Camping on NYE in cold weather.....

We are planning on heading up US 64 next Sunday for First Night Williamsburg. Highs look to be high 40's lows around 32...my question is will there be issues of freezing with grey/black tanks, city water and such. We have a heater in the camper that worls great along with the furnace. It will be our first road trip on the highway...not a real concern, I feel very comfort with or 28BRS....It will be sunny too so it does not seem like there will be issues...thanks for input.

danemayer

Looking at the Heartland site, it says the NT 28brs has a heated, enclosed underbelly. If yours does, and you run the furnace at a normal temp and outside temps don't go much below freezing, you should be ok. On the other hand, if you turn the thermostat down to 55 to save propane, you won't be pumping much warm air into the underbelly and you won't have as much protection.

Keep in mind that weather reports are usually for an airport or other location. Your location could get warmer or cooler.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
You should be fine. If you are using the fresh water connection with a hose, disconnect the hose at night and curl it up in your shower. Run off the fresh tank overnight. The next morning, hook the hose back up again. That way you don't have to worry about the hose freezing up overnight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the imput...I think we will be ok..we will use a combo of furnace and vornado heater we have..DW does not wanna go unless we camp.. I need practicew on highway with 45-50 minutes trip

gebills

The curling up of the water supply hose in the night time that boatto5er mentioned is not a bad idea. We towed back to southern Iowa in late Sept/early Oct this year and initially had some great weather. One day hit 80-degrees. We were in heaven. Several days later, the temps dropped with the cold air coming across the lake, and not absolutely certain what the night time low was, but I got up at about 7AM to 27 degrees F. Went to the galley to run water for coffee,,,,,,, and there was none....... Went outside to figure out what was happening, and low and behold,,,,, the supply hose between the hydrant and the RV was full and frozen. I quickly spun off the hose connection and found the hydrant itself as also froze. Went to the UDC and flipped the water supply to the 5er water tank, went inside and turned on the water pump for coffee. Everything was fine with the pump and RV supply tank. If I would have had my witts about me, I would have measured the water temp coming out of the RV tank up through the faucet, but I didn't.

I checked the basement temp (we have a temp sensor in the basement) and it said 48 degrees. Bare in mind that the sensor is mounted on the front of the basement wall. During that night, I had the fireplace on low, a small electric running on low and the furnace set at 69 degrees for makeup.

Next move was to put the supply hose inside the RV basement for a couple hours to let it thaw; and by that time, the outdoor park hydrant had also thawed. The bottom line here (if there is one), is that the first thing that froze was the supply hose to the RV. And since I had pressure in the hydrant, the head also froze. Had it been shut off and the hose disconnected, there shouldn't have been a problem there either in so much as the shutoff is beneath the ground.

I suspect that boatto5er is right about the night time issue; disconnect your hose, put it in your basement, and run off the RV's water tank and pump during the coldest part of your day (night time). Good luck,,,,, gebills.

Thats great advice...fill up fresh water when we arrive...and store hose at night...fresh water tank should be good with running furnace... we just wanna have a fun New years Eve...but we want to do it in our North trail..we love camping in our TT

hoefler

Or, you cold let the water run at a little more than a trickle. We are currently living in our coach, and have a 200' run for water. Have seen temps down to 20* with out loosing water.

Here in Virginia, I used to not winterize my boat and i never did any damage to water system or the engine. I guess i worry more about the water facet freezing and not the lines in my water system. We will run the furnace along with our Vornado heater (which does a great job heating the trailer)

boatto5er

Or, you cold let the water run at a little more than a trickle. We are currently living in our coach, and have a 200' run for water. Have seen temps down to 20* with out loosing water.

This works too - just make sure you have the grey water valves open just in case the tanks fill up.

boatto5er

According to information in the North Trail brochure, the NT has "Forced Air Heated & Enclosed Underbelly".

danemayer

The Heartland website shows that 2013 North Trails have sealed and heated underbelly.

I'm not 100% certain, but if your 2011 North Trail has a sealed underbelly, it probably also has a furnace duct going into the underbelly.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Our 2008 NorthTrail had a heated sealed underbelly. But we did not open the underbelly to see where it was heated. Most likely a duct off the furnace goes down there.

berky

Where do I look to see if my tt has a heated underbelly? Thanks

and Merry Christmas!
Out 2012 NT 26LRSS definitely has a heated underbelly. I removed the interior panel covering the furnace compartment, and found a 2" duct running from the furnace plenum directly to the floor ... and so into the underbelly.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We camped in Ruidoso NM during Christmas, were temps were in the low 30s upper 20s at night. Granted, our NT 21FBS was much smaller, but we didn't have any issues just using the furnace and a small forced-air heater to supplement inside. We ran off the fresh tank. Filled it up during the day as temps were above freezing.

We even got snow overnight!

Last edited: