Chevy vs Dodge

Charles

Hi all, Newbie Here

My wife and I will be purchasing this year and it has come down to (thx to consumer rpts) the Chevy or Dodge 3/4 ton truck. We will be pulling either the Bighorn 3055RL or the Montana 3150RL. I have specs and prices, so I am now looking for personal opinion.

Any thoughts on specific differences or qualitative characteristics would be appreciated.

Charles & Karen

jnbhobe

A lot of things going on with trucks right now. Chevy and Ford both have their 2011 models available now or very soon. Dodges HD truck was a new design in 2010. So there seems to be a lot of good choices out there.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
You will get lots of opinions but my vote is Dodge. We had an 05 Dodge, pulled across country and loved it. Only problem is that we couldn't get a jake brake installed (which you can now with a 3/4 tons) so we upgraded to a 3500 srw which I can not say enough good things about. Good luck. Byrd

Two Hands

If you decide on the Chevrolet you should wait for the 2011 models. The 2500 and 3500HD models are supposed to have a much larger fuel tank, an engine brake, and a built in electric brake controller. At least that is the information that came from this site not long ago. I would think they might be available in about August. If I could just win the lottery I could have one of those beauties.

musicman

I just purchased a 2010 Dodge 3/4 ton Crew Cab Diesel / Automatic and we are pulling a 2011 Big Horn 3185 RL. The trailer is 35 feet long and weights 12,000 lbs. The pick up has everything we need to pull our trailer. We love it! I got the Big Horn Edition so it would match our Big Horn 5th Wheel. That was important to me. Dealer thought I was crazy, buyng it in Texas and all, but they kept their end of the bargain.

RollingHome

Charles, This is just my opinion... I believe all 3 of our countries truck makers make equal trucks and it is just a matter of what you personally like. However, I agree with Randy, I would not purchase a 3/4 ton truck to pull a heavy 5th wheel, I would move up to a 1 ton (or more). I would also get a integreted brake controller (built into the dash). I bellieve at this time Dodge is the most competively priced TV (tow vehicle). What you add as options will drive the cost higher. I really like the looks of the Ford, yet the power of the Dodge Cummins can't be beat ! That being said, I bought a Chevolet NBS 3500HD dually long bed and I am very satisfied. The GM bed is deeper with the NBS and I like that (I can hide my stuff better). But, it has given me heartburn because of towing a 5th wheel and hitch interference issues. I sincerely believe, the engineers at all 3 makers have mastered their task and have designed good trucks. Whatever you decide on should be good for you - IF - it's big enough to tow your new toy. Remember, this is just my opinion and others may differ.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
People keep talking about some sort of interference with the GMC 3500HD bed and the hitch. Show me a photo of this interference. This is a 2009 GMC 3500HD dually with a 2009 BH3670 sitting on it. The only thing I keep an eye on during tight backing manuevers is the plastic hitch box cover contacting the rails for the bed cover. Even that would not be a problem since the cover flexes easily and there is plenty of room between it and the hitch box.

View attachment 8379

TXBobcat

Fulltime
OK... What is NBS.. ???

I am sure I should know and it is probably obvious.. Brain won't engage right now...

BC

RollingHome

NBS = New Body Style is 2007 1/2 GMC products verses the Classic Body Style (CBS) pre 2007 1/2 GMC products.

John, don't ya remember all the troubles I had and posted in an earlier thread ? You were one of the posters who identified my problem and helped me. It was a scenario of my TV being too close to my RV, I'll post a pic to refresh your memory. I am still in the process of correcting this fiasco, you won't believe what I went thru. You my friend have a "standard" Liebert 1621HD pin box with a hitch which gives you plenty of clearance. Anything else is heartburn city because of clearance issues. After I finally get the fiasco straightened out I intend to share with everyone thru the forum the final fix. The entire problem was created when I purchased the optional Trailair pin box. The Trailair pin box has turned out to be the pin box from Hades with the NBS GM TV's ... Tom

boatdoc

No such thing as a 3/4 ton truck for pulling a 5th wheel of any size!!!! The price diff is so little why even think about a 3/4 ton truck and while we're at it, a dually would be best.

ricatic

I pull my 09 3055RL with my 04 F250 CC SB 4WD 6.0PSD pickup. It has the camper package on it so it has the F350 rear suspension. I do not see any reason to go to a dually for this size trailer. I would get a 350/3500 series in any new truck I buy because the ride is essentially the same and you do get an extra 1000 pounds GVW, but only with the stroke of a pen. Any larger trailer and I would get a dually.

BruteForce

Vehicles always boil down to personal preference. With that being said, the Ford's generally have higher towing ratings, but the Dodge has the stronger motor (6.7 CTD). I think the Fords interior is a bit nicer than the Dodge (unless you get a Dodge Laramie Mega-Cab).

robnmo

My .02 cents. we've got a 1 ton 2007 Dodge Laramie w/ 6.7 cummins w/ exhaust brake, a friend has a Ford 1 ton, appearance the Ford wins hands down (inside and out) also in ride, pulling power and handling the Dodge wins (his words not mine) He's had very little problems, we've had nothing major, but have been plagued with ck engine light codes, most taken care of under warranty (5 codes in 10K mile). We just received a recall for a reprogram of the ECM (2nd time) which is supposed to correct the problems and clear the latest code. We had to send all our records and codes to Chrysler for reimbursement (particulate filter, and hopefully the O2 sensors). There does seem to be some bugs that need to be worked out of the computer system of the 6.7...............but with that said, we'd still go Dodge and Cummins again. Chevy............can't say one way or the other.

Charlie Harris

If I could redo my first purchase, it would be to get the dually, you will appreciate it later. My Bihorn 3400 shows 14K from the factory, but all loaded up and ready to roll, it tops 16K. I have a single rear wheel but will buy the dually next. As for brand, all will work with their Heavy Duty setups, but I like the new Dodge myself.

wdk450

You will get lots of opinions but my vote is Dodge. We had an 05 Dodge, pulled across country and loved it. Only problem is that we couldn't get a jake brake installed (which you can now with a 3/4 tons) so we upgraded to a 3500 srw which I can not say enough good things about. Good luck. Byrd

I got an aftermarket D-Celerator exhaust brake installed on my 2004 Dodge 1 ton.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
My 3/4 ton F-250 is just right for our Sundance ultra-lite. ( I'm near the trucks payload limit). Like others are suggesting you should have a 1 ton or larger truck to be safe and legal.

Last edited: