Camping stuff to help a newbie

Larry77

Also helps to go with a friend who is an RV pro like we did a couple weeks ago. We got a ton of ideas and some supplies that we didn't have yet they did.

As we are new to camping, only been out twice in our North Trail 21, these ideas will be of great value to us. Thanks for all these ideas and starting this thread.

dieselsweetheart

Those walkie-talkies are very important to have... for when DH needs to back into a site, the DW helps navigate by talking to DH on a walkie-talkie. Of course, that's after DW gets out, moves the picnic table by herself, assesses the site for trees, water, sewer and electric connections (to make sure DH parks in the proper position).

dieselengineer

Charter Member
yeah, DH is also busy while DW is assessing the site. There is the task of adjusting the radio so he can only hear a few of the many words DW is shouting into the radio. Adjusting the a/c to maintain the correct environment within the cab, etc.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Nope, nope, nope. These guys have got it all wrong (except for the 12-pack). What you absolutely must have is a credit card with a high limit on it. Everytime you turn around you'll be finding some other gidget or doo-dad accessory you just gotta have. I thought I had everything I needed, but just went and ordered an Oxygenics shower head and some screw jacks. I read an article about a Banks SpeedBrake gizmo for my truck, and I could feel my wallet trying to sneak out of my pocket, the credit card singing it's Siren Song...."swipe me, swipe me..."

So, to summarize, what you really need is a money tree.

JohnDar...know exactly what you mean...that dang wallet...we saw the Trailair Level-Up and Centerpoint...it was out of the pocket in a flash!!!! Gonna have to lock it up and throw away the key...at least until we find the next great RV gizmo...:eek:

trvlrerik

I am pretty new myself, it seems that every trip out we get heavier and heavier. On this trip we made the moon shot look like a spur of the moment weekend project.

The advice you read on this forum is worth more than you will ever know (at least for me). I had to set my priorities or I would be over 18k.

LookN4Ward

What is you color coding?

I used color coding to track if I bought it new, used, or if it came from around home. We hit a lot of garage sales and thrift stores for some items. If I bought new items I tracked them with a different color, Dollar Stores have lots of kitchen and bath items. We used discount stores and home centers for many of the items. I crossed off items as we collected them with an "x".

My wife and I are going to spend winters in Texas so our list has some items others might not. We needed a good mattress and ordered the trailer without one. A local mattress company will make a custom pillow top mattresses for $100 more than the regular price.

2010augusta

My wife and I are going to spend winters in Texas so our list has some items others might not.

Ahh, thanks. We are doing things backward, We spend a good part of the winter season in Colorado, and now we are in South Texas for the two hottest months of the year, July and August. But we have to go where the work is, and being able to full-time is worth it.

We are still looking for a good custom pillow top at a good price. We hate the sleep number type beds and do not care for the memory foam stuff, it starts to create "holes" that we sink into and can't get out of.

bowser66

What part of Texas are you going to spend the winter in? My wife and I just bought a new 2009 Lamdmark Oakmont and we also spend our winters in Texas. We have a lot at Gulf Waters RV Resort in Port Aransas, Texas and we absolutely love it down there.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Ahh, thanks. We are doing things backward, We spend a good part of the winter season in Colorado, and now we are in South Texas for the two hottest months of the year, July and August. But we have to go where the work is, and being able to full-time is worth it.

We are still looking for a good custom pillow top at a good price. We hate the sleep number type beds and do not care for the memory foam stuff, it starts to create "holes" that we sink into and can't get out of.

If you really want to bust your weight limit, get a Tempur-Pedic. We've got one in the house (queen) and just the mattress weighs a ton. The lower unit is almost as heavy. But it sure is comfy. TP recommends having their lower support box under the mattress, but I think you could get away without it. FWIW, though, we actually like the mattress that came with our 3670. We did replace the pillows, though.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We hate the sleep number type beds and do not care for the memory foam stuff, it starts to create "holes" that we sink into and can't get out of.
I have a silly question. Why do you hate the sleep number beds? We've had ours for a little over a year and really like it. I agree on the memory foam. Been there once, that was enough. Maybe the quality wasn't like the "original", ours was a custom sized Verlo.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
What part of Texas are you going to spend the winter in? My wife and I just bought a new 2009 Lamdmark Oakmont and we also spend our winters in Texas. We have a lot at Gulf Waters RV Resort in Port Aransas, Texas and we absolutely love it down there.
We've spent the last 3 winters in Corpus Christi/Flour Bluff. Love the area also. We're currently waiting to interview with a park in Indio, CA for a workcamping position.

2010augusta

We don't like the hard center divider and the edges. It makes it hard to snuggle and hard to hog the entire bed when the other is not in the room;)

LookN4Ward

We will be in McAllen, Tx. We bought an RV Lot in Paradise Park.