course and learn all the new "golf swear words" that have been developed since the last time you played.

Good luck to you.
Dick

CliffP

Hi Ron,

Most of the big box stores (Walmart for one) have used / recycled golf balls that are pretty inexpensive for your back yard practice. Like John says, get a couple of used clubs and hit a driving range. Practice your swing in slow motion and things should come back to you. With your former 12 handicap you should be back into things pretty quickly. When you know your gonna stick with things get some new clubs and have them fitted. Watch the golf channel Monday night at 7:00 EST (the Golf Fix with Michael Breed) and Wednesday night at 7 EST (School of Golf with Martin Hall).

Then just get out and golf, it'll come back.

traveler44

Keep your head steady when you swing and golf with people who are really good at watching where your ball lands. I found balls the cheapest at some of the pawn shops in the area where we stayed this winter. If you play best ball like we did you don't always have to make the best shot but you might be surprised that you sometimes make just the one they need the most.

navyAZ1

Went to the driving range rented some clubs, and attempted to get the feel for my swing again. Seems like it all came back pretty quick, not going to be at a 12 handicap very soon but I don't think I'll make a fool of myself out on the course. I found a nice set of used clubs on ebay, it is a complete set of Titleist irons with a Snake eyes putter, and a #1, #5, & #7 woods. Still practicing at home right now hope to hit a course soon. Plan to bring my "new to me" clubs with me on the trip to Gillette, maybe I'll get a chance to play once or twice on the trip? Thanks for everyone's advice and help.

Ron

rick_debbie_gallant

Take a camera. you dont even have to send in a tape to FHV anymore, you can send your video from your computer now!!!. I am sure you would take at least third place. I am surprised you did not hit any balls from the fantail while out at sea!

navyAZ1

Take a camera. you dont even have to send in a tape to FHV anymore, you can send your video from your computer now!!!. I am sure you would take at least third place. I am surprised you did not hit any balls from the fantail while out at sea!

Oh Yeah! Many balls hit from the fantail, sometimes we got to shoot from the flight deck when we were doing a "safety stand down", my time in the Navy was when I did most of my playing, when I was stationed in southern CA there were tons of public golf courses and every military base had them also.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Last time I played golf I spent so much time in the woods and water I went home with two trophies...A 5 lbs Bass and a Ten point buck:eek:....Sorry, old joke.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I took up Golf last year after putting the clubs away back in 86 when my youngest was born ... back then I could crush the ball... and to my amazement I could still hit the driver around 300 yards, the only difference is that Now, it's 100 yards down range and 200 yards to the Right...

I still had a great time playing, regardless of how bad I now play ... so I say not to worry about how well you play but how you play well and often!!! Just HAVE FUN!!!

Kevin

Netem

Thats one to remember Dave. I always tell everyone I play golf like I hunt In the woods:D No sunburn that way

danemayer

to my amazement I could still hit the driver around 300 yards, the only difference is that Now, it's 100 yards down range and 200 yards to the Right...
Kevin, you must be right-handed. I'm left-handed and I can do the same thing to the left. I've even had balls fly across the fairway to my left, onto a 3rd fairway. Fortunately, a Pro at the practice range showed me a grip change to get the ball to go straighter.

Birchwood

My advice would be to go to a driving range and hit a few with maybe a borrowed driver and iron.If you
feel good about your performance do a round at a quiet par three with rented clubs.If you feel even better about
your comeback go purchase a set of decent new or used clubs and then continue with your play.
I have been retired for three years and golf is my thing when we live in Florida for 6 months.We park
our rig at the RV and Golf resort and play at least 4 times per week all winter long.Your become friends
with many fellow golfers in a short period.I will never have a 12 handicap but will have a wonderful time
trying.Good luck with your comeback!