Can we use detergent in our BIGHORN tanks?

Mrz

Below is a message I read on another forum from another RV manufacturer and it concerns me because I use Dawn in my tanks all of the time. Is this something we need to be concerned about?

We called Ameri-Kart the manufacture of our polyethylene tanks. They said that the dishwater soap has something in it that will break down the polyethylene tanks and make them crack. They did not have a recommendation of what you should use to wash your dishes and suggested we call the manufacture of our trailer for recommendations. Sounds like we've got our very own time bombs.

danemayer

Before you get excited about what you read, how about calling them yourself for firsthand information. You might have read something from a person who is what is affectionately called an Internet Troll.

rblack22

Hmmm, I usually squirt a good amount down the toilet with new water after I dump the black tank, and then leave it in as I drive around until the next trip. Loosens up some sludge, good to know. Might have to try something different now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pegmikef

Hogwash, polyethylene is a fairly inert plastic. Dawn is not going to attack it.

We have used several different types over the last four plus years and 43,000 miles and all my tanks are still in tact. I have never heard of any tanks breaking because of the chemicals or detergents used in them, freezing yes, detergents no. Maybe the writer of the info smokes those funny cigarettes.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Been using Dawn in our's since Day 1 without a problem. Besides, by the time it gets to the tank, it's been well diluted.

CDN

B and B
I use Dawn, fabric softener, inexpensive laundry detergent, pine sol. I use Camco older treatment too. I even dumped left over sauerkraut tonight! We are boondocking for a week and did dump black tank yesterday! I could see dumping alkaline or acid use for some toilet cleaners causing issues with seals but never the tank.

Gary521

Not sure if the clear bottle to hold some liquid detergents is made from polyethylene (PE) but I do know a lot of liquid detergents come in PE bottles. I think the initial story comes under the heading of "fake news".

szewczyk_john

Most likely written by someone who has stock or other interest in the company that makes the tanks. I have been using the god method of tank holding since the trailer was new and have had no issues what so ever.

Gary521

Just checked under my kitchen sink. Picked up a bottle of Dawn and turned it over. It has a stamp on the bottom that says HDPE ( High Density Polyethylene ). This is the same stuff the holding tanks are made from. Must be a conspiracy.

Tree14

Hmmm, I usually squirt a good amount down the toilet with new water after I dump the black tank, and then leave it in as I drive around until the next trip. Loosens up some sludge, good to know. Might have to try something different now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How much clean water do you put in your tanks to swish around?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk