Campground length calculations

windviewer

Do people include just the length of the trailer or the length of trailer connected to TV when you indicate to a campground the 'length' of your rig?
Similiar for searching campgrounds when they ask for length. Total length of TV + trailer, or trailer length?

MCTalley

Typically just trailer length. With that being said, sometimes you will see on the campground's website that their sites are xx feet long, or up to xx feet long. However, whenever we've called for reservations, they'll ask the "length of the rig" which in the case of a trailer (bumper pull or fifth wheel) is the length of the trailer once unhitched.

Grey Ghost

Normally, only the length of your trailer, I don't think I've ever been asked to give the length of my 5ver and my TV in total. I think everyone else has stated trailer only also.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Sometimes I will tell them (campground) my total connected length so they will put me in a site big enough to accommodate both the rig and truck.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I admit, I fudge ours and say 40' when it's really 37'. :angel: I'd rather have too much than not enough.

MCTalley

Actually, we all fudge just a bit. Ours is listed on the website as 41' 11", so I just tell the campground 42'. However, that measurement is from the pin to the back of the "bumper" (the back cap). In actuality, the front cap and rear ladder add to the length. I've measured it from tip of front cap to ladder at right around 44'.

dewwood

Most places just need your trailer length but a few national parks stipulate total overall length including the tow vehicle.

Westwind

I've always been asked the length (ours is 34.5), I always say 38 hoping they won't stick me in some site that we end up hanging out the front or back. So far it's worked.

GregP

It is a good idea to know the total length of the tow vehicle and trailer combination when hooked up. If you ever take your rig on a ferry, they generally charge by total length. If you are making reservations on line or by phone, they will ask for your length and charge your card accordingly. At the time of boarding, they will take an actual measurement, and charge you for the extra if you have under-estimated, but they (in my experience) won't credit you if you are less than your actual length. We now know the exact length of our towed combination. At campgrounds, we give only the trailer length.

windviewer

thats a good point on knowing the overall length for ferries. i guess part of the problem is the way the camp websites ask the question. if they jusy 'rig length' i will use the trailer size. if they Re more specific, i will provide that information. thanks to all who responded.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
When we lived in Michigan . . . I guess the ferry measurement was important.

Out here in the western US of A . . . not so important!

Out here they charge by the axle (toll roads)!

Bones

When we lived in Michigan . . . I guess the ferry measurement was important.

Out here in the western US of A . . . not so important!

Out here they charge by the axle (toll roads)!
70/76 cost us 31 bucks. I think it is highway robbery