Carrying scooter on rear bumper

Ssthrd

I would like to carry my 200 pound Ruckus on a 50 pound carrier attached to the rear bumper of my Wilderness 2750RL for an extended trip. Has anyone done this, and if so, were there any issues? Is there a better way?

I know that there will be torque applied to the bumper which is attached to the frame, and I wonder if the welds are strong enough to take the bouncing of a 250 pound setup like this for 15000 miles over 4 months.

Responses from hands on people who have done this would be great.

Thanks

IronJ

I wouldn't do it if you value your ruck !!!..it won't be there if you stick it on a bumper mount! ! ......

You would need a FRAME mounted hitch to even consider that....and even then it's tricky on those lite frames...

I carry my grom on a hitch Mount occasional on my trucks...I can't imagine that torque/bounce on the back of a trailer! ..

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

Ssthrd

Thanks IronJ. That was my gut feeling.

It's for my 83 year old stepdad to get around on, so i'll have to take it one way or the other. I might have to get creative with a ramp to the truck box, I guess. I'll need room to jackknife when he wants it........ I was thinking that it would be easier to deal with weight distribution and tongue weight with the bike in the back rather than have to use GVW room on the truck.

Any one else have an opinion?

IronJ

I've seen one on a front bumper reciever mount...that's a bumper pull trailer right? ..

Ramp the thing into bed of truck. ?...that's your best and safest move. ..your not gonna find a easy way to trailer it without some serious welding and even then I wouldn't trust that much weight off the butt end of a lite travel trailer frame.

And honestly, this is the exact dilema I was dealing with just before I threw in the Towel and got a toy hauler...lol😕

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

ram_1955

I have to concer with all of the above. We travel with DW's Pacesaver III. When we had a travel trailer had the lift on the bumper of the trailer with a box weighing less than the scooter, scooter was in the bed. Made a lunch stop and the bumper was about to come off the trailer. So don't haul the scooter on the trailer bumper.

We were also at GVWR of the truck with the scooter, two of us, and the trailer hitched.

We also went to the toy hauler. Now I carry an aluminum carrier in the bed of the truck that I put in the hitch on the truck after the fifth wheel is inhitched. Using this carrier makes my job of loading and unloading much easier and I don't have to mess with ramps, or taking the scooter apart, scooter is designed to come apart and be put in the trunk of a car.

Around home we have a power lift on the DW's Nissan Murano, had to add airbags inside the rear coil springs. Power lift is great like we use it but too heavy to make it portable, i.e. Move from one vehicle to another or from truck bed to hitch and back. I did fix/upgrade the bumper on the travel trailer and carried just the lift on it a couple of times but again too heavy to move to truck and back each time we moved on a trip.

Aluminum carrier is only about 50 lbs, maybe less as I don't use the ramp, sits between the tailgate and the fifth wheel hitch. Carrier has a 500 lbs carry capacity so more than enough for the scooter. Also gives me a way to haul scooter around town if we take the truck instead of DW's Murano. One other nice thing is that when this carrier is on the truck without the scooter on it the tailgate well open without hitting it. Allows putting stuff in the truck bed, close the tailgate then load the scooter.

Another thing to remember is any of the scooters are not weather proof so when hauling on a lift or in the bed of the truck a cover is required in case of rain. Also don't forget to tie the scooters to the lift, or when in the truck bed tie so they will not move and be damaged in a hard stop.

hoefler

Something else to consider, When you add 250# to the rear, you will remove 250# from the tongue/pin and will add a total of 500# to the axles.

Ssthrd

I appreciate your input, guys. A toy hauler sounds great, but it's not in the cards for us right now. Looks like the truck bed is the answer for me since it's a short term situation for this one trip.

I'll be pushing the rear axle limit on the Tundra, but it will be close for sure. I already have a decent 10K pound weight distribution setup, but I may have to invest in air bags/helper springs to keep the axle off the bump stops.

My kingdom for a one ton and a toy hauler........ :)

RoadJunkie

I have to ask myself...I weigh about 200 lbs...would I sit on the rear bumper and trust it not to break while my wife drives many miles down the road?