Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel

Lewis

We just purchased a Cyclone 4100HD (45') Fifth Wheel and it is our first trip to OBX. MapQuest is taking us under the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel from MD to VA. What is the clearance of the tunnel? Do tractor tailors travel under that tunnel? Is it safe?

jimtoo

Re: Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnell

Hi Lewis,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Hopefully someone will jump in soon with the info for you.

Jim M

pegmikef

We just purchased a Cyclone 4100HD (45') Fifth Wheel and it is our first trip to OBX. MapQuest is taking us under the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel from MD to VA. What is the clearance of the tunnel? Do tractor tailors travel under that tunnel? Is it safe?

I seem to recall from years ago that NO propane tanks are allowed in that tunnel. Don't know about the clearance.

On edit. There is still a restriction, but it looks like it is for 45 pounds per tank and greater (the way I read it) unless it is the vehicles fuel source.

http://www.cbbt.com/gas.html

jbeletti

I believe I've been on the CBBT. Turn off propane tanks, pay a large toll and roll :)

happyappy

I'm not sure whether this will help your decision or not...but fireman bill posted a video going through the bridge awhile back. :)

Here's the link to the post.

Saildogs

Tractor trailers use it all the time. The view from the bridge is spectacular. There is a great parking area with restrooms on the Eastern Shore side of the tunnel. We stop there to turn off the propane on the way south and then to turn it back on going north. Usually the gate is open into the wildlife refuge and we take a good walk with the dogs. DO NOT stop at the restaurant in the middle of the bridge tunnel as there is little room for RVs to maneuver.

A few miles north of the bridge tunnel on the Eastern Shore is Stingrays restaurant. There is good RV parking and we always buy lots of barbecue sauce and Virginia Diner peanuts.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired

Tunnel Clearances:
24 feet horizontal; 13 feet 6 inches vertical

Right from the cbbt.com website. Also has toll schedule and regs on propane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dalspot

If you have anything that sets off that height detector, they will stop you ahead of the toll booth and run you thru a clearance detector. We used to drive a tractor trailer, our antenna on the mirror was just a tad over 13'6" - we'd get stopped every time for a height check, but they cleared us and we traveled it many times. Fireman Bills video is pretty cool - check it out!