Caulking under shower frame

ErnieD

Four months with Heartland, second RV. Our Elk Ridge shower leaked under the frame. The dealer recaulked it 3 times w/o success. Three months later we "upgraded" to a BC. It's leaking too. I've recaulked it twice w/o success. The major water is not coming from opening the shower door, it's leaking under the metal frame. Our enthusiasm is dampened (ha). Can someone please help us? There's surely a fix for this.

jimtoo

Hi ErnieD,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information. I'm sure someone will jump in here and give you the answer.

Check out this thread for ideas.

Jim M

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Four months with Heartland, second RV. Our Elk Ridge shower leaked under the frame. The dealer recaulked it 3 times w/o success. Three months later we "upgraded" to a BC. It's leaking too. I've recaulked it twice w/o success. The major water is not coming from opening the shower door, it's leaking under the metal frame. Our enthusiasm is dampened (ha). Can someone please help us? There's surely a fix for this.
ErnieD, I understand your frustration. I tried several times until I finally removed the enclosure completely, cleaned and re-installed the enclosure and setting the base rails in silicone. The radius corner where the side pieces go (see photos) needed to be trimmed for a better fit before new silicone was used. I also believe some water still gets through the rubber seal that holds the glass in the panels.

Attachments

• before clean up.JPG
    before clean up.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 73
  • Left side base.JPG
    Left side base.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 74
  • Right side base.JPG
    Right side base.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 74
  • newly radiused corner.JPG
    newly radiused corner.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 75
  • corner fitment.JPG
    corner fitment.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 75
  • glass seal trim.jpg
    glass seal trim.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 75

ErnieD

Ray, thanks for the info. You went to a heck of a lot of trouble to clean up someone's mess. I'm not "handy" enough to tackle a job like that. Our rig is not even a month old. We shouldn't have to correct this but I'm afraid our dealer will just keep putting a band-aid on it. We're full-timers and it cost us a lot when we have to take the rig in.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ray, thanks for the info. You went to a heck of a lot of trouble to clean up someone's mess. I'm not "handy" enough to tackle a job like that. Our rig is not even a month old. We shouldn't have to correct this but I'm afraid our dealer will just keep putting a band-aid on it. We're full-timers and it cost us a lot when we have to take the rig in.
I understand completely. We're full time as well. I guess I'm fortunate to have a little "handy man" in me. Taking it to a dealer for us is a last resort. I had to when our fridge took a crap. Twice! The shower ended up being a half day job but hey, I'm retired. I have a little free time.:D

5erWonk

ErnieD

In addition to redoing the silicone bead where the frame meets fiberglass I siliconed each screw head in the frame, that finally stopped all of my leaking.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
What we thought was a frame leak, turned out to be water leaking behind the faucet assembly and the round access door. A little clear silicone on the top of the faucet assembly and a bead on top of the access door and no more leaks. I found it by accident when I was washing off some spilled shampoo above the faucet. Got out and there was the leak on the floor, but bigger, as I had concentrated the water spray at the top of the faucet.
Just a thought...