Checking the propane level in tanks

porthole

Retired
I weigh the tanks periodically and use the attached file.

Attachments

• propane tank capacity.xls
    14 KB · Views: 34

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Having been duped by an auto-regulator before (it drew off both tanks simultaneously), I now only open one tank and check it frequently. If the furnace has been running, there will be a frost line on the open tank. I'd like to use the two tank gauges I've got (following the duping), but until I can replace the hoses with longer ones, there's no way to get them in the compartment.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Having been duped by an auto-regulator before (it drew off both tanks simultaneously), I now only open one tank and check it frequently. If the furnace has been running, there will be a frost line on the open tank. I'd like to use the two tank gauges I've got (following the duping), but until I can replace the hoses with longer ones, there's no way to get them in the compartment.

Please don't confuse the pointer with the auto-regulator. What you are supposed to do is to look at the indicator above the regulator pointer. When it shows red, you have to manually point it to the other line - the pointer does not automatically move.

JohnDar

Please don't confuse the pointer with the auto-regulator. What you are supposed to do is to look at the indicator above the regulator pointer. When it shows red, you have to manually point it to the other line - the pointer does not automatically move.

That was the problem...it never showed RED. Just drew down both tanks until I had to scramble late one Sunday night to find someplace to get a fill. Recent experience with my 3670 indicates it's going to do the same thing...

2010augusta

That was the problem...it never showed RED. Just drew down both tanks until I had to scramble late one Sunday night to find someplace to get a fill. Recent experience with my 3670 indicates it's going to do the same thing...

I have never had it draw from both tanks, which way is the indicator pointing? Left, right or up? I always flip our from left to right and back. I don't know what happens if it is pointing up. I just wish it was on the door side tank so I didn't have to walk around the trailer to check the tanks.

JohnDar

I have never had it draw from both tanks, which way is the indicator pointing? Left, right or up? I always flip our from left to right and back. I don't know what happens if it is pointing up. I just wish it was on the door side tank so I didn't have to walk around the trailer to check the tanks.

I've never set the pointer to the center. On the TT, it was pointed to one side...forever...until I had no furnace and the temp was falling (summer in Michigan, gotta love it). With the 3670, recently, I had the pointer to the right, the tank I knew was used and also had the valve on the left tank open because I knew it was full. To my surprise after a few days, the right tank still had a frost line just below half, but the left tank was now empty. So, now I don't open both tanks and check them frequently if we've been running the furnace. You can loosen the tank hold-down and easily tell if it's near empty or not just by lifting the tank a little. Probably expensive beyond belief, but some weight transducers or electronic scales under the tanks, wired to a display inside might be a way to tell how much propane you have at a glance without a fuss.

Johnm

I wanna go camping - NOW
With the Marshall 250 auto changeover regulator it will draw from both tanks ... first from the "Service" tank and then from the "Reserve" tank. You, the RV owner, turn the selector lever to the "Service" tank (whichever tank you want to use first) and the other tank becomes your "Reserve" tank. The "Service" tank is the one that shows green, or red, on the indicator. If it's green, then you have gas in the "Service" tank and you are drawing from the "Service" tank. If it's red, the "Service" tank is empty and you are drawing from the "Reserve" tank.

Now, if it's red, switch the lever to the "Reserve" tank. This "Reserve" tank now becomes your "Service" tank and, if you have propane in the "Reserve" tank, the indicator will turn green. You can now close the valve on the empty tank and have it filled and reinstall it and it now becomes your "Reserve" tank.

The "only" thing you need to do is keep checking to see if you have a green, or red indicator. If it's green, you're good to go. If it's red, you need to fill that tank but you ARE drawing off the other tank. So, if you don't watch the indicator and it turns red, it WILL drain your "Reserve" tank which will leave you without propane.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Just got this today from Kim Komando. Looks like a solution if you are willing to part with $30, plus shipping.

http://store.komando.com/p-625-elec...=electronic_propane_monitor&utm_campaign=save

Chuck - and all,

I checked the KK site out a few days ago and liked this gauge better than any others I've seen. I finally decided to buy - hey were out! I searched around and found them here. Cheaper, too.

Enlarge Electronic Propane Level Indicator & Safety Gauge

Price: $29.95
Now $21.00 Quantity:
GasWatch™ - Model 212E

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A new generation high-end electronic propane tank level indicator, GasWatch™ model TVL 212E comes with an easy to read level gauge and a remote LED display. Having an audible alarm for low level of propane in the tank and with built-in safety features of leak detector and emergency flow-limiter, GasWatch™ 212E provides complete peace of mind to all grill users. Powered with a 9V battery, the remote LED display is fitted with Velcro and can be conveniently mounted in front of the grill panel with a 3ft cord.

“Easy To Connect, Easy To Read, No Tools Required”, TVL 212 E connects between propane tank and the equipment regulator.

Ideal for use with BBQ Gas Grills, Patio Heaters, Smokers, Turkey Fryers, Camping Stoves, Cookers, RVs, Boats and all Outdoor Propane Appliances.[/FONT]
text_features.gif

bullet.gif
Electronic Gas Level Indicator
bullet.gif
Remote Color LED Display for
spacer.gif
Different Tank Levels
bullet.gif
Low Level Audible Alarm
bullet.gif
Emergency Flow Limiter
bullet.gif
Built-in Leak Detector
bullet.gif
Can be used on tanks up to
spacer.gif
40 lbs with Type 1 connection
bullet.gif
Installs in Seconds!
bullet.gif
No Tools Required!
bullet.gif
UL Listed

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
HTneighbors

You sold me on it as well. I just ordered three - 2 for the Bighorn and one for the BBQ.

JohnDar

With the Marshall 250 auto changeover regulator it will draw from both tanks ... first from the "Service" tank and then from the "Reserve" tank. You, the RV owner, turn the selector lever to the "Service" tank (whichever tank you want to use first) and the other tank becomes your "Reserve" tank. The "Service" tank is the one that shows green, or red, on the indicator. If it's green, then you have gas in the "Service" tank and you are drawing from the "Service" tank. If it's red, the "Service" tank is empty and you are drawing from the "Reserve" tank.

Now, if it's red, switch the lever to the "Reserve" tank. This "Reserve" tank now becomes your "Service" tank and, if you have propane in the "Reserve" tank, the indicator will turn green. You can now close the valve on the empty tank and have it filled and reinstall it and it now becomes your "Reserve" tank.

The "only" thing you need to do is keep checking to see if you have a green, or red indicator. If it's green, you're good to go. If it's red, you need to fill that tank but you ARE drawing off the other tank. So, if you don't watch the indicator and it turns red, it WILL drain your "Reserve" tank which will leave you without propane.

HUZZAH! That's the first real explanation of how the thing is supposed to perform that I've seen. Thanks!

JohnDar

Chuck - and all,

I checked the KK site out a few days ago and liked this gauge better than any others I've seen. I finally decided to buy - hey were out! I searched around and found them here. Cheaper, too.

Enlarge Electronic Propane Level Indicator & Safety Gauge

Price: $29.95
Now $21.00 Quantity:
GasWatch™ - Model 212E

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A new generation high-end electronic propane tank level indicator, GasWatch™ model TVL 212E comes with an easy to read level gauge and a remote LED display. Having an audible alarm for low level of propane in the tank and with built-in safety features of leak detector and emergency flow-limiter, GasWatch™ 212E provides complete peace of mind to all grill users. Powered with a 9V battery, the remote LED display is fitted with Velcro and can be conveniently mounted in front of the grill panel with a 3ft cord.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]“Easy To Connect, Easy To Read, No Tools Required”, TVL 212 E connects between propane tank and the equipment regulator.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ideal for use with BBQ Gas Grills, Patio Heaters, Smokers, Turkey Fryers, Camping Stoves, Cookers, RVs, Boats and all Outdoor Propane Appliances.[/FONT]
text_features.gif

bullet.gif
Electronic Gas Level Indicator
bullet.gif
Remote Color LED Display for
spacer.gif
Different Tank Levels
bullet.gif
Low Level Audible Alarm
bullet.gif
Emergency Flow Limiter
bullet.gif
Built-in Leak Detector
bullet.gif
Can be used on tanks up to
spacer.gif
40 lbs with Type 1 connection
bullet.gif
Installs in Seconds!
bullet.gif
No Tools Required!
bullet.gif
UL Listed

I've got the tank gages (without the digital display), but unless I get longer, more flexible hoses, they won't fit in the 3670 tank compartment. Need to rotate the tanks 90 degrees to get them in. On the "To Do" list.