caulking

Grey Ghost

:( Living in Arizona and having an RV that sets outside all year is troublesome, The sun and other elments have devowered the caulking all over my RV and I'm getting ready to re-caulk everything....windows, doors, outside lights, outlets, roof, etc. Is is best to remove the old caulking prior to reapplying the new caulking? I think I know the answer to this question, just looking for someone to tell me it is necessary to remove all the old stuff first! :cool:

MTPockets

Remove as much as you can, but don't worry if some is left behind. Get the best sealant you can find. I'm sure there are lot's of opinions on what is best. I like ProFlex.. It's not the easiest to work with, but I find it bonds really well and holds up well in sun.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I really don't know if you have to remove the old caulk but I would.

Here is a Heartland Thread about Caulking .

Here is a link to Tweetys that sells Sika.

Also here is a chart I received from Sika rep when I was visitning Tweetys.
Sika Sealant product sheet.jpg

dalspot

I second the SikaFlex caulk. Be careful tho when you get it - it does have a shelf life, and a couple of tubes we found at Camping World were already past the expiration date. While still usable, it starts to set up in the tube and also becomes much harder to work with. I'd call any supplier and question them about how much turnover in the product they have.