Can't get SAT signal in new Big Country

navyAZ1

I can't seem to get a satellite signal no matter what I try, plus when I turn on the TV and choose the input for the satellite the Directv menu picture is not the normal blue background with white letters but rather it is all in blacks and grays with vertical lines in it. As far as the picture Directv tech says it is a problem with the video feed and that possibly my RCA cables are bad, as to the not being able to find the signal they have no clue, and suggest I get a tech out here to check it out. I have checked all the connections from the dish to the UDC then in the cabinet receptecles, and the back of the Sat receiver, all seems to be tight. For the picture issue I went to town to see if I could find some new RCA cables, can you believe it no stores in Donaldsonville, GA had any, and at home I have a sack full of them. When checking the connections I took all the receptecles out and checked the connections on the back side.

Garypowell

You don't mention if it has ever worked. You do seem to indicate you are traveling from the "at home I have cables" remark.

The he other thing I don't understand is if you have a 2014 rig the TV's probably only take HDMI or composite cables. Granted you can use 3 RCA cables to get the job done. Your Directv box should also have HDMI.

If what I say is correct you could switch over to HDMI.

Another possibility is your directv box has gone bad.

Keep us posted.

danemayer

Hi navyAZ1,

Sounds like you have more than one problem. The funny colors on the TV screen suggest either the TV's menu settings are wrong, or the cables are plugged into the wrong connectors. The TV may have component connectors as well as AVI connectors. They look the same but function differently. Since you didn't mention what receiver you have, I don't know if there is a similar potential to plug into the wrong connectors there. Regardless, I agree with Gary that the easiest fix for this problem is to get an HDMI cable which you can find anywhere - assuming your satellite receiver isn't ancient.

To figure out what's going on between the dish and the receiver, start by connecting coax directly from the dish to the receiver, bypassing the RV's wiring. Once you get it working (which eliminates the possibility of a broken receiver, or a dish aiming problem), you can start investigating the trailer wiring.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Ron, having the grey with white letter picture is a classic symptom of an incorrect connection, whether it is a bad cable or incorrect setting.
I agree with Gary that HDMI is the way to go.
But everything should work with the RCA cables.
Is your TV input set correctly? It will need to be set to A/V.

Peace
Dave

navyAZ1

Hey guys, the Directv receiver is for the old "standard" signal it is not HD thus there is not a HDMI access for this receiver. I traced all the RCA cables and they all appear to be plugged into the correct locations. This coach is new we just got it 3 weeks ago and this is our first trip out in it. The Toshiba tv that's in the coach does not have a A/V setting in the input menu all it offers are 3 HDMI choices, the antenna/cable choice, and one called "Color Stream" which when selected that's the one the Directv picture comes thru even tho it is a poor picture. It's been pouring rain here today so I plan to run the cable direct from the dish to the receiver tomorrow and see what we've got, plus a friend who lives here local is bringing me a new set of RCA cables to try.

navyAZ1

I may when we get home switch to HD for the camper also, we have in the house. I've always stayed with the old standard signal because it is just easier to set up.

danemayer

"Color Stream"
The Toshiba manuals identify Color Stream as Component video, not AVI. If your receiver has Component connectors, switch to those. If not, and your TV doesn't have AVI inputs, you'll need a different receiver.

stevenssr

As far as the satellite signal, have you verified that you are connected to the right coax connector in the UDC? There is a sticker in the left side of my box that tells you which connection goes where (so that's a good verification method).

Scott

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Hey Ron,

Not sure if this is relevant since your talking Sat connection, but when we initially set up the Toshiba, the DVDs were B&W......had to turn OFF the Color Stream. See y'all soon!!

Lance

navyAZ1

Well it's amazing what you can learn when you read "all" of the owners manual. The Toshiba owners manual states "satellite users will need to use a HD receiver to work with this tv", so I guess it is time to make the switch from the old standard dish to Hi-Def.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Well it's amazing what you can learn when you read "all" of the owners manual. The Toshiba owners manual states "satellite users will need to use a HD receiver to work with this tv", so I guess it is time to make the switch from the old standard dish to Hi-Def.
That's a great idea. I never understood why those of us with large HD TV's would not want to take advantage of the HD.
And Ron, aiming the HD dish takes only a few minutes more than the old standard def.
You wont regret it.

Peace
Dave

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Another alternative. Get an A/B switch and come out of the sat receiver with RG6 to the splitter. Disconnect the rooftop antenna coax from the TV and put it into the other input on the splitter. Come out of the splitter with RG6 to the TV input and set the TV to channel 3 or 4 whatever your receiver is set to. Turn on the TV set it to over the air signal and do a scan. It should detect the receiver signal. You may not need to do the scan, It may just pick it up. This is the old school basic set up and the A/B switch allows you to switch from OTA to Sat.

navyAZ1

Okay, all is well now. I bought a HD antenna and tripod, moved a HD receiver out of our bedroom in the house to the camper, put the standard receiver in the bedroom that was in the old camper. Found out the RG6 cable I was using from the receiver to the jack in the cabinet was bad, replaced it and then found out that I had the cable from the antenna (dish) plugged into the wrong jack in the UDC. All works well now, it was not as complicated as I had thought. Thanks for everyone's help and ideas.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Don't ya just love challenges???? Keeps the mind working. Glad you figured it all out Ron. Now sit back and enjoy.

SeattleLion

If you can't go with HDMI, then you need to confirm a few things:
  • Are you trying to connect with a single RCA plug (yellow) for video and then red and white for audio? If you are, then you need to go online to the set manufacturer's forum or check the manual to find out where the composite input is. On some sets it is the yellow jack, on others there is a separate composite input. All new TV's have them.
  • If you are trying to connect with the 4 RCA plugs, then I suggest you disregard them and just run a HDMI cord from your DirecTV receiver to the set.
Chances are very good that you have a bad connection, not a bad cable. It's hard to tell from here, but I am thinking you are connecting a composite output from the receiver to a component TV input (the multiple RCA plugs) on the TV. The black and white image suggests that you have connected the yellow plug to the yellow component jack. There may be a menu setting on the TV that lets you change the component input to composite. However, you can not get HD from a composite cable.

Good luck!

TXTiger

What satellite dish are you using. If it is a mobil dish, you can NOT get HD with DirectTV. Only the roof mounted dish can receive HD if your provider is DirectTV. Dish Network will get HD on mobil satellites like the Tailgater or the Pathway X2. AS others have already stated, run the cable from the dish to the receiver bypassing the RV coax, and the receiver to the Toshiba. If that doesn't get you a picture then you have a problem with the dish, receiver or cable from the receiver to the Toshiba. If it works then rerun the signal via the RV coax input in the UDC and troubleshoot form there.