Can-Am RT in the 4200?

denviola

Couple three replies in one.
The Can-Am is much easier to handle with power steering, anti-lock, etc. I had a small stroke in 2009 and while I could still ride my Ultra Classic, was not willing to take the wife
due to some numbness and minor balance issues.
The superclamp works nice.
The back wheel slips easily in reverse when wet. Found that out storing in my shed before I sold the UC. Backing in is an option but I think I can make enough room forward.

Cjackg

Yes, the CanAm does have reverse. As for choice we have both. The wife likes the CanAm better both as rider and passenger. I like the bike better. But since there are two of us, it's fun to have one of each. Keeps it interesting. To the OP, no thoughts on backing it in?
Here's my Can-Am RT finally loaded in the 3110 garage. 10' garage is a little tight but it works!
I tried backing it in but that gets kinda hairy... might be ok with an ATV but not with a rear wheel drive bike.
RT-in-3110.JPG RT-3110-02.JPG

denviola

Nice RT Limited in Lava Bronze! I have the same, bought new 2012. I see lots of LEDs and aftermarket exhaust.
Pics lead to a new question, can the hatch door support vehicle weight? I see you are just off the hatch door.

Cjackg

Nice RT Limited in Lava Bronze! I have the same, bought new 2012. I see lots of LEDs and aftermarket exhaust.
Pics lead to a new question, can the hatch door support vehicle weight? I see you are just off the hatch door.
The hatch door and especially its frame seem plenty strong. The weight of the Spyder is pretty evenly distributed and not likely to stress anything this sturdy.
I am working on tie-downs now and will post some pics later...

remoandiris

can the hatch door support vehicle weight? I see you are just off the hatch door.

Probably not a lot of weight bearing down on the rear wheel, relatively speaking.

If I ever decide to get rid of my 1988 GoldWing, I will strongly consider a Spyder along with a GL1800.

jeffdee

I have a golf cart I load in and out of my garage. The right front and rear tires passed over the hatch door. The hatch door and door frame will flex under that weight. The frame is mounted to the floor with short wood screws. After two camping trips all the screws were pulling out. I had to drill through to the inner metal frame and install stainless bolts with nylock nuts. The door no longer flexes. The bolts are secure.

taken

If you think that's tight, you should see my 10 garage with a Spyder RTS-SE on one side and my Road King on the other. Gives my wife a bit of a pucker to see it but nothing rubs...

Cjackg

That sounds like a lot of weight on the back end of the trailer... bet your pin weight is way down when you are fully loaded...

What are you using for tiedowns on the RTS ?

taken

That sounds like a lot of weight on the back end of the trailer... bet your pin weight is way down when you are fully loaded...

What are you using for tiedowns on the RTS ?

Close to 3k pin weight with the garage empty so my truck appreciates the break when I lighten it up a bit, LOL. Garage is rated to take 2k and I'm right around that. I just use ratchet straps through the front and rear wheels to secure the Spyder.