Can F250 6.7l Diesel tow 16000 GW?

jdamude

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Big Country 4010RD. It's GW is 16,000 lbs. Of course the sales guy says that a 2016 F250 6.7l diesel will tow it fine, but the listed tow weight for that is 15,100 lbs. I was planning on putting Firestone bags on back to help level it out.

What say you guys?

We purchased the identical unit you are looking at. We tow ours with a F450, works great, stops great. This is a little too much trailer for a single rear wheel pick up of any make.

Crumgater

I think payload capacity will be the main factor.

That... and at some time you're going to want to STOP the RV...

We found our 1995 F250 pulled our Elkridge just fine - and was WELL within ratings for both towing and payload... it just had a really HARD time stopping the thing on wet pavement. After running a few red lights in the rain, we traded up to a 2008 F350 (SRW)... it is SO much nicer... less stress when driving, and we love the "new" bells & whistles, too (backup camera, built in trailer brake, etc.). :)

MTPockets

Every time I have checked the tow rating the DRW was LOWER than the SRW because of the extra weight of the DRW rear Axles. So to me the stability issue was more important.
I mentioned payload capacity... You could be correct on tow capacity of same axle ratio, but payload capacity is the first thing to look at.

JanAndBill

I mentioned payload capacity... You could be correct on tow capacity of same axle ratio, but payload capacity is the first thing to look at.

Sorry but you are still incorrect. The F350 dual rear wheels carries over twice the "payload" of a F250. Now if you're talking about the F350 Single Rear Wheel they are much closer in capacity, but the F350 is still rated higher. The link below will take you to the payload page of Ford.

http://www.ford.com/trucks/superduty/specifications/payload/

DW_Gray

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Big Country 4010RD. It's GW is 16,000 lbs. Of course the sales guy says that a 2016 F250 6.7l diesel will tow it fine, but the listed tow weight for that is 15,100 lbs. I was planning on putting Firestone bags on back to help level it out.

What say you guys?

Sure, it will tow it. But the real question that must be answered is "Will you be able to tow it without exceeding your truck's weight safety ratings?"

You can answer that question by knowing your truck's realistic vehicle towing capacity by using the RV Tow Check App.

Additionally, here a couple of pages to read:

My Truck Pulls It Just Fine!

The Basics: What do I Need to Tow it?

Late add: Oh, and one other thing about air bags:
firestone-ride-rite_fifth-wheel-street.jpg

Last edited:

IronJ

Well I have both. ..a 250srw (with the 350 axle/springs/air bags. .)....as well as a 350dwr tow boss...bags as well

Now my trailer is a rw 420 toy hauler (aka HEAVY)..

HONESTLY I've towed on the 250/350 hybrid many times on short local trips...stability never an issue...it does NOT stop near as well as the 350drw. ..and the 3.55 axle does make the engine scream on long steep Hills. ....

I could tow with it all day and feel "ok"...but that's just me...

Now the 350 is a diff beast. ..she is huge and soaks up bumps better, holds more fuel, is more stable, and stops better ......

My trailer is usually 17,600 lbs loaded light with nothing in garage...the King pin is WAY over the payload of the poor f250 door sticker. ..2150lbs

The 350 has a payload of 5750....

So heck yeah it will pull it...but it's nowhere near as safe (legal) or fun as with a 350drw tow boss!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk