Carrying Water

Dylan

Filled the water for the first time, and we'll be dry camping for the first time. Sure it's not a problem, just curious if I'll feel a difference, and everything should be tight and safe while carrying what is probably around 600 plus pounds of water, since I'm told the tank is 75 gallons. Has anyone had any issues with carrying a full tank of water???

scottyb

I carry 110 gal and actually prefer the ride, with it full. I can't tell any difference in fuel mileage.

Dylan

Glad to hear. Pulling with a 2010 F350, diesel. Mileage not that good to begin with....getting maybe 11 mpg when towing.

I carry 110 gal and actually prefer the ride, with it full. I can't tell any difference in fuel mileage.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Since I am at max weight without the full tank I only fill it as close to the final stop as possible, and then only if I need the water as I am normally connected to city water.

TravisJen

We always boondock it so we're constantly pulling 110 gallons with us. Can't even tell the difference from dry. The only time it pulls differently is when the gray tanks are full (I'm assuming they're forward of the axle, seems to be more weight on the hitch).

Tomharg

I believe that the biggest concern is the weight and the tire loading. The fresh tanks are generally over the axles, or nearly so. That means pretty much all the 600 or so pounds is going to be on the suspension and tires. If you know that you are still within the tire weight limits, and to a lesser extent the axle limits (our tires can handle 7000# per pair while our axles are rated at 6000#), you should have no problems. If you are over either of those limits, however, I suggest watering up as close to the site as possible and keeping the speed down to avoid heating the tires or stressing the undercarriage. At least, that's what we do and haven't had problems (yet).

Aside note: we have found that a lot of water seems to slosh out of the tank through the vents if we have to go rocking, even slowly, down dirt roads. We have fairly accurate SeeLevel II gauges; when level and we fill to 100% with water coming out of the vents, then trundle down 7 miles of dirt road, we often show only 75-80% remaining at our site. As we maneuver to park the rig, we can see water coming out of the vents above the wheels on both sides, so this is probably the source of the loss. At least it is something to be aware of if your water is going to be critical.

Safe travels!

Tom

Dylan

Does that mean there's a chance I'll see water coming out? I would have thought if any came out, it would just be from the vent that's near the gravity fill?? You mention vents above the wheels on both sides???

I believe that the biggest concern is the weight and the tire loading. The fresh tanks are generally over the axles, or nearly so. That means pretty much all the 600 or so pounds is going to be on the suspension and tires. If you know that you are still within the tire weight limits, and to a lesser extent the axle limits (our tires can handle 7000# per pair while our axles are rated at 6000#), you should have no problems. If you are over either of those limits, however, I suggest watering up as close to the site as possible and keeping the speed down to avoid heating the tires or stressing the undercarriage. At least, that's what we do and haven't had problems (yet).

Aside note: we have found that a lot of water seems to slosh out of the tank through the vents if we have to go rocking, even slowly, down dirt roads. We have fairly accurate SeeLevel II gauges; when level and we fill to 100% with water coming out of the vents, then trundle down 7 miles of dirt road, we often show only 75-80% remaining at our site. As we maneuver to park the rig, we can see water coming out of the vents above the wheels on both sides, so this is probably the source of the loss. At least it is something to be aware of if your water is going to be critical.

Safe travels!

Tom

Tomharg

Ah, our Bighorn 3010 has a central water control station and the fresh fills using the same line that is also the suction line got the pump. It doesn't have a dedicated fill line with it's own vent/overflow. The vents come off the left and right top edges of the tank so they are more easily prone to spillage. If you have the more conventional dedicated fill and overflow, you probably won't have the problem.
Tom

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2