Can i disconnect batteries while hooked to shore power?

Kristin44

I bought a 2016 Heartland Bighorn 3585RL in February, still learning all i can about it!... I am trying to find the cause of my higher than normal (compared to neighbors) electric bills.
Can I disconnect the batteries while on shore power? We aren't moving for at least 3 months, so charging them is not something I am worried about.
Thank you!
Kristin20230524_125344.jpg20230524_125350.jpg

wdk450

If you don't want to charge the batteries turn off the converter/charger AC circuit breaker.

On Edit: If you turn off the battery charger and disconnect the batteries, interior lights and your propane/electric RV refrigerator won't work because the refrigerator master logic control circuit board is powered by 12 Volt DC battery/charger power.

Last edited:

Kristin44

Why would you want to disconnect the batteries?
Because I think the batteries need to be replaced. I read that if they are not holding a charge like they are supposed to it could be what is making my bill so high.
I will replace them but wanted to disconnect and check my pole meter to see if that is the problem.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know if you are comparing apples to apples by judging your use electric usage to your neighbors.
Neighbor might be running the refrigerator and water heater on propane rather than electric.
Everyones usage is different.
Just a thought.

Peace
Dave

david-steph2018

Because I think the batteries need to be replaced. I read that if they are not holding a charge like they are supposed to it could be what is making my bill so high.
I will replace them but wanted to disconnect and check my pole meter to see if that is the problem.
Pull the batteries and take these to AutoZone, or similar place, have the batteries load tested.
What appliances are you running on electric?

Here is some reading for batteries:

The information below is old, but it will give you an ideal of how much power, you would be using:

Attachments

• 20230601_062412[2609].jpg
    20230601_062412[2609].jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11

Gary521

I get those notices from the utility company saying my bill is higher than my neighbor's too. I quickly fold it up and place it in the trash. Your battery charger is NOT pulling a lot of amps as someone has already stated. FORGETABOUTIT

Kristin44

Pull the batteries and take these to AutoZone, or similar place, have the batteries load tested.
What appliances are you running on electric?

Here is some reading for batteries:

The information below is old, but it will give you an ideal of how much power, you would be using:
I have a washer/dryer, dishwasher, ac, water heater...

Do I turn that battery disconnect switch before I disconnect the batteries?
Will everything still work in the 5th wheel?

Thank you for all of the info!

david-steph2018

I have a washer/dryer, dishwasher, ac, water heater...

Do I turn that battery disconnect switch before I disconnect the batteries?
Will everything still work in the 5th wheel?

Thank you for all of the info!
As a precaution, I would. But I have disconnected numerous batteries without a disconnect switch. Before you disconnect anything, take pictures so you know how to hook these back up.

david-steph2018

Matts Embrace,
I leave our battery disconnect on all the time. We are full time, so it does not go into storage. But when it did, I turned off both batteries disconnect switches. When you turn the battery disconnect off for storage, go inside and make sure everything is off. I am talking about the radio, LP detector, and other 12 VDC equipment.
If you have a backup camera, after you turn off the disconnect, look and make sure the indicator light is off. My backup camera is wired directly to the batteries, so the first time, I did not catch this issue.

Also, if you turn off the battery disconnect and you lose shore power, your frig will not turn to LP because you will not have any 12VDC available.

2019_V22

Get a hardwired surge protector in either 30, or 50 Amp, with the wired remote display. It will display the shore voltage avail to the camper, the amps you are using, line frequency, IE: 60H, and fault codes. It can be bypassed from the remote, there are no dog bone units outside, just plug in your shore cord to the outlet. I absolutely love mine.https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-hw30c

Surge_Protect (12).JPG

centerline

yes... if you dont use an inverter the batteries can be disconnected at ANY time.... while the rv is plugged into shore power, the converter will take care of the DC loads....
ALL you need to do is remove the wires from the NEG posts, as this will break the circuit while leaving no wires loose that may backfeed power from the converter and short out.....if using the master switch, one cant always rely on it to disconnect ALL circuits from the batteries.....

what type of fridge do you have?.....

Kristin44

Go out and read both meters and compare usage yourself?
Yes, I did compare 3 that are right by mine and similar size. I read that if my batteries are not holding a charge like they are supposed to it could be the cause of my higher bills. I just wanted to disconnect them and check the meters again after a day or two to just see if there was any noticeable change.
I do plan to replace them, just was not in a rush to do it.

Kristin44

yes... if you dont use an inverter the batteries can be disconnected at ANY time.... while the rv is plugged into shore power, the converter will take care of the DC loads....
ALL you need to do is remove the wires from the NEG posts, as this will break the circuit while leaving no wires loose that may backfeed power from the converter and short out.....if using the master switch, one cant always rely on it to disconnect ALL circuits from the batteries.....

what type of fridge do you have?.....

wdk450

If your batteries are truly consuming power, but not charging, monitor them for heating up - That charger energy has to go somewhere. If the batteries are heating up ( another argument to have an IR pistol type thermometer with a laser aiming beam in the trailer - batteries, tires, air conditioning, cooking, etc.) they are probably on their way out.
I had one of my batteries explode in its battery box that I didn't expect/foresee.
My truck has temperature sensors on the battery tray under the batteries that the computer reads to set the charging rate by the alternator.

centerline

It's a Norcold, the one with double doors on top and bottom.
make sure its set to either AC, or automatic.... because if your fridge has the "battery/12v" option, and if you happen to be running it in this mode, its a very power hungry mode that is intended for short term special purpose use, such as when you NEED to have the fridge RUNNING as you are driving thru a tunnel or being transported on a ferry... as during these times, the law wants the propane shut off completely, at the tank......