Campgrounds near Dallas

TXTiger

I live in So Calif. Going to Dallas TX this weekend to look at a new rig. If I pull the trigger and make the purchase this will be my first RV. I would like to stay a couple of nights to shake down any defects that need to be repaired by the dealer that I may miss during my PDI. I want to return the rig to the dealer for the repairs before I leave the area and return home. Anybody got any recommendations on campgrounds in the Dallas/Ft Worth TX area for a short stay?

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
It would be really handy if the dealer could accomodate you staying on their lot, is that a possibility?
You might also try rvparkreviews.com

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
It depends on which dealer you are visiting, but Dallas, the city, doesn't have RV parks. You will probably need to look at the suburbs/outlying areas.

If you are going to the Mesquite (Dallas) location, the nearest (and nice) RV park will be The KOA in Caddo Mills, TX.

If you have more dealerships you are considering, let me know! Would love to help if I can.

Erika

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wrgrs50s

Hi Two Toes, about 20 miles east of Dallas is a park called Bluebonnet Ridge RV Park in Terrell, Tx. I've stayed there a number of times. There's restraunts, Tanger Outlet Mall, movie theatre, all nearby in this small town.
If your wanting something more outdoors try Cedar Hill State Park. It's on Joe Pool Lake in Cedar Hill. They have a section with full hook ups and all paved RV sites.
Either place would be good for a trial campout.
The website for Bluebonnet is www.bluebonnetrv.com and you can google Texas Parks and Wildlife to check out the Cedar Hill State Park. In fact I am leaving for the Cedar Hill State park in the morning to stay through Mother's day.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
If you would give us the location of the trailer we could help you much easier. Dallas/Fort Worth is a large area and there are some good campgrounds, but if you would rather not travel through the DFW traffic give a better location.

We use to live in Rowlett, NE of Dallas. We stay in Melissa North of Dallas off Hwy 75 and there is the Lighthouse RV park just off exit 45.

BC

TravelTiger

Oh yes, Bluebonnet RV Park is very nice, too (very near where we live, in fact!). Cedar Hill State Park (south of Dallas) is nice also, a lot farther from Mesquite, and nearly all back-ins. I wouldn't recommend it for a first-time RVer to try to get in. Although you can make reservations at Texas State Parks, you cannot reserve a specific site, and it's first come, first served... Many of the sites are much smaller than I'd even attempt in our 37' ElkRidge.

If you traverse the Metroplex in any way, expect heavy, not-rv-friendly traffic.... That's why I recommended the outlying areas. The KOA in Caddo Mills is 34 miles east, Bluebonnet RV Park in Terrell is 27 miles east.

I thought the KOA was closer, but Google Maps says no.

Send me a PM if you'd like some more assistance. East of Dallas is our 'stomping ground'.

Erika

TXTiger

Thanks everyone for all your help. I am going to Explore USA in Mesquite to look at a new Cyclone 4014. My credit is already approved and I installed a new Reese 5th wheel hitch in my Ford F-350 tonight. If the rig looks good I should be sleeping in it next Monday night!!! I asked the dealer if I could stay on the lot but was told no due to insurance rules. I have never pulled anything more than a boat trailer so I want to start out with a pull thru campsite till I can practice and get better at backing in (hello Wal Mart parking lot). I will check out the KOA mentioned and Bluebonnet. Ceder Hill State Park doesn't like it would work for me with not pull thru sites. I hope to stay one or two nights to iron out any problems, return to dealer if necessary, and then be in Omaha by the following weekend to visit my son and show him my new truck and toyhauler!!!

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I second Plantation for your needs...we've stayed there when working...worked well since we weren't looking for amenities, you won't be either.

TravelTiger

Oh ya, I forgot about them! They are probably the closest to Explore USA. We haven't been out there.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
The Plantation is an unusual place. Behind a large Plantation style house. No one to take your money, you just fill out an envelope and go find a spot.

This was not one of my favorite places, but if you can get in it would probably be the closest one. We use to live in Rowlett until 2007 when we went full time and are familiar many of the parks in the Metroplex. Went to rallys at RV Ranch south of FW & Joe pool lake and stayed at a few others like Traders Village in Grand Prairie, The Vineyard in Grapevine, Lighthouse in Melissa.

BC

TravelTiger

Well, on a whim we were out near ExploreUSA in Mesquite today. Decided to stop in and look at their Landmarks. We were impressed with the General Manager, he showed us around and seemed to be a real straight-shooter.

Good luck with your purchase! Give us a holler if we can help.

E