Can this be fixed economically?

Ladiver

OK, I get the dumba$$ of the day award! I just picked up my Cyclone from the shop, getting the rear awning LED fixed (finally!). They did a great job. I picked it up after work and really hate having the trailer sit on the street overnight. I have RV parking on the side of the house. I told the wife that we would put it away when I got home, trying to beat the dark. Well, I get home and she is in the shower. No prob. I have been practicing backing into a loading dock (for my noncommercial class A) and have it down quite well. I can do this alone. :confused:

Well, all was going quite great until....I heard what sounded like I ran over a plastic bucket. I had been in and out of the truck multiple times to check clearance and obstructions. I never remembered a bucket being in the way. I get out and walk around. Nope, no bucket. But there was a nice dent and scratch on the awning frame! Yes, the awning that has never work and was finally fixed a few hours earlier.:mad: How in the heck did I clip the wall????? Oh well. I pulled out and parked on the street. I guess I should not try backing into the spot alone again.

I am pretty sure the awning will still work fine, but aesthetically I hate it. Every time I walk by it, I will be reminded of my stupid mistake. I was so mad at myself, I walked inside and wife had dinner ready. I sat down and ate it. I tried not being a downer and really did not want to ruin her evening. So, she still does not know about it. I am sure she will see it this morning while she is outside working. I will deal with that call later.

Does anyone know if the main post that is attached to the trailer can be replaced without replacing the entire awning? This is a Carefree Travel'r, I think.

IMAG0408.jpgIMAG0410.jpg

Thanks,

Jeff

Lynn1130

I would call the company and see if that part is available and at a reasonable price. The R&R should not be that big a deal if the part is available.

DW_Gray

Any competent metal worker could fix that to look like new. I used to fix soldier's mishaps in the Army before the Company Commander came to see the damage, only to find nothing wrong.

ramdually4100king

Take a 2' piece of 2x4 and lay the long edge against the dent on the inside. Then take a rubber mallet ad hit the 2x4 on the front edge. The dent should pop out with a little finesse. Then a little gloss black paint and as long as you don't look too close no one will notice... I hope.

Good luck.

Ladiver

That will be the first attempt. I just want to make sure I have a backup plan. I have done some a few too many bone head moves in the past two weeks. I think I need to spend a week or so underwater, somewhere warm.

Plus, if I come home with tickets to a tropical vacation I think Sonja will conveniently not care about the dent. :cool:

Take a 2' piece of 2x4 and lay the long edge against the dent on the inside. Then take a rubber mallet ad hit the 2x4 on the front edge. The dent should pop out with a little finesse. Then a little gloss black paint and as long as you don't look too close no one will notice... I hope.

Good luck.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
That will be the first attempt. I just want to make sure I have a backup plan. I have done some a few too many bone head moves in the past two weeks. I think I need to spend a week or so underwater, somewhere warm.

Plus, if I come home with tickets to a tropical vacation I think Sonja will conveniently not care about the dent. :cool:

Might be cheaper to replace the whole awning ;).

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
I do believe the awning parts are sold separartely call manufacture of your awning. Look on web for exploded diagram of your awning and verify what you need.

Ladiver

I spoke with Carefree and they said I must purchase the entire arm assembly. The cost is around $400 + tax and shipping! Ugh. I hope the 2x4 and spray paint works well enough. I would have thought that the single piece would have been available. Oh well.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Jeff,
It may be a longshot, but you might try calling a few RV repair shops. During my travels, I have seen a few trashed awnings laying around in their junk piles. Trace

Ladiver

Trace and priorguy,

I think that will be the way I go. I just need to call around and see if I can find an RV wrecking yard or a repair place that will not charge me the same as new!

I am going home to try tapping it out first. Also need to pick up some black spray paint.

Thanks,

Jeff

priorguy

Tapping it won't cost anything but your own time. A shaker can of gloss black will be around $5 so it is definitely worth a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

Jeff,
It may be a longshot, but you might try calling a few RV repair shops. During my travels, I have seen a few trashed awnings laying around in their junk piles. Trace

RV Dr. George here in Sacramento maintains a large warehouse and storage area of used RV parts. You might try calling them at 916-927-7837 (Closed Sundays and Mondays). Webpage here: http://www.rvdoctorgeorge.com/parts

Ladiver

Well, I tried and was not too successful. The problem I had was the awning just is not very sturdy to begin with. I have no experience fixing this kind of thing, so I may call a body shop first. Second will be look for scrap parts and third would be to replace the arm. Besides the cost of the arm, most places have said one hour labor. That is fair.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Jeff